• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tory minority in jeopardy as opposition talks coalition. Will there be another election?

Kilo_302 said:
We live in a democracy (sort of) and the Conservative Party seems hell bent on taking what we have left away. They are playing politics with the economic crisis. To artifically balance the books, they are talking about selling government assets at cut rate prices to the private sector. Maybe the GST cut has something to do with the projected deficit? It is despicable, and Canadians should be up in arms about it.

What planet are you from?
The Liberals brought in the $1.75/vote in. That is undemocratic. Chretien just did it, no questions asked. Now how about the GST???? Chretien promised to remove it and NEVER did.
Now when Harper cuts the GST by 2%, you have the nerve to whine about it?
Give me a break. It's the Liberals, NDP and Bloc playing politics with the average persons wallet.... :rage:

GAP said:
Gee, it's a time of restraint.....why is the GOC spending taxpayers $$ duplicating what the Private Sector is already doing? Time to Cut Back!!

When I can listen to the Sunday Edition, As It Happens, and Ideas on private radio (and not be assaulted by commercials designed to appeal to someone with an IQ in the low double digits while doing so) then we can talk about whether the CBC and the private sector are doing the same thing.

What planet are you from?
The Liberals brought in the $1.75/vote in. That is undemocratic. Chretien just did it, no questions asked. Now how about the GST? Chretien promised to remove it and NEVER did.
Now when Harper cuts the GST by 2%, you have the nerve to whine about it?
Give me a break. It's the Liberals, NDP and Bloc playing politics with the average persons wallet....

You are assuming I am pro-Liberal. How do you know I didn't "whine" about the Liberals when they were in power? I think all the parties are corrupt and ineffective, thats just politics. However, the Conservatives are going too far. Would you like to see all the parties bankrupt and the Conservatives have free reign? Take your blinders off. The party you love today might turn around and bite you in the @#$ if you let them get away with it.  I don't agree with most of the NDP, Liberal or Bloc policies, but having what would amount to a single party system (for a time anyway) is not the way to go, even if you are onside with that party. Power corrupts as we all know. I am sure we all remember the 1990s. This is not a partisan issue, it is an issue of democracy.

No matter what happens in order for a coalition to be formed the Governor General would have to ask for it and in my opinion that would mean the death of that position in the Canadian Democracy.

I do not think that most Canadians are prepared to see their vote be overturned by what amounts to little more than a Monarch approved government appointed national babysitter.

No, I'm not a fan of either Monarchy or the post of GG.  We've come a long way baby, both are anachronisms and not required in a mature democracy.

And making US pay millions to any political party solves the problem? I don't think so

What will bring money into any political parties coffers is honesty and integrity. Those that want to contribute will. I find it offensive that virtually every Canadian has to support the $1.75 per vote concept of funding. We had no choice and were not consulted. THAT is undemocratic, and it was put in place by Chretien and company. :rage:

Let the parties raise their own funds. No union or corporate donations allowed. No donations over $500 per year from anyone.

Let the parties raise their own funds. No union or corporate donations allowed. No donations over $500 per year from anyone.

Agreed. I would just argue that a party in power cannot decide when this should happen. Otherwise, you get situations like our current one where one party has an overflowing treasury and the others do not.

Kilo_302 said:
Agreed. I would just argue that a party in power cannot decide when this should happen. Otherwise, you get situations like our current one where one party has an overflowing treasury and the others do not.

The Liberals made their own bed. Let them sort it out.
If the Conservatives were in the same boat I'd say the same thing.
If they govern honestly, fairly and with transparency, they should have no problems filling the party war chest.

According to CTV Newsnet the talks re a Liberal-NDP coalition are based on Dion being forced out and caucus selecting an interim leader, who would be Iggy. This apparently is supported by Bob Rae. They expect the coalition to survive for a year.

The following is the text of an email I sent my MP:

I like to assume there is a plan here, and I am not very devious of mind. However the current situation is straining my credulity. My first reaction is there is something in the water in Ottawa that warps the brains of the political class. On top of the chronic paralysis of Ottawa city council and the CF fiasco perpetrated by the Carleton students union council, we now have the pending defeat of the government over 30 million in cuts in a huge government funding envelope, make that a huge government sea container.

Frankly it is too soon to get back at getting out the vote and fund raising and putting up signs and all the rest. Even worse would be the prospect of throwing the victory away, even if the possible Liberal-NDP coalition may be short lived. I am not a happy Tory. The only saving grace is that come mid-January, I am out of here until Easter.

The opposition parties would be shooting themselves in the foot big time if they forced an election this soon after the last one. ESPECIALLY on this issue. It would be very easy for the average citizen to form the link that tax money going towards political parties for the election = more expense for the tax payer to bear/less money for other programmes, because the opposition parties want to get up on their soapboxes agian, with no cost to themselves, because, afterall, the party isn't paying for it, the taxpayers are, silly buggers.

The CPC wouldn't even need much of a platform this time around. All they'd have to say is 'we stand for now, what we stood for 2 months ago, except now, we don't want YOU to have to pay for US to campaign. Maybe even have a disclaimer at the bottom of every add that says something like "paid for by the CPC, NOT by YOU" haha

OldSolduer said:
I find it offensive that virtually every Canadian has to support the $1.75 per vote concept of funding. We had no choice and were not consulted. THAT is undemocratic ...
Although, every Canadian does get full control over who will get thier $1.75.  That aspect at least seems relatively democratic.  

MCG said:
Although, every Canadian does get full control over who will get thier $1.75.  That aspect at least seems relatively democratic.  

The very concept of giving a political party $1.75 for every vote they receive is hogwash. We all pay, whether we want to give money or not.

OldSolduer said:
The very concept of giving a political party $1.75 for every vote they receive is hogwash. We all pay, whether we want to give money or not.

Why then does the majority of western democracies do so?

Whatever happens, this will look bad on the politicians. Other measures in the financial update include limiting pay raises for MPs and the public service. The cynic in me says this is a ploy by the liberals to regain power.

MCG said:

That's a fair enough opinion but the $1.75 was brought in by the Liberals to replace corporate and union donations. The Conservatives later reduced the donation limit for individuals to $1000 (now $1100). This was OK at the time because the parties had the $1.75 thus allowing them to continue the business of politics. Flaherty's move is so odious because the per vote funding removal is not being met with an increase in the individual donation limits or a return of corporate and union donations.

I say let the opposition parties form their coalition. They will then enact there policies in the midst of a recession. Handing the CPC a majority at the next election.

Whoever is in power, only has to limit spending, which is what we are seeing here. What more of a stimulus package is needed? Remember the opposition whining and crying about the corperate tax cuts? What was that, other then stimulus? What more can be done without driving up a wild deficit? Tax more?

$ 1.75 per vote is what each party gets, not all Canadians voted, All Canadians will pay out the total sum to each party what they got vote wise.  ( I will state now I voted Conservative ) I don't mind this policy, not one bit. If your better at math then I am you can be more specific but my quick fuzzy math means that each tax payer gives  peanuts if not pennies to run this.  What this program does like it or not is allow parties to exist based on numbers of votes they get.  I think it is a fair idea. That the program actually came out of the Liberals when they seen the PC / CPC floundering is deliciously ironic.  They thought it would keep money in their own pockets and hence they would stay in power.  Regardless of the reasons it is a program that exist to the benefit of all parties.  To have a party in power especially a minority, to say hey we are getting rid of it.  Nope sorry that is not smart optics and very debatable smart politics.  I agree with the view that a party should pay it's own way.  Trouble is in our system it would lead to a two man show trading every 4 years ( or worse every 3 elections) who the governing power is.  And with the powers our PM has that is allot of power that shapes generations if you are unlucky.  

Don't get me wrong I don't want to have 15 parties in Canada. Each jockeying for a coalition to put into power.  I do not see that ever happending nor will I believe that under the paid for each vote scheme it will happen.  I do not like that the Bloc gets a cut out of it but am realistic enough to know what the outrage would be in that province if they were unilaterally excluded.

I am all for Harper manning the helm of this ship in this storm.  I do not think he pushed the right button when he sounded this Fog Horn.

OldSolduer said:

There are those out there who would use that argument about defence spending.  OS I am not trying to start something but there are better arguments then that one to use

Teeps74 said:
I say let the opposition parties form their coalition. They will then enact there policies in the midst of a recession. Handing the CPC a majority at the next election.

Whoever is in power, only has to limit spending, which is what we are seeing here. What more of a stimulus package is needed? Remember the opposition whining and crying about the cooperate tax cuts? What was that, other then stimulus? What more can be done without driving up a wild deficit? Tax more?

I actually thought of that when I first heard about it.  If you want to take power now by all means.  After this financial crisis is over and if Canadians suffer much from it.  I fully expect the Conservatives to take a major hit in the next election.  Having the Coalition of the Pop Shop drinkers take over may actually be the best thing for those who like the Conservatives

I agree with the earlier comment that is nothing but a ploy to get the liberals-NDP in power. If they force an election SO soon then I say we as Canadians must ensure we stop sitting on the fence and start sending to power the ones we want.

I personally think it's another game of chicken that might blow up in the Conservatives faces.  This is definitely to piss the opposition off.  They vote for it and they take a hit financially they vote against it and they look bad.  They Economic Update includes some pretty dubious and vague things as well.  10 billion in Assets to be sold off?  What assets?  Nothing specific.  4 billion in cuts to social programs?  Which ones?  Or how about the removal of the Public Service's right to strike? (I'm not a uninon fan but this is rings some alarm bells about what's next)

I'm more worried about those other issues.

And really?  What is 1.75 per vote really mean in the grand scheme of the economy?  30 million dollars?  And what will it achieve?  Personally I think that a partially public funded system minimises the corruption that say a corporate sponsored system would do.  I would hate for a party in power to have to "owe"  a company or a an individual and be forced to cater to their agendas.  Not that this doesn't really happen.

i really think that that Harper has gotten a little too cocky with his political maneuvering.  In the past he was able to pull off some masterful stuff but this time I think he's going to lose out.  Everybody is pissed about a potential election...doubtful.  If a coalition is formed with the Bloc holding the real balance of power there won't be an election.  And then what?  A year of leftist agendas.  How is that good? 

The Conservatives have pushed the other parties into a corner and they are now literally fighting for their survival.  Of course they will fight back.  Hopefully Harper will rethink this.  He'll look weak for the short term but at least he'll still be in power.

Back