• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Things to do in Australia ?

misratah500

Inactive
Reaction score
Going to be visiting Australia with some time in Sydney. Was wondering what were peoples recommendations on the city of Sydney who have been there on port visits before or vacation?

You didn't specify when you'll be there.

There is always the platitude: do the Harbour front walk and the Opera house, if you are into those type of things.

As for me, I am a sport fan. And if you are too, and you get there before the end of the season - usually end of August or beginning of September - then you must go see the Sidney Swans play a game of Australian Rule Football. I warn you though, bring binoculars.

Tons of stuff to do there, mostly centred around the Darling Harbour/Garden Island (RAN Fleet Base East) areas.

Opera House and Darling Harbour are right next to Garden Island, and lots of people (me included) take pics at Mrs. MacQuarie's Chair, the spot where all the postcards of Sydney Harbour Bridge and Opera House are shot from.  Best time is sunrise.

Kings Cross is the club district, but it's a little (read:  Very) seedy so I'd suggest going to The Rocks instead.  Granted I was in Syd a few months back with my parents so we didn't really go drinking, so this is just hearsay.

Other options are Bondi Beach (very touristy), Manly or Taronga Zoo, all a quick ferry ride from Circular Quay. 

If you have a few hours to kill and it's a nice day, at Circular Quay there's a ferry that does the tourist loop (it's about 1h 30 or so?) and there are longer ones out to Manly, etc.  and are really worth checking out.  Can't remember the company name but it's located at the same set of piers as the usual ferries.

I agree with OGBD and try to get in a game of AFL.  The Swans have (had?) a player from Victoria BC who also posts random Canadian musings on his team blog.  Some of them are pretty interesting to read.

The zoo! Seriously, it's pretty wicked.

Surfers paradise I think was in Sydney, great waves.

Cbbmtt said:
Surfers paradise I think was in Sydney, great waves.

Surfers Paradise is in the Gold Coast, about 40km southeast of Brisbane....or 900-ish kms north of Sydney. 

If you want to surf (and I'm not sure Oct is the right time for it down there), Bondi, Manly or Cronulla Beaches are where you want to go. 

The Lonely Planet site may be useful.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/pacific

Depends on how much time you have,    there are  excellent , and inexpensive transport links via rail and bus connectors. So a day trip to the gold coast is doable, .    I never did the bridge walk along the top of the harbour bridge and regret it now.  Kings cross is a spectacle of touristy seedyness.  Zoo is must do, and they have outstanding marine parks in the area as well. 

Three days after the original post and no one has thrown out the "throw another shrimp on the barbie" as a thing to do?  Man... people gettin' old on here.

Canadian.Trucker said:
Three days after the original post and no one has thrown out the "throw another shrimp on the barbie" as a thing to do?  Man... people gettin' old on here.

LOL!! "The Dingo Ate my Baby!"

Canadian.Trucker said:

Like the idea of Aussies drinking Fosters (swill fit for....well, nothing), it's a lie  :nod:

Besides it's prawns, not shrimp  ;)

d_edwards said:
Depends on how much time you have,    there are  excellent , and inexpensive transport links via rail and bus connectors. So a day trip to the gold coast is doable, .   

I'd like to know how you did Sydney-GC return in a day, unless it was a flight via Jetstar to Coollongatta.  Besides, if you want beaches, the ones around Syd are good enough given the time you have.

misratah500 said:
Was wondering what were peoples recommendations on the city of Sydney who have been there on port visits before or vacation?

misratah500 said:
i will be there around early october for a week.

RAN Centennial Fleet Review,Sydney, Australia, October 2013 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/111234.0

"...Royal Australian Navy commemorates the arrival of its first fleet 100 years ago with a spectacular International Fleet Review in Sydney from 3 -11 October 2013."

My bad,  had travelled extensively from cairns to Sydney and crossed my details some.,  GC is doable in a day from Brisbane, but as I was called out on, definately not from sydney.   

I was in Sydney last year in September and had a few free days in the city.  I'll give you a short breakdown of some of the things we did and my impressions.  Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions.  I grouped stuff in the downtown core by location:

"Left" (Darling Harbor)
Maritime Museum - Good museum.  Separate $$$ for the static displays inside and the ships outside
Aquarium - Buddy did it and thought it was good. 
Harbourside Shopping Centre - Fairly large mall.  Has a Hard Rock Cafe.

"Center"
Inner Harbor - Nice walk, lots to see and the obvious tourist shots of the Opera House.  Start at the Opera House and walk until your under the bridge or vice-versa.
Opera House - You can walk around the outside and go into the lobby for free.  They also offer a tour for $$$
George Street - Lots of shops - some high end and some fairly cheap.  There's a market that sets up a few days a week on George, just past Hickson Road - good tourist stuff.
Bridge Walk - Saw people doing it but didn't have the time.  Pretty $$$, but very popular attraction.

"Right"
Hyde Park - Nice resting area.  Popular hang out spot.
Anzac War Memorial - Within Hyde Park.  Very well done.
Australia Museum - Kind of boring.  Pretty standard museum stuff once you've seen the Australia portion.
Hyde Park Barracks - World Heritage Site.  Basically a look back at "Australia the Penal Colony."
Royal Botanical Gardens - Nice walk.  If you have time, you can get tickets for a tour of Government House, but walking the grounds is free.

Some other stuff:
Food is hella expensive.  I'm talking 8 bucks for a Big Mac expensive.  You want the combo?  Twelve bucks.  Want a Starbucks Sydney mug?  Twenty-one bucks.
Wifi is terrible.  McDonalds and Starbucks have free wifi, so you at least have that.  Enjoy that Big Mac.
You MUST go to the Lord Nelson Brasserie.  Seriously good food and good beer.  Buy their t-shirt.
Australia is the only country where you can eat both national animals at a restaurant.  Didn't try emu, but kangaroo is actually pretty good when cooked properly.
If you can find it, buy a bar of Darrell Lea "Rocklea Road."

We also did a day trip out to the Blue Mountains with Blue Diamond Tours.  I really enjoyed it, and it ended up being a full day of Australia.  Take this  tour if you want to pet a Koala.

And of course, if you have enough time to get up to Canberra, the Australia War Museum is a must-see.

I lived there for a while a few years back.  Not in Sydney, but I spent a fair bit of time there.

Dirt Digger covered it off pretty well, but a couple of other ideas:

Fort Denison - The small island in harbour with the Martello Tower.  The ferry runs there from Circular Quay.

If you can get over to Middle Head, there's a fairly extensive network of gun emplacements built into the cliff top from when the harbour was fortified with some good views of the outer harbour.  It's a long walk from the ferry stop, so you'd probably want to catch a cab.

+1 for the Bridgewalk.  I've heard you need to book way ahead these days, but if you can get a spot, I'd go for it.

As mentioned, Taronga Zoo is a good go, and I'd definitely head to Manly.

If you decide to go for shrimp prawns, don't be surprised when you get a plate full of them looking up at you.  They don't come ready to eat.

As for Foster's?  There's a reason they export so much of it.

Enjoy your time there.

Bring Crown Royal.  Us Canadian expats miss it (well, me less since I just got back to Oz from North America) since we can't get it here and CC, in my opinion, is a poor substitute  :nod:

Thanks for the replies, but I won't be going to Australia anymore. If you read the news, you can figure out why.

Sorry to hear. But trust that there will be more opportunities to get down under that will come your way.

We are just all glad here that no one was hurt.

Back