• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The War in Ukraine

And Canad....oh, nevermind.

You'd be surprised. And this just happens to be an acquaintance. There's work going at all the warfare centres, RMC, DRDC, etc to do definition work. The real problem is likely to be whether our procurement system can keep up with the pace of change. Or if it's like GBAD where we write specs for a CRAM/LLAD system to protect a fixed base and stick with it, because we're too worried about how long it'll take to reboot.

It's not like we don't have CAF members who haven't done postgrads looking at cheaper drones:

We suck at employing these talents in the right away.

Interesting little article. Was completely shocked to read that 1,140 Rosel's have been sent to Ukraine. I know that they are not are the same level as a LAV or a Bradley, but these numbers are quite substantial never the less.

A Canadian armored vehicle manufacturer is bringing production to Ukraine​

As of June 6th, 2024, Roshel has delivered 1,140 Senators to Ukraine. Canada donated 8 of these armored vehicles at the outset of Vladimir Putin’s full-scale invasion and went on to donate 200 more in January 2023 at a cost of $92 million dollars.

Roshel’s Senator MRAP is built on a Ford F550 chassis and has been tested to meet NATO standards. The MARP version of the armored vehicle also has its STANAG 2 ballistic protection and STANAG 3 blast protection certificates. “This means that they can withstand a 7.62mm round from 30 meters [or 100 feet], an 8kg [or a 17 pound] explosive blast, and a 155mm high explosive shell impact at 80 meters [or roughly 262 feet],” Ukrianska Pravda explained

Meanwhile, over at the ICC ...

From the statement:
1719323972741.png
Also archived here.

Meanwhile, over at the ICC ...

From the statement:
View attachment 86179
Also archived here.
Which means absolutely nothing unless Putin gets toppled.

I always get a kick out of Russian claims.

But confirmation would be if all of a sudden a lot of Russian airbases go up in smoke.

Interesting little article. Was completely shocked to read that 1,140 Rosel's have been sent to Ukraine. I know that they are not are the same level as a LAV or a Bradley, but these numbers are quite substantial never the less.

A Canadian armored vehicle manufacturer is bringing production to Ukraine​

As of June 6th, 2024, Roshel has delivered 1,140 Senators to Ukraine. Canada donated 8 of these armored vehicles at the outset of Vladimir Putin’s full-scale invasion and went on to donate 200 more in January 2023 at a cost of $92 million dollars.

Roshel’s Senator MRAP is built on a Ford F550 chassis and has been tested to meet NATO standards. The MARP version of the armored vehicle also has its STANAG 2 ballistic protection and STANAG 3 blast protection certificates. “This means that they can withstand a 7.62mm round from 30 meters [or 100 feet], an 8kg [or a 17 pound] explosive blast, and a 155mm high explosive shell impact at 80 meters [or roughly 262 feet],” Ukrianska Pravda explained
I wonder how they're using them? RAS/TACSEC jobs? Combat admin roles? Last ditch APC on the front? I'd be interested to read reports on what it's actually being used for and to what effect.

I wonder how they're using them? RAS/TACSEC jobs? Combat admin roles? Last ditch APC on the front? I'd be interested to read reports on what it's actually being used for and to what effect.
I could see them being used along the border areas of Transnistria and possibly Belarus, would free up other APC/AFV's to be used along the front lines. Possibly as med/evac's as well.

I could see them being used along the border areas of Transnistria and possibly Belarus, would free up other APC/AFV's to be used along the front lines. Possibly as med/evac's as well.
Agreed. I don’t think anyone is confusing what the Senator is over there. It isn’t a front line vehicle - but it’s a good light armored vehicle for tasks outside of the direct combat area.

With the threat of warheads flying, I'm not so sure. I want to see the Russkis fucked up as much as the next guy but let's not forget they have the world's second most dangerous nuclear arsenal.
Putin dotes on his grandkids - he's not going to actually use a Nuke - and Xi would castrate him slowly with a spoon for that anyway -
Russians are big on rhetoric (as are Arabs, and DJT) a lot of what they say is silly face saving gestures that aren't serious - as they know we can play the Asymetrical Warfare game too...

Yes, there is a non-zero chance that Putin could order a tactical nuke in Ukraine on "Russian Territory" as a signal to the west, but it decreases at every stage between his mouth and the actual drop/launch as it passes through the multiple officers within military orders system. And they are not at the ready (and operational status is iffy), they have to be removed from storage first and then moved to the site from where they will be used. All noticeable events that will have the USA, France, UK, China and likely India very rapidly telling him to knock it off or else. All of which reduces that non-zero number by a few orders of magnitude. Might as well play the lottery it probably has odds that are similar. A dirty bomb might be used but other than as a signal, its utility is minimal unless on a big city.

And even if Putin is suicidal, it is unlikely everyone needed to pass the orders through also is cool with killing themselves and everyone around them. Although the western response would initially be non nuclear it WOULD be massive and not just at launch/command and control sites. So the likelihood of a STRATEGIC missile launch against NATO is zero.

Last edited:
Agreed. I don’t think anyone is confusing what the Senator is over there. It isn’t a front line vehicle - but it’s a good light armored vehicle for tasks outside of the direct combat area.
Maybe it would be useful to replace the TAPV. If the threat level dictates LAV protection, just use a LAV.

Back