• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Transporting the Leopard 2; split from Leopard 2 Pictures

TN2IC

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
We only sent one? Is that all the aircraft can handle? I could of sworn I seen some more room there.  ;D

TN2IC
While I do not profess to be in the know,
there is a lot of additional kit necessary to support the Leos.  And that kit also has to find it's way to Kandahar.
There might not have been room for more than one on that trip.

Yeah true Geo. I didn't think of that factor for some reason.

One of those planes can only carry two Leo tanks + the supporting equipment. There are two tanks in those photos they just look the same and you only see one at a time.

Guys in one of the pictures the Leo is on flatbed, is that one of ours or is another country giving our tank a lift?

I know we have / are getting some Merc Benz heavy transporters BUT is it one of ours or one from the pool, couldn't tell ya.  But ours are like those

Steel Horse said:
Guys in one of the pictures the Leo is on flatbed, is that one of ours or is another country giving our tank a lift?

Another country's.  We once had four MAN Tank Transporters in the 1980's, but they were not brought back to Canada when we closed down CFE.  Canada does not have any Tank Transporters.  We rely on rental equipment.

Just a note:  Canada never had any effective means of moving a Regiment of Tanks since the Second World War.  Four Tank Transporters in CFE were only good for moving wrecks/breakdowns.  They could move a Troop if necessary, but not a Sqn, nor a Regiment.  So Recovery was all they could do effectively.

George,
Received a presentation last week from our J4 - heavy lifters are on their way.
How many, couldn't tell you but, they are in the works.

A minimum number to move a Sqn would be 20 to 30 (allowing for breakdowns and/or the possibility of additional Heavies, like Engineers or ARVs).  I am sure what we will see is the usual "On the Cheap" and the eventual purchase of 4.   ;)

Yes.

Read the characteristics of the C-17.  

Read the characteristics of the Leo 2.

Read the characteristics of the M 1.

Read other topics posted here.

Realize that there may be physical space for more than one or two tanks to fit into an aircraft, but the weight of cargo that certain aircraft can lift may not permit more than one or two.  All of the questions of the last 12 hours have already been discussed before.  Search and Read or Google or Wiki and you will find.

Yes George,
I concurr 100%
someone will attempt to make do "on the cheap"
assurances that they will revisit & reconsider data 1,2,3 yrs down the line
file & forget....

Heard that tune often enough

George Wallace said:
Another country's.  We once had four MAN Tank Transporters in the 1980's, but they were not brought back to Canada when we closed down CFE.  Canada does not have any Tank Transporters.  We rely on rental equipment.

May be you and I are thinking on different scales here. But I know we can flat bed a tank no problem here. We got the tractor trailers. As for off road/over seas... different story.  ;)

TN2IC said:
May be you and I are thinking on different scales here. But I know we can flat bed a tank no problem here. We got the tractor trailers. As for off road/over seas... different story.  ;)

We do not have Tank Transporters in the Canadian Forces.  We do have some heavy lift flatbeds for Engineering equipment, but no Tank Transporters.  Every tank I have witnessed being transported in Canada, has been via a very inefficient civilian 'split' trailer.  The Germans for instance can load a complete Sqn of Tanks onto their Transporters, take the Dvr in their cab, and load the rest of the crews into buses and move off in 15 to 20 minutes with everything properly secured.  Try that in Canada.

George, are you referring to the Aspen single jeep, tridem lowbeds that were purchased 98 or 99? Hydraulic removable neck and hydraulic transition with a diesel powerpack in the neck? They were IMHO a poorly designed jack of all trades trailer but the basic design is similar to what I used for years to moved heavy equipment around North America. As for inefficient I could easily load and unload equipment at least as large and heavy as a C2 by myself in 20 or so minutes. However I didn't chain things down quite as thoroughly as what I have seen when you gents haul them. ;D

Since I am new here I just want to say a Thanks and Well Done to all of the men and women of the CF and our allies! :cdn: :salute: :salute:

Kent

TN2IC
While I do not profess to be in the know,
there is a lot of additional kit necessary to support the Leos.  And that kit also has to find it's way to Kandahar.
There might not have been room for more than one on that trip.

This is were our new C-17 will come into play.

bilton090 said:
    No it's Canadian
We have an loan agreement with the Dutch that takes us to Apr 08.  So, it may look like they are vehicles to the casual observer.  The AHSVS is still in the works (and I am not sure that back flips were done in time to change specs for it to haul the Leo 2).

tech2002 said:
would leopard 2 fit in c-17 ? 

Yes it will ... however there is a small issue of the pressure, the pounds per square inch, "PSI".
Right now, although the bulk weight of the Leopard is not a showstopper for us (we can easily accommodate the tank for both weight and size), the ratio of total weight to square inch, the "pressure" of the treads on the floor is a showstopper right now.

The issue is being worked .... we may have to install some sort of shoring, much like the wood one can see in the photos of the tank inside the Antonov ... as a workaround.  A resolution is being sought after.

Globesmasher - Wihle the pics have been dropped from the pics, I believe there was a workaround to distribute the weight - even in the Antonov. It's a big hunk of steel and all sorts of other good stuff parked in a small area...

Back