• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Wearing and Location of The Poppy- Uniform/Civilian

As a sup res., I don't have my DEUs anymore, but would it be appropriate to wear my old beret with a nice suit?

On another note, on many occasions, I've seen vets show up for ceremonies in their old battle dress, rather than Legion or Regimental association blazers.  I think I've even seen retired CF members wear DEUs as well...

RR... am certain that I will see a whole lot of people wearing their berets on Friday.
While serving members aren't supposed to wear their UN blue berets - there'll be a bunch of those out too............
It's not supposed to be a fashion statement but individuals remembring in their own particular way...

kincanucks said:
hey.... no one butst the WW2 vets chops about their dragging out and wearing their old service dress @ rememberance ceremonies.

I would have to see some pictures of that because the only time I have seen it allowed is for a historical reenactment or at a museum display.   Vets in my area wear their Legion blazer, berets and medals but I have never seen any wearing their old uniforms.

We had 2 members of the Limber Gunners Association show-up to our Gun Salute in their old Battle Dress.  It happens.

If you watched the news, there were several Veterans wearing Battle Dress on the Veteran's Train.

Yep.... some of the old boys have looked after "the battle of the bulge"

Ok Army gabardine, where does the poppy go at? Left lapel or left chest/over the heart area?

On the regular Combat shirt it goes on the applet at the top. As for the DEU's good question I don't know!

Derek said:
On the regular Combat shirt it goes on the applet at the top. As for the DEU's good question I don't know!

The what now ?

Left lapel.

Edited to add:

If you look in the 'R' section for the topic "Remembrance Day Poppies" at this link, you will find a Powerpoint presentation with the location of the poppy for a variety of uniforms.

have u seen the new poppy insets? They have a plastic center and a pin that replaces the needle on the original and the black center and ensures you dont lose your poppy when moving. Our CQ had a few in this week quite an ingenious little thing. $2 bucks a pop they said. 

You can make those yourself by buying a bag of 10 pins from Michael's with a dab of glue. Won't any different then those with needles.

What is the regulation for wearing a poppy while in combats?  I know that it states above that it has to go on the left lapel, but today I was at CFRC Toronto (asking questions about the reg. force) and I noticed that most of the recruiters had the poppy around their left breast (including a couple that happened to be in combats).

Also, is having the little Canadian flag pin in the centre of the poppy appropriate when wearing the poppy while in uniform?  I have emailed the Cpl. in charge of us new guys at the unit, but it is a "forces.ca" address so I am not sure when he will get back to me.

If anyone can point me to any regulations on this subject, that would be great (as long as they can be accessed via a regular computer).

soccer08 said:
What is the regulation for wearing a poppy while in combats?  I know that it states above that it has to go on the left lapel, but today I was at CFRC Toronto (asking questions about the reg. force) and I noticed that most of the recruiters had the poppy around their left breast (including a couple that happened to be in combats).

Also, is having the little Canadian flag pin in the centre of the poppy appropriate when wearing the poppy while in uniform?  I have emailed the Cpl. in charge of us new guys at the unit, but it is a "forces.ca" address so I am not sure when he will get back to me.

If anyone can point me to any regulations on this subject, that would be great (as long as they can be accessed via a regular computer).

On CADPAT, it is to be attached to the top of the rank slip-on (right in the centre of the chest), and you can't wear the Cdn flag in the centre anymore.  I think the actual ref is in one of the posts above this one.

thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, the link in the one post does not work.  What are your thoughts on wearing the Canadian flag in the centre of the poppy while in civilian attire?  Does it take away form the symbolism of the poppy?

Edit: added the last 2 sentences.

soccer08 said:

Yeah, while in BMQ we had a fellow that tried the Canadian Flag in the centre of the Poppy. The staff said they appreciated the thought behind it, but he had until the next time they saw him to have it changed back to the original style. My though in non BMQ land, if you don't want your RSM mad, don't do it. Good thought, but not fully appreciated by all.

The reference I was forwarded at work makes specific mention of the Canadian flag pin in the centre of the poppy.  It is not authorized for wear while in uniform.

Personally I do not believe it detracts from the poppy if one was to wear it while in civilian attire. 

I figured it probably would not be allowed while in uniform, I just wanted to make sure.  This will be my first year wearing it with the Canadian flag in the centre.  I always seem to go through 2 or 3 per year, so hopefully it stays on this way.

soccer08 said:
I always seem to go through 2 or 3 per year, so hopefully it stays on this way.

I always use a set of pliers or Gerber to bend the pin over, this usually saves me running out looking for replacements. However, there are many, many other little tricks that folks have for them.

A small bit of eraser (or whatever you want) on the end of the pin also works.

Chapeski said:
Yeah, while in BMQ we had a fellow that tried the Canadian Flag in the centre of the Poppy. The staff said they appreciated the thought behind it, but he had until the next time they saw him to have it changed back to the original style. My though in non BMQ land, if you don't want your RSM mad, don't do it. Good thought, but not fully appreciated by all.

It's got nothing to do with appreciation and everything to do with uniformity. In uniform you do like the rest of the military. Want a flag one for your civies? Fill your boots.

Back