• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trade Choices - EME vs EngO

menezes

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,
I have previously searched this but didn't find much info directly pertaining the my question.
I applied for EME and Eng Officer. The position of EME appeals to me more as I'll be using my educational background, however I do not want to be in a shop all the time. Not that it's a bad environment or anything, but according to the Canadian Forces videos (on their website), eng officers just seem more involved with other soldiers on the ground. Do EME officers get to do patrols, or go out with the combat engineers for certain training exercises and deployments? I want to involved as a member of the combat arms, but a recruiter I spoke to mentioned EME officers receive training I would be unable to recieve as an EngO ( Such a nuclear eng, laser guided systems, etc.) Any help would be appreciated (At this point I would classify EngO as my #1 trade choice).

Thank you for your time.

I'm sure a there is a EME Officer position in a Combat Engineer Regiment as a Maintance Platoon Commander. You probably won't be on a shop floor much either as a EME Officer as that job isn't the hands on working on vehicles/equipment job.

Also, the odds of a EME Officer out on a patrol as part of their typical duties is slim to none.

There is a maint officer pos at the engineer regiments. An EME officer generally wont be out on patrols, they will go to the field as the maintenance officer, or if you are with a svc bn, a platoon cmdr. When you are ''in the shop'' you are managing people and equipment maintenance. The catch phrase is "in the rear with the gear"

And its the eme techs that look after the nuclear and laser stuff. More specifically an EO tech usually has those courses. (I was an EO tech before going EME officer, i got those courses as a Cpl)
In reality if you have an Eng degree, you won't use it as an EME officer unless you are posted to Ottawa in projects.

Back