• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The War in Ukraine

War is hell and this is straight from a sci-fi horror movie (even if it is an Ork, it’s just such a terrible way to die being chased by an electronic flying murder bomb.)

I hope we never, ever see desperate 🇨🇦 lads being chased around, mercilessly hunted with no place to hide.

Agreed.

To think this is the new norm as war evolves into it's next chapter is just depressing to realize...

I hate seeing footage like that, of some troop trying to run away or hide from some small little drone buzzing around like an insect - being intelligently controlled until it explodes and leaves a bloody body laying in the grass.

I realize it's a new norm for this next iteration of land warfare, and war is hell in so many ways. Important, but ugly to see.

Agreed.

To think this is the new norm as war evolves into it's next chapter is just depressing to realize...

I hate seeing footage like that, of some troop trying to run away or hide from some small little drone buzzing around like an insect - being intelligently controlled until it explodes and leaves a bloody body laying in the grass.

I realize it's a new norm for this next iteration of land warfare, and war is hell in so many ways. Important, but ugly to see.
Thinking outside of the box. Is there any merit of individual soldiers having some sort of 'EMP' (Electro-Magnetic Pulse) on themselves that they can active in situations like that and 'zap' any non-shielded devices within a 10-15 meter radius? Would something like that be even possible? Send out a strong magnetic pulse to render these hunter/killer drones useless?

Thinking outside of the box. Is there any merit of individual soldiers having some sort of 'EMP' (Electro-Magnetic Pulse) on themselves that they can active in situations like that and 'zap' any non-shielded devices within a 10-15 meter radius? Would something like that be even possible? Send out a strong magnetic pulse to render these hunter/killer drones useless?
Full disclosure on what I am about to say - I'm talking out of my ass in terms of being a subject matter expert.

As far as I know, electromagnetic pulses require a huge amount of energy to physically manifest & be effective (think nuclear detonation)

I would think having some sort of microwave weapon could be more feasible. They already exist in the form of certain missiles, but tend to exist in that grey zone beteeen classifief R&D and open source knowledge. (Think 2003, re shock and awe phase of Operation Iraqi Freedom. I think UKR troops were even experimenting with 'microwave rifles' last year...)

How feasible would it be for individual troops to each have one, even if it's for one time use? Financially, it probably isn't...

Maybe at the platoon level though, or company level, to have some sort of microwave/laser/EMP safe haven where troops could try to muster to for enhanced protection from drones?

With how pervasive drones of all kinds have become on the battlefield - thinking outside the box for solutions is a good thing, and any ideas that protect troops from them have merit

Great to see creativity with RuAF PR staff…

…by exploding RuAF munitions. 😂
I expect the Ukrainians know exactly how many they sent but for the rest of us there is a lesson there that in order to get through you will need to send multiple (read as many) assets on each mission and expect that only a few will get through. I expect their major facilities, including ammo dumps, are high on the air defence priority list.

The more that I see of these types of missions the more I see a need for tight air and ground strike planning at the edge of tactical v strategic levels.

🍻

War is hell and this is straight from a sci-fi horror movie (even if it is an Ork, it’s just such a terrible way to die being chased by an electronic flying murder bomb.)

I hope we never, ever see desperate 🇨🇦 lads being chased around, mercilessly hunted with no place to hide.

One day we will, and that super sucks

We need to equip our force with doctrine, training, and equipment to mitigate and minimize the threat. But small UAS hunting down individuals soldiers aren’t going away. We’ll likely see them in acts of terrorism in Canadian soil too.

At 2:00 a view from a Gepard taking out a Sharad drone. Also a breeching operation.

Call me crazy but - from a non-Gunner POV - I'm thinking something like the Gepard might be an important piece of kit in our future LLAD arsenal...

Get Crazy Horse GIF by Gegenbauer

Call me crazy but - from a non-Gunner POV - I'm thinking something like the Gepard might be an important piece of kit in our future LLAD arsenal...
I'm kind of in the Skynex family of 35mm low level close in system with AHEAD. The system can be slapped onto all types of vehicles including an ACSV.

Rheinmetall_demonstrates_Skynex_Air_Defense_System_to_counter_swarm_of_drones_925_001.jpg

I'd mix them with Moog turrets on either ACSVs or even TAPVs if technically feasible.

riwp-product.jpeg

I wonder if we still have these in storage?

Twin35 and Skyguards in storage Montreala.JPG

🍻

One day we will, and that super sucks

We need to equip our force with doctrine, training, and equipment to mitigate and minimize the threat. But small UAS hunting down individuals soldiers aren’t going away. We’ll likely see them in acts of terrorism in Canadian soil too.
While we await to fill those gaps, start teaching soldiers to skeet shoot and issue semi-auto shotguns.

View attachment 88137

🍻
The problem with any of the German gear is that they are in no hurry to produce it.

I would think if Canada has any of the twin 35 mm we would have refurbished it by now or given it to Ukraine or more likely refurbished it and given it away. Because .. well, you know why.

I am at the point now where I think it’s time we stop giving stuff away, stop buying stuff for Ukraine and start arming this country’s armed forces as our first and only short-medium-long term priority. I support Ukraine slapping the Red Army around but let’s face it- we’re next with Putin as he looks at the Arctic.

I'm kind of in the Skynex family of 35mm low level close in system with AHEAD. The system can be slapped onto all types of vehicles including an ACSV.

Rheinmetall_demonstrates_Skynex_Air_Defense_System_to_counter_swarm_of_drones_925_001.jpg

I'd mix them with Moog turrets on either ACSVs or even TAPVs if technically feasible.

riwp-product.jpeg

View attachment 88137

🍻

1726962819795.png1726962819304.png1726962819328.png

This is what I would be wanting for my Heavy Weapons Platoon in my Light Infantry Company.

Defensive and Offensive - 30 mm instead of 12.7 mm along with 70mm missiles/rockets.

35mm for Battalion and Brigade along with SHORAD/MRAD.

The system can be slapped onto all types of vehicles including an ACSV.
The ACSV hull is taller than a LAV hull plus turret. It was designed so CP staff and medics could stand while working. It is not the platform for any gun system other than its own protective RWS.

Back