• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The War in Ukraine

Hopefully they will move some marine drones there and go after Russian naval assets in Koningsberg.
Load them up on a freighter leaving Odessa and head for the Baltic. Drop'em offshore and watch the fire works.

Both ;)

I was actually talking about the FPV drones - as I think the Turtles are a 0…

The rolling sheds do look ridiculous.

I think with FPVs it depends on what the target is. They do seem to be good at chasing conscripts across the steppe, but the vehicle kills are usually on something that is either unarmored or already out of action.

Worth it to avoid Bloggins having to dodge mines, Russians, etc. to deliver a suitable parcel in person?

Of course; but if you could get people to a disabled vehicle, it might be worth attempting to recover it and turn it against its former users. Both sides have an incentive to destroy/deny abandoned equipment rather than run the risk that the enemy will recover it.

The first tanks were kind of like rolling sheds - a mobile layer of protection around crewed weapons.

I mean, more dead and wounded Russian soldiers is good of course, but are hundred odd mobiks in a field a particularly good ROI for four ATACMS? They’re basically cannon fodder anyway. I’m surprised the missiles weren’t saved for more important equipment.
Maybe maybe not, we have sent a few thousand now - so I think they have some spare’s. In Kharkiv, I think they really want to bleed out Russians before they get to the front if they can.

I mean, more dead and wounded Russian soldiers is good of course, but are hundred odd mobiks in a field a particularly good ROI for four ATACMS? They’re basically cannon fodder anyway. I’m surprised the missiles weren’t saved for more important equipment.

It's hard to say with the limited details available whether the ROI is worth it. One thing to note is that the Ukrainians were watching the location, which is 80km behind the front, with a view to hit it with long range fire. In all likelihood, the drone was probably sent there in response to some other sort of intelligence. Based on what they saw, the Ukrainians felt it was worth expending four missiles.

We don't know that they are in the category of "disposable" mobiks; given the location they could be CSS troops.

My own view is that if you can see about 120 troops, that is already more than most Russian companies have. Also, there are probably a bunch more soldiers nearby that you can't see. That would make this a Bn or Bn(-) target, which is probably worth the warheads.

If nothing else, the psychological impact of hitting a grouping of soldiers deep within the AD umbrella and 80km behind the front lines would be considerable.

It's hard to say with the limited details available whether the ROI is worth it. One thing to note is that the Ukrainians were watching the location, which is 80km behind the front, with a view to hit it with long range fire. In all likelihood, the drone was probably sent there in response to some other sort of intelligence. Based on what they saw, the Ukrainians felt it was worth expending four missiles.

We don't know that they are in the category of "disposable" mobiks; given the location they could be CSS troops.

My own view is that if you can see about 120 troops, that is already more than most Russian companies have. Also, there are probably a bunch more soldiers nearby that you can't see. That would make this a Bn or Bn(-) target, which is probably worth the warheads.

If nothing else, the psychological impact of hitting a grouping of soldiers deep within the AD umbrella and 80km behind the front lines would be considerable.
Totally fair points, and well made.

Back