• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The 'What If Canada Gets Attacked' Superthread

SherH2A said:
Thanks for the reply Delany.

First I consider the Maritimes as being 4 provinces, Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island.

You are mistaking Atlantic Canada with the Maritimes. Your four provinces collectively make up Atlantic Canada.  The Maritimes include only those three provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.  At one point, all three provinces were one colony, that of Nova Scotia (1763 until 1769), when Saint John's Island became a separate colony.  New Brunswick became a separate colony in 1784.  Saint John's Island (aka the Island of Saint John's) was renamed Prince Edward Island in 1798.

Newfoundland, of course, was a separate colony, and remained such until 1949.  Though from afar they may seem like a single entity, this isn't the case.

I ws not under the impression that any provinces other than Quebec wanted to separate...  and that hasn't been since the referendum in the 1990s...  Am I misled?

Rev

NavyHopeful said:
I ws not under the impression that any provinces other than Quebec wanted to separate...  and that hasn't been since the referendum in the 1990s...  Am I misled?

Rev

Have you heard of the movement to create Cascadia?  B.C., Washington and Oregon?

Go to Alberta and notice the number of cars with "Republic of Alberta" on their bumpers.  Some of those people are deadly serious.

George Wallace said:
Go to Alberta and notice the number of cars with "Republic of Alberta" on their bumpers.  Some of those people are deadly serious.

I've actually seen quite a few of these when I visited Calgary last year.  Didn't quite know what it was until later on when I looked it up.  Kind of scary the things some people are attempting to accomplish but I don't think anything will be accomplished without some massive event or a very influential person to come in to change everyones mind.  Canada doesn't seem like the revolutionary/separatist (except Quebec but I have heard the amount of separatist supporters has gone down considerable) type of country to me and I'm not sure the GOC or the U.S. would stand for it if it happened.

Mess with the West GAS/ Oil  like Trudeau did and I think it could very easily happen.  There are many Westerners who to this day feel that was(is) a great injustice.

Also I seem to recall something about the Maritime Provence's or the entire Atlantic Canada looking at merging into a Mega province.  I don't believe it ever got past the "hmm what happens if we did this" stage

helpup said:
Also I seem to recall something about the Maritime Provence's or the entire Atlantic Canada looking at merging into a Mega province. 

Or, secession of a Mega-city ( created in 1998 ), with, or without, the four surrounding regional GTA municipalities, to create a Mega-province:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposal_for_the_Province_of_Toronto#By_the_numbers

SUN 2010:
"Lorrie Goldstein sounds off from an urban point of view and Michael Den Tandt tackles the issue from a rural perspective":
http://www.torontosun.com/comment/2010/03/16/13252231.html

helpup said:
... Atlantic Canada looking at merging into a Mega province.

With talks at one point of merging NB Power with whatever the other maritime provinces have in addition to hydro, if ever the infrastracture is merged with money going into the same collective pocket, the province of 'Acadia' or simply 'Prince Nova Brunswick' could be created.

In all seriousness, the only way I could see the maritimes uniting under one flag is if all hell broke loose and we were turned into a State.

Jesus Christ, this thread went fromthe 'Mericans invading to provinces combining...

Next someone will talk about Cape Breton separating and blowing up the Causeway. :piper:

Scott said:
Jesus Christ, this thread went fromthe 'Mericans invading to provinces combining...

Next someone will talk about Cape Breton separating and blowing up the Causeway. :piper:

Separating from what? Just ask any Cape Bretoner and they'll tell you that's their own island and not part of Nova Scotia already. ;)

Merging the Maritime provinces (and adding Newfoundland and Labrador if desired) would make a certain amount of sense form a efficiency standpoint, collapsing four sets of bureaucracies, legislatures, crown corporations ext into one. Of course, if the example of the GTA is any indication, the largest, most expensive and inefficient bureaucracies and public service unions would survive....

Despite the meanderings of "post national" theorists, I don't see that micro nations or distributed republics have any great advantages over conventional States, the modern nation state has been around since 1648 indicating it has a very solid foundation and has been able to displace all potential alternative models for centuries. Small nations formed out of the wreakage of larger failed states may or may not succeed, but I believe that is more a matter of the sort of culture the people living in that state practice and share.

If the Canadian west were to hypothetically separate, they would probably do well; they have an entrepreneurial culture and are busy taking the idea of small "c" conservatism to heart (look at the Saskatchewan Party's turnaround of that province, and the emergence of the Wild Rose Alliance in Alberta). Quebec, blessed with a treasure trove of natural resources, would likely fail if they separated, since they have a very Statist culture. Sadly, the Maritimes has also fallen for the Statist meme, and may end up living off oil and gas in much the same way the Gulf States do (although we might not see extravagant construction booms such as in Dubai).

Regardless of their internal cultures, I suspect that if Confederation were to split along these lines, the United States would simply not choose to deal with the remnants of former Quebec or the Maritimes except as providers of raw materials (to avoid having to assume the debts and obligations of these polities), while being much more receptive of an economically dynamic West as either a client or allied nation.

Now you could have roving bands of fur trappers trying to sneak past the customs posts and border fences between Quebec and the United States, or maybe the Irvings deciding to take the term "oil  baron" literally in a fractured post confederation Canada, but that is about as realistic as the Space Patrol delivering ice from Saturn to Earth or the United States invading Canada....

That's it! We hear in Wainwright are tired of this and are going head out on our own! I highly doubt any of yous will try to stop us!!!!! ;D

Teflon said:
That's it! We hear in Wainwright are tired of this and are going head out on our own! I highly doubt any of yous will try to stop us!!!!! ;D

I'm gonna join you...... >:D

Teflon said:
Republic of Wainwright or Wainwrightistan? What sounds more powerful?

Republic of Wainwright!! Does this include the town or just the base?

the 48th regulator said:
You think?

Man, I logged into militaryphotos.net, so they are not down.  Just wondering why all the "Invasion" threads are sprouting here...

dileas

tess

Video games.

NavyHopeful said:

Rev

Time to derail this puppy again.

recceguy said:
Time to derail this puppy again.

:rofl:

Hey wait a minute...  they third guy from the left looks like my old neighbour...  Where was this picture taken again???

Rev

Jim Seggie said:
Republic of Wainwright!! Does this include the town or just the base?

Well we will see if the town wants to come along but either way we are annexing the Walmart!

Back