• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

To and From base.

EpicBeardedMan

Inactive
Reaction score
In the navy whenever we leave or come back to the base (weekends or whatever) do we need to leave and come back wearing our uniform and if so what do we wear? Normal cadpat (not sure if we keep it after basic since it seems more of an army dress thing). Thanks.

If you're posted on a ship, you'll be wearing NCDs. And no, you do not have to go to and from the dockyard in your uniform, you can leave it on the ship, which is what most people do...

KrazyHamburglar said:
If you're posted on a ship, you'll be wearing NCDs. And no, you do not have to go to and from the dockyard in your uniform, you can leave it on the ship, which is what most people do...

Why is that, by the way? I work at 12 Wing and I've always found that behaviour somewhat bizarre at dockyard since it just seems like extra changing.

It's not a required extra changing, it's optional. Should you wish to wish to go to and/or from work in uniform you are quite free to do so. Some (myself included) generally prefer not to do so. The reasons for doing so may vary.

gcclarke said:
The reasons for doing so may vary.

Is "having to park 6 miles from dockyard and walk through a crap neighbourhood" one of them ?

;D

Hahaha well do we get CADPAT's as well as the naval combat dress or are they returned after basic? Was just wondering if the CADPAT was the general uniform of all elements.

CADPAT is for the Army and Airforce, the Navy equivalent to CADPAT is NCD's, as soon as you finish basic you give back everything green.

Depending on your trade, you may not wish (may not be allowed) off Base. Sometimes NCDs and sea boots tend to get a little rough looking and therefore are not permitted off Base.  I cringe when I see a sailor in the grocery store on the way home in ratty looking NCDs.  Without making a scene, I (as will most) will make a comment to said individual. Having said that, every now and then, you will see a CPO or Lt(N) looking like he just climbed out of the AAMR bilge!! 
Bottom line here, if your NCDs look pretty much like they did the day they were issued, wear them proudly to and from work (and save yourself the hassle of changing). For me, I used to have my 'work' boots and my 'going home' boots too.
NOTE: As a hard sea trade, the only time you will ever wear green cadpat is if you are part of the MARLANT/MARPAC Nijmegen Team.

Pat in Halifax said:
Depending on your trade, you may not wish (may not be allowed) off Base. Sometimes NCDs and sea boots tend to get a little rough looking and therefore are not permitted off Base.  I cringe when I see a sailor in the grocery store on the way home in ratty looking NCDs.  Without making a scene, I (as will most) will make a comment to said individual. Having said that, every now and then, you will see a CPO or Lt(N) looking like he just climbed out of the AAMR bilge!! 
Bottom line here, if your NCDs look pretty much like they did the day they were issued, wear them proudly to and from work (and save yourself the hassle of changing). For me, I used to have my 'work' boots and my 'going home' boots too.
NOTE: As a hard sea trade, the only time you will ever wear green cadpat is if you are part of the MARLANT/MARPAC Nijmegen Team.

Ahh that clears things up, appreciate the information, thanks!  :)

Also from a practicality standpoint, Sea boots are frankly not very good for walking in. They are very heavy due to the steel toe and all the protection they need to have, they are stiff, and the waterproof lining means they don't breathe very well. My combat boots from basic training are great for walking, because they were perfectly broken in after the 13k.

In all honesty Sea boots are the main reason I change into my NCD's on the ship, if I had combat boots instead, I would probably dress at home and save the time.

niceasdrhuxtable said:
Why is that, by the way? I work at 12 Wing and I've always found that behaviour somewhat bizarre at dockyard since it just seems like extra changing.

Change on the ship before you go home or change when you get home. Unless you wear your flight suit at home same number of clothing changes!

Retired FDO said:
Change on the ship before you go home or change when you get home. Unless you wear your flight suit at home same number of clothing changes!

Except when I get up in the morning to go to work, I put on my flight suit and head off. I'm not putting on civilian clothing just to change again before I head out the door.

The sea boot argument makes a bit more sense to me, though.

Back