• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Wearing and Location of The Poppy- Uniform/Civilian

I've heard a lot about wearing the poppy 'over the heart.'  Now, I'm not one of those people who get all riled up when people attribute emotions or whatever to a part of the anatomy separate from the brain but I will venture that this 'over the heart' explanation is false.  I rather believe the placement of the poppy and the placement of the heart are coincidal.  Let me explain:

1. Men's coats button in the front, usually with the left-hand side laying over the right (just a bit for single-breasted, more for DB).  This was orginally to permit right-handed men (the majority) to draw their swords without catching them on the fringe of their clothes.  This cut of coat/jacket therefore placed buttons on the right side and buttonholes on the left side of the jacket.  Eventually lapels were cut into the common shape we see them in today's suits, with the top part folded back instead of up as in a high-collared tunic. 

2. At some point after lapels were folded down, men decided to wear a flower in their buttonhole for style or whatever.  As the majority of coats are single-breasted (except for us sailors) and cut for right-handed men, the flower was necessarily on through the left-lapel, near the top.

3. After the Great War, when poppies were worn, they naturally followed the place of all other flowers: in the lapel buttonhole.  I imagine women would place them on the opposite side since that is where the buttonhole on women's coats is (presumably they don't have to draw a sword, or are all left-handed).

4.  On headdress:  I do not know if men wore poppies on their civvy hats as they would with military headdress. Perhaps not, because I do not recall hearing that civvy hats are as important as military headdress.  Though various hats were once a key part of various suits as dress & undress caps are a key part of various uniforms.  (Personally, I wear the poppy on my civvy hats if I happen to be wearing one during the beginning of Nov.)

Anyway, that's not the result of years of historical research, simply a different rational argument as to why the poppy is worn on the left.  Since I believe this argument, I wish poppies came with wire stems so they could be placed properly in the buttonhole instead of pinned near it.  I also get irritated (not a lot, I'm not obsessive!) when I see women having pinned a poppy on their left lapel, leaving a forlorn buttonhole on their right.

I usually shoot dirty looks at people starting 12 November who are still wearing them.

Me too.

Michael Dorosh said:
I've never heard of wearing the poppy all month - I usually shoot dirty looks at people starting 12 November who are still wearing them.   It says to me that they really didn't think about why they are wearing it and forgot to take it off. ;-)  

In Niagara, it's not uncommon to see people wearing the poppy throughout November. I was downtown Fort Erie today, and saw three individuals wearing a poppy.

hey i dont care when they wear the poppy. it commemorates all whove fallen regaurdless.

i dont care when they wear the poppy as long as they all wear it on the same day once a year. i cant RememBer which day that was... must have slipped my mind.... christmas? no?  :blotto:  :-X

I've been out of the CF for a while, but I knew "poppy on head-dress" was the traditional SOP.

A few years back I remember hearing "poppy on breast pocket".

What's this year's SOP?

For civilian clothes? Left collar or over left breast pocket I suppose.

REMEMBRANCE DAY POPPIES

Remembrance Day Poppies are authorized for wear for a period of two weeks immediately preceding 11 Nov each year (commencing 28 Oct 05). Poppies are to be worn as follows:

a. service dress (DEU 3): centered on the left lower lapel of jackets and topcoats;

b. naval operational winter parka: centred on the left breast flap covering the zipper;

c. army operational winter parka (old pattern), IECS, CADPAT and combat rain jacket: worn on the front rank slip-on, at the top portion, just above the rank;

d. air force operational intermediate jacket: centred on the left breast flap covering the zipper;

e. air force operational heavy parka: located on the left breast flap covering the pocket; and

f. on the left pocket flap other uniforms or in the approximate area of the top left pocket on of all uniforms that do not have a pocket flap.

Hope this helps. Lest We Forget.  :salute:

hmmm... since we'll be wearing our gabardines for Nov 11th...
remember your "year of the veteran" pin... goes on right breast... where your name tag is on DEU.

geo said:
hmmm... since we'll be wearing our gabardines for Nov 11th...
remember your "year of the veteran" pin... goes on right breast... where your name tag is on DEU.

Sounds kind of wimpy.  Is that a Puzzle Palace requirement?

well... uhhh... yeah
I figured that between the Rank pins and the poppy, we'd have plenty of hardware
but no one asked me for my opinion (readily available BTW)

Thank you, all.

If it still fits, thinking about DEU for a Remembrance Day ceremony.

Good question.  I know as a civilian you are not entitled to wear the uniform anymore but as a member of the Supp Res, I really don't know.  Let me see if I can find anything in CFAO or elsewhere.

From what I can find in DAOD 5002-4, you be on active service to wear your uniform.

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/daod/5002/4_e.asp

I have seen members of the Supplementary Reserve wear their CF uniforms for formal military occasions such as Remembrance Day Ceremonies:

QR&O 15.09 applies:

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/qr_o/vol1/Ch015_e.asp

Edited to add:

IAW DAOD 5002-4 ADMIN: (found at the bottom of the link provided by Kinkanuks)

"Wearing of Uniform Supp Res:

Supp Res members are authorized to wear a uniform when on service or attending military entertainment or a ceremony at which wearing of uniform is appropriate."

Well okay but like everything else it is a very loose interpertation and the person wearing the uniform had better be well turned out and look like they belong in it because if they are confronted about it I really don't see anything here for their defence.  Such as a proclamation from the CDS that all former members can wear their uniforms on Remembrance Day.

hey.... no one butst the WW2 vets chops about their dragging out and wearing their old service dress @ rememberance ceremonies.

If you're going to wear your DEUs make sure you look like they belong to you and that you maintain the bearing, dress & deportment of someone who still serves.

People on SRR used to be issued a Mil ID card & a set of DEUs, were expected to report in at least once a year (draw day's pay) - not sure how they control the rabble these days....
Anyone out there @ the main Puzzle Palace with insight?

hey.... no one butst the WW2 vets chops about their dragging out and wearing their old service dress @ rememberance ceremonies.

I would have to see some pictures of that because the only time I have seen it allowed is for a historical reenactment or at a museum display.  Vets in my area wear their Legion blazer, berets and medals but I have never seen any wearing their old uniforms.

geo said:
Suspect this is actually members of the Supplemantary Reserve you are seeing Geo as the Vets wear their legion gear as per Kincanuks post.
geo said:
If you're going to wear your DEUs make sure you look like they belong to you and that you maintain the bearing, dress & deportment of someone who still serves.
Absolutely agreed.

Back