• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

thoughts of a National Plate

HADES 1962

Inactive
Reaction score
I realize that is kind of touched of on the veterans plates thread.
What comes to my mind is maybe persons who are serving in the Forces might like the idea of a National vehicle plate (Canada wide). An auto insurance company that would be able to give you coverage nation wide, and while at it throw in a national drivers license.
Basically like when we had troops in Europe, a Plate that said Canada.
This way when service members are posted to any base they keep the same plates, less cost for the taxpayers on reimbursing us every few years. IF the new posting requires a safety check then so be it.
I for one find it a tad frustrating on the red tape from province to province.
Any thoughts?

I would'nt want one.

Judging by the actions of certain ethnic groups, and the apparent disdain our university students hold us up to, an identifying plate would only make our vehicles targets for vandalism and theft.

Also, it would not save the CF any $$ at all, because you are given a lump sum on posting, for car, cable hookup, mail redirection etc. whether it covers the expenses or not, that is all you get.

While I am proud to be a soldier, prudency dictates a low profile.

Some junior members have gotten nailed for DUI.... don't think I'd enjoy the additional attention that a national plate would invite from he local constabulary.

Also, each province has it's own rules and regulations with respect to driving. Have serious doubts that any province would willingly give up some of it's independance to the Fed.

GO!!! said:
Judging by the actions of certain ethnic groups, and the apparent disdain our university students hold us up to, an identifying plate would only make our vehicles targets for vandalism and theft.

Indeed.

That is a concern of mine as well.

In fact, my pers vehicle isn't even registered to my home. It's legal and I do wind up with a certain amount of teasing because of it but I'm not taking any chances.

Slim 

GO!!! said:
I would'nt want one.

Also, it would not save the CF any $$ at all, because you are given a lump sum on posting, for car, cable hookup, mail redirection etc. whether it covers the expenses or not, that is all you get.

While I am proud to be a soldier, prudency dictates a low profile.

Yup.

No thanks for a license plate... you know what I want instead? Less fancy gimmicks and things like this to caress our pride and egos, and more high quality/reliable kit for the troops. Or just more troops in general, would also be nice. Or how about even some bullets/blank rounds? Being forced to yell bang bang on exercises doesnt really do great things for morale in regard to the current state of the forces' budget.

If I saw the CF spend more money on something like when we have all kinds of other areas that need immediate extra funding, and get shafted over a license plate, I think I can speak for a lot of people when I say I would be less than enthusiastic.

Sounds like a good idea, but it would also pose a security risk to military members and their families. Anyone who would want to single out the military and cause harm to the military or its members would have an easier time locating potential targets.

I think that the Veteran Licence Plate that currently exist should be more difficult to get. In NS all that is required is two years service in either the RegF, PRes or CIC in order to qualify for a plate.

Hubby and I aren't big fans of that idea, but it could save money. For us, it cost $500 just to register our vehicles in NS, not incl the cost for the new drivers licences and MVI. It would be easier but the attention would suck.

Maybe each province could have some sort of Military clause where if we are posted to another province, or country, we can keep our plates and licences. Moving from BC to the US, we had to register our vehicles down there and get WA DL, then posted out here and had to register them out here and get new licenses again...just alot of hassles involved.

Navalsnipr said:
I think that the Veteran Licence Plate that currently exist should be more difficult to get. In NS all that is required is two years service in either the RegF, PRes or CIC in order to qualify for a plate.

What!? That means I could get one... that isnt right at all.

I thought you needed an operational tour to get one?... At least I think thats what it should take... this way, a reserve cook who got out after two years because he didnt like gagetown, can get a veterans plate, the same as a medak veteran (no offense to the cooks  ;D)...

Hopefully most people will at least use the honor system.... dont get one if you know you don't deserve one.
Should require an operational tour.

Mack674 said:
What!? That means I could get one... that isnt right at all.

I thought you needed an operational tour to get one?... At least I think thats what it should take... this way, a reserve cook who got out after two years because he didnt like gagetown, can get a veterans plate, the same as a medak veteran (no offense to the cooks   ;D)...

Hopefully most people will at least use the honor system.... dont get one if you know you don't deserve one.
Should require an operational tour.

That horse has been beaten here:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/18176.0.html

I said it earlier, but to further my point, I live 3 blocks from a mosque. My Canadian flag has been colored over with marker on one of my trucks, my "support the troops" yelllow ribbon was ripped off and cut into pieces and thrown on the ground, my windows have been punched out, and there is spit on my flag on a regular basis. When I come home in uniform, all of the "new canadians" stare at me like I have 2 heads.

Singling ourselves out for more abuse from the parasites who claim to be canadian is not a good idea. We need to balance pride and a desire for identification and convenience, with prudence and realism.

Go, your story discusts me! I know it happens all the time, but it is so sad to see "new Canadians" commit these horrible acts against CF personelle. The ones defending their right to use our welfare system....

I know it happens all the time, but it is so sad to see "new Canadians" commit these horrible acts against CF personelle. The ones defending their right to use our welfare system....

I would submit that it happens occasionally and it is entirely possible that it is not "new canadians" who are the ones doing it.  I know several immigrants and they are very supportive of Canada's military.  As far as abusing the welfare system, I would further submit that there are a healthy number of "old canadians" happily sucking at the teat of the welfare state.

Gunner said:
I would submit that it happens occasionally and it is entirely possible that it is not "new canadians" who are the ones doing it.   I know several immigrants and they are very supportive of Canada's military.   As far as abusing the welfare system, I would further submit that there are a healthy number of "old canadians" happily sucking at the teat of the welfare state.

Oh I know exactly who it is - I've caught them in the act, pakuls, crescent tattoos on the web of the hand, the whole 9 yards. Short of getting a Men in Black style car protection system for them, that turns them into ashes as soon as they touch the car, my only solution is to start double tapping, but that will only land me in the Gray Bar Hotel, and leave my wife here alone.

Local LE has bigger fish to fry, unless I have video to prove it, so I park under a streetlight, and hold my breath when I look at my truck every morning, and when I look at my home every night. I can't wait to move away from these animals.

I know several immagrants who are very supportive of the CF too, some have even joined the military of their adoptive country. But they are'nt the ones sitting in Hajars Halal and Deli (real store in my neighborhood) at 1200 every day in man dresses and sandals glaring at me when I stop for gas. I doubt these guys are on welfare too, mostly because they would have to be in the country legally first.

See why I don't want an identifying plate?

Go!!!  Out to the suburbs with you!  8) 

My comments were mainly addressed to your groupee who seems inclined to throw a white sheet over his head and burn a couple of crosses.  Crime happens everywhere my friend.  If its not your men in "dresses and sandals" its the kid who comes from a familiy with too much money and enjoys vandalizing everyone else's or stealing to support his drug habit.  Double tapping may be a solution for many of societies problems...

Gunner said:
Go!!!   Out to the suburbs with you!    8)  

My comments were mainly addressed to your groupee who seems inclined to throw a white sheet over his head and burn a couple of crosses.   Crime happens everywhere my friend.   If its not your men in "dresses and sandals" its the kid who comes from a familiy with too much money and enjoys vandalizing everyone else's or stealing to support his drug habit.   Double tapping may be a solution for many of societies problems...

I agree with you, racism is not the answer. I firmly subscribe to the philosophy of hating people for their actions, not the color of their skin. I will be moving soon too, I guess I'm just not cut out to be a piece of our much touted "multicultural mosaic" I'm moving to a nice treed acreage where I can live in peace, and for only a little more than my central bungalow.

Crime does happen everywhere, but the punks stealing my CDs and the change out of my ashtray in the PMQs was a little more palatable to me than the arabs vandalising my vehicle and desecrating the flag.

I personally think that we should be more like Starship troopers, where you must serve your country to earn the right to vote, and take part in the benefits of citizenship.

But was'nt this thread about license plates?

All the discussions on who is and who is not a veteran and who deserves the right I think is not a positive image comming from members of the forces. For me, if you served you are a veteran, period. Now for benefits, then you can have critiria on what you are entitled. Should somone who just did a BMQ be entitled to everything no, but they served, short time yeas but they served.

As far as putting a veterans plate, if you meet the critiria in your province, then put it on, its up to you. If I decide to put one on, I will and no one person or group will stop me or make me remove it., period.

I personally think that we should be more like Starship troopers, where you must serve your country to earn the right to vote, and take part in the benefits of citizenship.

I loved that book, and it had some excellent ideas. Albeit, none of them will ever materialize, but we can dream  ;D

Chop;

You really think that someone who spent 1.5 years in the reserve, and showed up the minimum amount of time so they werent declared NES and booted out, deserve a veterans plate the same as a 15+ year soldier who has multiple tours?

To me, the term veteran means war veteran, or an experienced soldier. A tour overseas would qualify that to me... they did their job.Everything over here in Canada is just practice for the show.(Unless of course something happened here...)

So ill rephrase that, I think soldiers should only qualify as veterans if they have been committed to at least one operation, anywhere on the globe. Is that so unreasonable?

It just erks me the wrong way that a 19 year old who spent a year or so in the reserves and worked half assed would get the same label and recognition as someone who was actually there.

Mack674 said:
You really think that someone who spent 1.5 years in the reserve, and showed up the minimum amount of time so they werent declared NES and booted out, deserve a veterans plate the same as a 15+ year soldier who has multiple tours?

It just erks me the wrong way that a 19 year old who spent a year or so in the reserves and worked half assed would get the same label and recognition as someone who was actually there.

It urks me as well, but where do you draw the line, he did his time and he received an honourable discharge so be it. I do have friends from the 70's that only did a basic and trade course then left the forces and I am still good friends with them, we did our basic together, I would consider them a veteran. I also know some infantry guy's who did 20 years in the regular force, worked hard and trained hard but never got the opportunity to go overseas, are they not a veteran. And I am quite erked at Canadians in general who think that the only veterans are the ones who where in WWI, WWII and the Korean war. I have good friends that where in Cyprus or Bosnia just to name a few places and they where in battle, they fired their weapon and they where shot at, to me they are just as much a veteran as any veteran Canada has had and should be recognized for what the did.

But if you go on the web pages of some of the provinces, some demand a minimum of 2 or 3 years service or overseas duty. I did not make the rules, but they are there.

Back