• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Transition Group (Previously JPSU and DCSM)

I have to agree with Navy Phoenix on this one, too often the finger is pointed at JPSU.  People sometimes have highly unreasonable expectations of the JPSU due to lack of knowledge in their function. From my experience they worked extremely hard to do everything possible to assist the mbrs attached or posted to them.

I have been posted to JPSU unit for about 16 months now, and all most all issues do not come from staff, it comes from the civilians hired and working there.
My staff had a hay day with me, they have never had someone who was posted in and was Fit for Duty. Before me all people they had posted there had already been on TCat or PCat
My Sgt and WO have been amazing upon my posting in, time leading up to surgery and last 6 months recovery.

couple examples

They have even attempted twice to get me my promotion to CPL, Upon my arrival as I was fit, had the forces test, time in (currently at 4 1/2 years) and my 2.0 (Cpl Quals) and CFB Edmonton Policy was to promote to Cpl at 3 years due to higher cost of living. (upon my arrival in Edmonton I had 3 years 3 months of service)

My old CoC provided supporting paperwork saying if I had remained I would have been advanced promoted (my posting for surgery was the reason they didn't submit the paperwork), JPSU provided supporting paperwork and the local trade unit provided supporting paperwork saying if I had been posted to them I would have had my Cpls by end of my first month there

The first time it was rejected on it was not Ottawa Policy to promote Cpl on 3 years due to higher cost of living and being posted to JPSU made me Operational Undeployable.  .

My only issue with JPSU was some person in Ottawa had the final say on my promotion to Cpl and rejected it based on Ottawa policies not CFB Edmonton policy (at the time)

Turns out no matter what base you are on, if you are posted to JPSU, you belong to Ottawa and most decisions are made based on Ottawa policies not local Base or unit policies.

About 2 weeks ago they put forward my promotion again based on the new CANFORGEN that came out in Feb stating  DE-LINKING OF MEDICAL CONDITION FROM PROMOTION CRITERIA.  And even tho I would only be promoted to Acting Cpl till I completed the forces test after the completion of my physio and reactivation PT.

As great as my promotion would be, I must admit some of my egerness for my promotion is motivated by the pay raise that comes with it.  I do admit my bills have drastically increased do to being posted from Petawawa to Edmonton and I lost field pay because of not belonging to a field unit (I even had to return my rucksac).

Almost every time I have had a bad experience it is from my civilian case nurse, who didn't like something or wanted something changed because of her personal opinion.

I was RTD to a local unit until my surgery. They wanted to send me to field to prevent skill fade and even give me training I didn't have before, both CoC were in agreement with this. The Case Nurse didn't like the idea of sending me to the field so she had me given Not Fit For Field MEL, even tho I was fit for duty. And when it came time to do the forces test (10 days before my surgery) she had No Forces Test put on my MEL, even when I had approval from doctor to attempt it.

I have talked with a few other people posted to JPSU who are awaiting medical release (where I will returning to active duty upon receiving Fit For Duty), and their issues are not with JPSU themselves but the Civilian and VA.

Now I do admit that my experience is not the same as everyone else. I am simply saying my experience has been the civilians that have caused 95% of issues I have.

PS

For the record this is not a poor poor me message.. it's a here are some of the reasons for my opinion message

Posting this here mostly because of the JPSU focus ...

From CBC.ca ...
Military to disband and replace oft-maligned support units for wounded soldiers

Units were created in crisis, Gen. Jonathan Vance says, and time has come to do better

After an attempted overhaul last year, an often-maligned support unit for ill and injured soldiers will be disbanded, the country's top military commander says.

Gen. Jonathan Vance, the chief of defence staff, testified before a Senate committee on Wednesday that the function of the Joint Personnel Support Units (JPSUs) will be folded into a "proper, professionalized" organization that will better help members transition to civilian life.

"The JPSU was created in crisis," Vance told reporters following the meeting. "I think enough time has passed, we've gained enough expertise about how to manage this better."

The units were set up in 2008 during the Afghan war as centres where wounded troops could be posted until they recovered or left the military. The 24 personnel-support centres are located at bases and wings across the country, and offer programs and administrative support to troops unable to fulfil their regular duties.

Internal defence department studies have shown few of the soldiers posted to JPSUs returned to their units.

Soldiers have long complained the JPSUs and their subordinate Integrated Personnel Support Centres are habitually understaffed and that the units have often proved unhelpful in preparing them for a post-military career.

Last year, an internal assessment team, ordered by Vance and led by Brig.-Gen. David Anderson, identified myriad problems, many related to staffing and resources ...
... and the Globe & Mail:
The Chief of the Defence Staff is planning to create a branch of human-resource professionals within the military that would be dedicated to helping retiring soldiers, sailors and aviators step more easily into civilian life.

One of the most difficult problems facing the Canadian Forces in recent years has been the uneven, and often jarring, process for discharging personnel.

That is especially true for members of the military who are forced out of their jobs as a result of a service-related injury and sometimes have to wait unreasonable amounts of time for the benefits that will cover their basic expenses. But even uninjured veterans, reservists in particular, have waited months for their first pension cheques. And the psychological impact of taking off a uniform for the last time can be severe.

General Jonathan Vance told a Senate committee on Wednesday he has plans to make the transition out of the military more seamless.

His plans include the re-establishment of a defunct branch of the Armed Forces called the personnel administration branch and the eventual disbandment of the Joint Personnel Support Unit (JPSU), which was created during the war in Afghanistan to deal with the needs of ill and injured soldiers and now performs many of the discharge functions.

“We will change our approach from that which is provided by the current JPSU and staff an organization that will exist across the country and provide expertise and direct support to those members who are retiring, regardless of what the reason is for why they are retiring,” Gen. Vance told the senators.

The intent is to put the job of transition into the hands of trained human-resource experts and to ensure that no member leaves the forces without all of their paperwork completed, the general said. In fact, he later told reporters, he would like no member of the military to leave the forces until their first pension cheque is ready to be mailed ...

BrownCoatOtaku said:
I have been posted to JPSU unit for about 16 months now, and all most all issues do not come from staff, it comes from the civilians hired and working there.
My staff had a hay day with me, they have never had someone who was posted in and was Fit for Duty. Before me all people they had posted there had already been on TCat or PCat
My Sgt and WO have been amazing upon my posting in, time leading up to surgery and last 6 months recovery.

couple examples

They have even attempted twice to get me my promotion to CPL, Upon my arrival as I was fit, had the forces test, time in (currently at 4 1/2 years) and my 2.0 (Cpl Quals) and CFB Edmonton Policy was to promote to Cpl at 3 years due to higher cost of living. (upon my arrival in Edmonton I had 3 years 3 months of service)

My old CoC provided supporting paperwork saying if I had remained I would have been advanced promoted (my posting for surgery was the reason they didn't submit the paperwork), JPSU provided supporting paperwork and the local trade unit provided supporting paperwork saying if I had been posted to them I would have had my Cpls by end of my first month there

The first time it was rejected on it was not Ottawa Policy to promote Cpl on 3 years due to higher cost of living and being posted to JPSU made me Operational Undeployable.  .

My only issue with JPSU was some person in Ottawa had the final say on my promotion to Cpl and rejected it based on Ottawa policies not CFB Edmonton policy (at the time)

Turns out no matter what base you are on, if you are posted to JPSU, you belong to Ottawa and most decisions are made based on Ottawa policies not local Base or unit policies.

About 2 weeks ago they put forward my promotion again based on the new CANFORGEN that came out in Feb stating  DE-LINKING OF MEDICAL CONDITION FROM PROMOTION CRITERIA.  And even tho I would only be promoted to Acting Cpl till I completed the forces test after the completion of my physio and reactivation PT.

As great as my promotion would be, I must admit some of my egerness for my promotion is motivated by the pay raise that comes with it.  I do admit my bills have drastically increased do to being posted from Petawawa to Edmonton and I lost field pay because of not belonging to a field unit (I even had to return my rucksac).

Almost every time I have had a bad experience it is from my civilian case nurse, who didn't like something or wanted something changed because of her personal opinion.

I was RTD to a local unit until my surgery. They wanted to send me to field to prevent skill fade and even give me training I didn't have before, both CoC were in agreement with this. The Case Nurse didn't like the idea of sending me to the field so she had me given Not Fit For Field MEL, even tho I was fit for duty. And when it came time to do the forces test (10 days before my surgery) she had No Forces Test put on my MEL, even when I had approval from doctor to attempt it.

I have talked with a few other people posted to JPSU who are awaiting medical release (where I will returning to active duty upon receiving Fit For Duty), and their issues are not with JPSU themselves but the Civilian and VA.

Now I do admit that my experience is not the same as everyone else. I am simply saying my experience has been the civilians that have caused 95% of issues I have.

PS

For the record this is not a poor poor me message.. it's a here are some of the reasons for my opinion message

I think if I had a doctor telling me I could do it and it was in writing, I would ignore what the nurse had to say and did the test anyways.  When I need to go to sick parade for anything, I always tell them I want to see a doctor and not a PA or nurse.  The medics don't always like it but it is my right.  I've had a coupe bad experiences with a PA and nurse so I don't want to see them.

Also, VAC told me they only go by what a MD says and not a PA or nurse practitioner.

I have a question on the length of time it typically takes for a member to see a posting message to JPSU.  Without going into too much detail, I’ve been dealing with vertigo and daily migraines for almost two years now.  My MO has submitted his PCAT recommendation and I have written a memo and filled out the JPSU application myself and submitted to my CoC.  My MO and my case manager have been asking me if my CoC have mentioned anything to me in regards to my status on my units end but still two months later, nothing has happened or even passed over to medical for them to do their part for the JPSU posting request.  Further, my MO and case manager have put in a request to have my medical release expedited and are trying to have me posted to JPSU Petawawa to be closer to family so that they can assist with my medical needs ( no support where I am currently posted). I’m required to use a cane and have homecare support and medical devices installed in my home because of the severity of my issues.  I, only asking because I’ve been given different advice from different people and do not want to step on toes.

chadk said:
I’ve been dealing with vertigo and daily migraines for almost two years now. 

For reference,

Dizziness/Vertigo 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/124491.0
OP: chadk

chadk,

A few questions - do currently go to your unit on work days or do your MELs have you staying at home?  If you go to work do you performance any of your normal duties?  The CO would only push for you to be posted and replaced if your MELs affect his unit's daily operations. It would be crucial for you to ask the chain of command their intentions as the MO and Case Manager do not initiate the process, they provide support and a recommendation. If you are not going to work regularly and the unit does not need a replacement then the process could drag on for a long time.  If they have sent a recommendation to DMC it could take days or months depending on the backlog and priority/urgency of your case.

"A posting to the JPSU must be recommended by the unit Commanding Officer, and supported by the Base/Wing Surgeon or a delegated senior medical officer. The approving authority for posting Regular Force personnel to the JPSU is Director of Military Careers and it is the appropriate Command Headquarters (HQ) for Reserve Force personnel. CANFORGEN 114/11 provides further detail on posting to the JPSU."  http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-benefits-ill-injured-deceased/guide.page

My condition and MELs unfortunately have me at home except for two half days per week. It is also only for socialization as simple tasks can cause my vertigo to increase.  I’m getting paid so will never complain but with my condition I also feel that I’m totally useless to the uniform. Posting wise,  I am in a posting where I can be easily forgotten.  I’m only curious as my counselor, MO and case manager would like to have me under closer family care for appointments etc.  This condition quite sucks .....saying all that I understand the military process

I searched for this answer, but did not find it here. Is it possible to get posted between JPSU's? For example, If you was going to be Medically release, you ask to go to JPSU, but it is not your ideal place you want to live. Can you request to be posted from JPSU to JPSU in a different province?

I remember reading that if the member needed to be closer to family for support a move closer to them could be supported.

Keep in mind if you are just looking at ideal place to live once released you will still get a final move paid for.

I have had several members request a posting to a different geographical location. The only occasions where they were successful was if there was a medical recommendation to do so. All other cases saw the member take their IPR, and then the releasing base was changed, along with the IPSC they would report into.

At one time, we used to use Voc Rehab as a reason to get someone posted to a JPSU/IPSC in a new geographic location, but that has since ceased in most cases as well.

That would depend on the nature of the conditions on which they were posted to the JPSU.  Are they being medically released and the course is part of the transition and vocational rehabilitation plan?  Is it part of a Return to Work process after a series disease or medical intervention?

Simian Turner said:
That would depend on the nature of the conditions on which they were posted to the JPSU.  Are they being medically released and the course is part of the transition and vocational rehabilitation plan?  Is it part of a Return to Work process after a series disease or medical intervention?

Sorry, I should of been more clear! Mbr being medically released. How long can a Mbr stay into JPSU? If allowed to attend school, do they stay in JPSU until school is completed? How does it work?

Vocational Rehabilitation Program for Serving Members (VRPSM)
References
CANFORGEN 151/07, 136/04, 135/04, 088/04, 100/00

Purpose
VRPSM is a program that enables eligible CAF members who have been notified of an impending Item 3(a) or 3(b) release, with the approval of their Commanding Officer, to commence participation in vocational rehabilitation training for up to six months prior to the earlier date of either their start of retirement leave, or their final date of release from the CAF.

Eligibility
Regular Force members who have successfully completed the requirements of Developmental Period 1 and Primary Reserve Force members who have completed two years of consecutive full-time service at the documented date of either their injury/illness or Administrative Review - Medical Employment Limitations (AR/MEL) decision that leads to the medical release or injured in a Special Duty Area (SDA) or Special Duty Operation (SDO) for which they are medically released are eligible to apply for VRPSM.

Details
Members participating in this program are on duty; therefore, they remain subject to all normal administrative and disciplinary policies. Normal chain of command reporting structures and responsibilities apply. 

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-benefits-ill-injured-deceased/guide.page

If a member meets the requirements for JPSU with a high risk MEL and request to go to JPSU, but still can work daily. Can JPSU deny your request? Can the members CO deny the request? I assume an CO can deny the request, does that happen often?

Ref: - CANFORGEN 114/11
- Posting to the Joint Personnel Support Unit (JPSU) and the Service Personnel Holding List (SPHL)

Yes, a CO can deny a request for a posting to JPSU.

Eligibility

Ill and injured Regular Force members are eligible for posting to the JPSU. Under certain conditions, Reserve Force members may be eligible for posting to the JPSU. Posting to the JPSU is based on a prognosis of restricted employment due to medical reasons for a period of six months or more. A posting to the JPSU must be recommended by the unit Commanding Officer, and supported by the Base/Wing Surgeon or a delegated senior medical officer. The approving authority for posting Regular Force personnel to the JPSU is Director of Military Careers and it is the appropriate Command Headquarters (HQ) for Reserve Force personnel. CANFORGEN 114/11 provides further detail on posting to the JPSU.

To add to kratz's response...

If the member can work full days, no matter what their MELs say, a posting to JPSU is no longer likely to be supported.  Even if it turns out the member is going to be medically released, the decision message from DMCA will likely read along the lines of the member is eligible to be posted to JPSU for the last six months in order to commence voc rehab and JPSU won't even look at them until then. 

This started happening 3-4 years ago in my experience and now leaves the unit unable to get a fully fit member posted in, which was one of the biggest reasons JPSU was stood up for in the first place. 

If the member can work full days, no matter what their MELs say, a posting to JPSU is no longer likely to be supported.  Even if it turns out the member is going to be medically released, the decision message from DMCA will likely read along the lines of the member is eligible to be posted to JPSU for the last six months in order to commence voc rehab and JPSU won't even look at them until then. 

This started happening 3-4 years ago in my experience and now leaves the unit unable to get a fully fit member posted in, which was one of the biggest reasons JPSU was stood up for in the first place. 
[/quote]

Does that happen very often? I know several of my co-workers was sent to JPSU. Some was able to work everyday, some was only 3-4 days a week. My unit's duty driver is a JPSU mbr who is able to work everyday, he only had an upper body MSK surgery! I have also seen a chain of command trying to send a Member to JPSU without telling the member at all! I wonder what the BSurg uses to determine who goes to JPSU?

Every case is unique, much like every individual's medical condition and MELs. I would like to think the BSurg weighs a lot of factors including MELs, risk level, CO's comments, member's preference, etc. There's also going to be cases where a member occupies a 1 of 1 position in a unit that cannot go without a specific skillset that the member has but can no longer provide. JPSU allows the member to recover and allows the unit to be able to post in a member to meet their operational requirements.

Back