• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tour After Tour After Tour - The Reality of PTSD.

I`m new to the form but not the army if any one would like help with or support in regards to ptsd i would like to help. I am in the combat ams trade for near 10 years and have been battling ptsd for just over 2 years.
I`m open minded and have a wide scope of training and experience.
Yeah bad spelling must be the BEER. ;D

If anyone is interested...

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060923/veterans_stress_060923/20060923?hub=Health

Study: More war veterans suffering from stress

Updated Sat. Sep. 23 2006 3:29 PM ET

Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- More than one-third of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans seeking medical
treatment from the Veterans Health Administration report symptoms of stress or other
mental disorders -- a tenfold increase in the last 18 months, according to an agency study.

When it comes to PTSD, the best thing that one can have when they come back from combat, is support from loved ones. It's a good idea for those who have spouces, for the spouces to educate themselves about it, actually, it's not only a good idea but very important. I have a good friend that went to Iraq. When he went on his depolyment, I knew nothing about PTSD. It hit me like a brick wall when he returned and it was then that I started learning about it. I wish I had prepared myself more, because alot of things that I experienced with him, I was kind of blaming myself. Now that I have done some reading about it on my own, I can understand but not completely. Only he knows what he saw and what he went through. For myself, there are somethings I saw him go through that are hard to discuss, but if anyone needs a listening ear I am here. All I can do is pray that he will seek treatment, he has been home since Jan of '04 and the last time I spoke with his Dad he told me that he is still not well at all.

Rebecca

Rebecca

Almost a year on this board and this is the first time I have found this particular forum. 48th, thank you for some very helpful tips and advice though a caveat the folks from OSISS are just like every one else. We recently had one of their briefings and meet with the briefer afterwards for more private information sessions. The briefer then lost their notes and what had transpired in this session and we are now back to square one-no harm, no foul. I have been diagnosed PTSD for 11 years now it makes for an interesting life, as some on this site know. WE ARE DIFFERENT, and yes I am sorry if we do not fit into your nice tight organized cliques. Maybe the reason for my here and there approach to time spent on this site lately. What really pissed me off was it took the civilian medical staff to finally figure out was wrong, once that was done things more or less fell into place. Now thanks to the advice from 48th about documentation from other sources than DND, VAC is now willing to reexamine my case and being in Calgary I have been lucky to fall in with a bunch of the same birds of a feather. It is mind boggling the amount of different meds everyone is either one or has been on or the many creative ways we have thought about the final release from this curse. What works for one definatley may not work for others. In agreement with several others in this thread alcohol does seem to help consumed with others does give way to some excellent venting sessions, which greatly assist in climbing out of those valleys. So do ten k runs and long walks up and down mountains. What has been real interesting is that the WO who chewed me out for lack of moral fibre when I had a crying episode while giving drill on my CLC course apoligized to me last week. He had no idea and is now enrolled to take the OSISS course. Lastly, PSTD was not formally recognized for what it is until 1984 so they the practionaries of the healling arts are still to some extent themselves learning about us. And yes the dumber ones do make good venting targets if the boys/girls are not around for an informal session. In closing please do not over look the FACT that not all PTSD is combat/tour related. Some of us have some very interesting experiences else where in our military life.
Keep up the good work 48th

editted for spelling/grammer as it is hard to see the key board from the bottom of a valley.

3RD,

Thank you brother!

After 10 long years of denying that I was suffering, some people helped me get the aid I needed.  I want to do the same, and pass it on.

Good luck, and may we one day me and vent together over some jars.

dileas

tess

Back