• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tim Hortons in Theatre Merged Thread (in AFG, no plans to preposition)

Well wonderful Granny...I think that would be a nice surprise for these soldiers that everyone has mentioned really don't receive much/anything from home

HL

HL
I know a bunch of boys going over very soon and granny Santa now has one more item to put in their stockings

I looked on Tim Horton's web site today. They have outlets in Ohio and Kentucky, but none in Oregon or Washington! What's wrong with this picture? Here on the left coast, we think good coffee is like oxygen; a God-given right. Heck, you can even find gourmet coffee in 7-11. That's it! I'm packin' up and headin' south.... (or is it north?) ???

GAP said:
I replyed to the email regarding prices, but I think I already know the answer....the gift certificate is for $xx.xx. Whatever the price of the coffee is where you are buying it, just comes out of the certificate. That kinda takes care of the problem of a disparity of prices.

I didn't think to ask about the "any soldier...any where". The email address is there, might I suggest you query them? :)

here is the answer from Tim Hortons I got today

I would like to thank you for contacting us at our Head Office in Oakville,
Ontario.  We appreciate your interest in our Company.

At Tim Hortons we strive to achieve customer satisfaction through friendly
and efficient service, high quality products and cleanliness in our stores.
Please note that the gift certificates are the same Gift Certificates as
you would use in our stores.  They are not exactly the same, but can be
used in Kandahar.

Thank you again for contacting us. If you have any future questions or
comments, please do not hesitate to contact us toll-free at 1 888 601 1616.

We look forward to serving you again in the near future!

Sincerely,

Deanna
Operation Services
The TDL Group Corp.

email address:  deanna@timhortons.com

Yeah, you're right, I didn't see that....don't know.

send her an email as will I, asking her to explain difference.

I sent this back to Tim Hortons

you have now totally confused me.

"Please note that the gift certificates are the same Gift Certificates as
you would use in our stores.  They are not exactly the same, but can be used
in Kandahar."

what does this mean? I posted it on the Army.ca website for their
information and immediately got flooded
(well, not really flooded, but floods start with trickles don't they?)with questions.thanks

Gap
I also just sent her a very nice letter asking what the difference in the GC was and if they had to be asked for specifically.

I just talked on the phone to Deanna at Tim Hortons. The points covered are:

1. Requests regarding a special marketing program re: Tim Hortons in Kandahar has been forwarded from the Customer Service Department to their Marketing Department...no word yet what they are going to do.

2. At present there is no plan for special Gift Certificates for Kandahar.

Because no coins are allowed over there for use, just MPC, the gift certificates you buy here will be eligible to be used there. Their prices in Kandahar reflect the higher cost of operation and the fact that all transactions are done using US Military Payment Certificates as the general currency.

Because of this, giving pennies out in change is not feasible, nor is converting to Canadian money. In the conversation I got the impression the increased prices already include the exchange, so it will not be an issue.

Poor Deanna! We're flooding the woman with requests! Here's the reply I received:

I would like to thank you for contacting us at our Head Office in Oakville,
Ontario.  We appreciate your interest in our Company.

At Tim Hortons we strive to achieve customer satisfaction through friendly
and efficient service, high quality products and cleanliness in our stores.
Please note that soldier will be able to use Tim Hortons Gift Certificates
in Kandanhar.   I have forwarded a copy of your suggestion on to our
Marketing Department for their review and consideration.

C/10 said:
Good it will make Wainwright a little more bearable .... but not that much  ;D

Wainright should have had it long before Kandahar, I feel for you guys posted out there.

Based on what someone from out west told me....Tim Ho's is largely an Ontario cult...apparently out west there is another chain, whose name I forget, that is more popular.

Still, tastes are likely to vary as much as provincial cultures and even accents...so maybe we need to bring the good word to Vancouver.

I got about $4.00 in pogs up for sale....

Bidding starts at $20 CDN    ;D

Regards

Got a voice mail from Deanna yesterday (Sunday) saying the same thing - gift certificates from here or USA are good to use in K'Har outlet.

Based on what someone from out west told me....Tim Ho's is largely an Ontario cult...apparently out west there is another chain, whose name I forget, that is more popular.

If by West, you mean BC, you may be right.  In Alberta, Timmies rules!

Who needs Tim Ho in Vancouver when you've got The Blue Parrot? ;D I love that place, and Murchies(more tea than coffee though)

Seems it's getting closer....

Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act - http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html#rid-33409

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=d658f231-0392-4ca4-8933-dd7f58c2ce45&k=75888

When it's time to relax, troops can get a Tim's fix ... 
Matthew Fisher, The Ottawa Citizen, June 23, 2006

''KANDAHAR, Afghanistan - A pair of Illyushin-76 aircraft landed with an unlikely cargo of precious foodstuffs at one of the world's busiest military airfields early yesterday.

Stuffed inside four refrigerated sea containers in the bellies of the huge Soviet-era transport aircraft were tonnes of dough chilled to exactly -10 C. The first batch of batter for Tim Hortons doughnuts and bagels had finally arrived at this tiny Canadian outpost at Kandahar Airfield after a 10,000-kilometre over the North Pole from the land of the "double-double."

A team of six startup experts from Tim Hortons in Canada arrives at this dusty military outpost this weekend to help train a team of 15 Canadians hired by the Canadian Forces Personnel Support Agency to run the franchise.

The first coffee has already been test brewed in Tim's special coffee makers. If all goes according to plan, the first doughnuts will be cooked next week.

A gala ribbon-cutting ceremony is planned for Canada Day with Brig.-Gen. David Fraser of Edmonton presiding.

Many of the 2,300 Canadians who are not on frontline combat duty or sentry duty that day are expected to attend.

For several days, Canadian troops have been eyeing the Tim Hortons kiosk, set up in a trailer on the base boardwalk alongside such U.S. fast food giants as Burger King, Pizza Hut and Subway.

"It's going to be a taste of Canada," said Warrant Officer Tim Turner of Edmonton. "It's what we have been talking about all the time."

Cpl. Jarrit Turnell of Edmonton joked that it would not only be "a great morale boost" for the soldiers, the officers would always know where to find their troops -- at the doughnut shop.

The plan is for Tim's to be open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. The menu offered in the Afghan desert will be somewhat restricted -- coffee, iced cappuccino, bagels, muffins and seven kinds of doughnuts, but no chili, soup or sandwiches. Prices will be about the same as in Canada.

"Afghanistan is not downtown Halifax or Montreal, so we have had to deal with some very special issues to get to this point," said Frank Cleyson, manager of the Canadian Forces Personal Support Agency in Kandahar, which is Tim's franchise holder.

"Of course, it is a theatre of war here, with all that that involves. There was also the question of how we could get refrigerated (shipping containers) into an airplane. Because Tim Hortons puts a lot of emphasis on quality control, another big concern has been how reliably can refrigeration work when it is 50C or 60C."

Canada is in Afghanistan until at least the spring of 2009. When the operation here ends, the franchise will move on to wherever Canadian troops are next deployed.''

The line up at the tim hortons on CFB petawawa is retarded.  Starts at the door the last few times I've visited.  I can't even imagine what the line up is going to look like in KAF.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/subscriber/world/story/3562792p-4116383c.html

Rolling up the rim in Afghanistan
Tim Hortons opening at Kandahar airport

Fri Jun 23 2006

By Matthew Fisher

Matthew Fisher / CanWest news service
Warrant Officer Tim Turner looks forward to coffee and a toasted bagel in Kandahar.   

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan -- A pair of Illyushin-76 aircraft landed with an unlikely cargo of precious foodstuffs at one of the world's busiest military airfields early yesterday.
Stuffed inside four refrigerated sea containers in the bellies of the huge Soviet-era transport aircraft were tonnes of dough chilled to exactly --10 C. The first batch of batter for Tim Hortons donuts and bagels had finally arrived at this tiny Canadian outpost at Kandahar Airfield after a 10,000-kilometre over the North Pole flight from the land of the "double-double."

A team of six startup experts from Tim Hortons in Canada arrives at this dusty military outpost this weekend to help train a team of 15 Canadians especially hired by the Canadian Forces Personnel Support Agency to run the franchise.

The first coffee has already been test brewed in Tim's special coffee machines. If all goes according to plan, the first donuts should be cooked early next week.

A gala ribbon-cutting ceremony is planned for Canada Day with Brig.-Gen. David Fraser of Edmonton presiding. Many of the 2,300 Canadians who are not out on frontline combat duty or sentry duty that day are expected to attend.

For several days, Canadian troops have been eyeing the Tim Hortons kiosk, set up on in a trailer on the base boardwalk alongside such U.S. fast food giants as Burger King, Pizza Hut and Subway. 
"It's going to be a taste of Canada," said Warrant Officer Tim Turner of Edmonton. "It's what we have been talking about all the time."

Cpl. Jarrit Turnell of Edmonton joked that it would not only be "a great morale boost for the boys. Now the OC's will always know where to find us."

The plan is for Tim's to be open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. The menu offered in the Afghan desert will be somewhat restricted -- coffee, iced cappucino, bagels, muffins and seven kinds of donuts, but no chili, soup or sandwiches.

-- CanWest News Service

I hope they sent 2 ice cap machines! I'd hate to be behind the soldier who hears "ummm, I'm really sorry but the machine is broken" ;D

Back