• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tim Hortons in Theatre Merged Thread (in AFG, no plans to preposition)

I'm sad that the front line combat troops won't be able to have this with the rest, but I'm glad it's going there. I hope it's really well protected because it would make a great target for an attack of some kind by the insurgents... think of the loss of morale that might happen if they blew up Tim Hortons.

In Lethbridge, Alberta, we have at least three locations. What's the other franchise that is popular "out west"? It might be a BC thing. I don't know which one you might be talking about.

Infanteer said:
I see the tail only gets larger....
+1
While I agree with efforts to reduce the hardship of serving in A'stan, I'm not sure how this is a Force Multiplier... Its not like there isn't already coffee and donuts there.

I know that in Vancouver there is a Starbucks on every other corner.  Blech!  Burnt coffee!  However, happily over the last couple of years there have been Timmies sprouting up all over the place here.  One just opened up down the road from the base here.  Yay!

The article above said they came on a Illyushin-76, but this picture (and caption) show they came on a USAF C-17.

http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/netpub/server.np?find&catalog=photos&template=detail_e.np&field=itemid&op=matches&value=12561&site=combatcamera

well golly, Scotty. You are correct.

Just another reason for us to get a few of those wonderful C-17s.

Enfield said:
+1
While I agree with efforts to reduce the hardship of serving in A'stan, I'm not sure how this is a Force Multiplier... Its not like there isn't already coffee and donuts there.

Putting this in perspective, it's not like the manning is coming from the TF, so it's not a force divider, either.  Coffee already, sure...KBR swill or Green Beans at $2.50-3.00...  Just look around, huge PX, BurgerKing, Subway...Timmies is just another sign that things may be settling in for the long haul.  I'm waiting to see how long it takes to get a Chapters/Indigo...  ;D

The count down is on...I wonder what they did with the test pots of coffee  ::)
Think there was any sampling going on  :p

HL

I'd like to apologize to our guys for saying that the Tim's oulets were on their way about three weeks ago.  I didn't notice them coming back off the c-17 becuase they wouldn't fit.  I think they went by boat.  I did however see the reefers with the supplies go on an Antanow sometime last week.  I also hope that Timmies and PSP arene't ripping off the troops like their southern counterparts.  Come home safe, troops.    :cdn:

per an article last week.......... Timmy trailers went via C17. There was an apparent problem with the loading equipment we proposed to use out of Trenton.  The trailers were trucked down to NJ or some other US airbase where they were loaded onto C17s for the trip to KAF.

Question.... Considering we're buying the darned C17s.... is there some special loading equipment that we MUST have......before we go and break the kit we don't yave yet????

Paint me - Concerned!

cuteboots said:
In Lethbridge, Alberta, we have at least three locations. What's the other franchise that is popular "out west"? It might be a BC thing. I don't know which one you might be talking about.

For clarification, there are 6 Timmy's in Lethbridge, where there were 3 a year ago.

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan -- Canadian troops in Afghanistan are happily enjoying a little taste of home.

Tim Hortons finally opened the doors of its kiosk on the desolate coalition base here Thursday, and when word spread, soldiers were soon marching double-time for double-doubles.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060607/afghanistan_template_060610/20060629?hub=World

Well....Green Bean may be in for some competition.

Mind you the Chai Latte is pretty good....but can't beat the Double Double.

Regards

2Bravo had his first "double double" on the boardwalk yesterday and he said it was very good.  Very, very good.

On the news I noticed that one customer handed over two dollars American.....I hope that wasn't the cost of a Double Double.  (Keeping in mind our tendency to round things off to the nearest buck when in the field/on Deployment.)

2Bravo  I'm glad you enjoyed your first d d for awhile. I hope the rest of the guys and gals have a chance to get a few before they are on their way home

military granny,

Based on the crowd forming I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one!  We even hadTimbits.  I guess the PRT and Kabul guys are left out, though.

George

A large is 1.50 USD, which ain't bad! 

Hey that's cheaper than at Pearson Airport!

2B, let the troops know that it is beyond well deserved!

Yes 2Bravo the PRT boys are out in the cold. The son wasn't too impressed but will fill up on Iced Caps  before he catches his plane out

I can see a scenario like this playing out now;

"Sergeant Major! Where the h*** is my Squadron?"  "Sir!, they're all at HSS, it seems they were drinking 10 double doubles a day and they completely dehydrated themselves"  ;D

Glad to see a piece of Canadiana has reached Kandahar for our troops.

Regards

Back