• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not. Nanos research

They've already stated that they intend to hang on so a whole bunch of Lib and NDP members can get their pensions. That of course doesn't mean JT will hang on, but without him, I don't see anyone willing to step up, and a leadership convention that close to an election is a recipe for disaster.

Inflation is creeping back up again. Either Trudeau calls an election for the sole purpose of extricating the LPC from that economic mess by way of defeat, or starts doing all of the things he doesn’t want to do to make housing available “right now” at a much cheaper price. Cut spending, cut government work force, slam the immigration door shut, revoke work permits, stop taxing, and pump lots more oil to back the currency. Otherwise, he will cook himself, his party, and an entire generation of citizens born in Canada who might very well end up unemployed and homeless. That’s the ugly truth.
I mean, the international “look over there!” COA is to start a war.

Galvanize the public
Reinvigorate the CAF
???
Profit

🤣

I mean, the international “look over there!” COA is to start a war.

Galvanize the public
Reinvigorate the CAF
???
Profit

🤣
OMG I hope not for 🇨🇦. I see these video of drones hunting and killing Slavic lads in Ukraine and it makes me sick it could/will happen to our own troops someday, hopefully not soon.

A couple of interesting tidbits…

Turnout was extraordinarily high for a by-election. Voters crawled over broken glass in a Liberal bastion to vote out the Liberals.

Also, the NDP saw no uplift in the Liberals’ collapse. Usually if the Liberals implode, the NDP sees gains.

I am not familiar with this area. Would it be populated by aging hippie progressive types who would vote NDP if they didn’t think their neighbours would think they were barbarians, or by professionals and finance types who are the quintessentia Blue Liberal “economically right, socially liberal” types, who are scandalized that their dad’s Liberal Party was taken over by wild-eyed radicals? If the latter, it could explain the above numbers.

It’s a long time until the election. Can the Tories maintain this momentum for that long or will they start getting some own-goals?

I don’t think a new Liberal leader will be able to save any more furniture than Trudeau at this point.

As much as I would like every election to be on policy, I’m betting this will be on the person.

Why not both? The person is an easy lightning rod; the policy is more substantive but not as much fun for the opposition to go after, and the split on policy is probably much more narrow than the split on leadership personalities.

NDP have no motive to torpedo the agreement. A CPC majority makes them utterly irrelevant and they give up the considerable legislative and policy power they currently have.

The LPC have PMJT as an anchor chained to their necks. I don’t know what the mechanisms would even be for a caucus/party revolt. I don’t know if they even see a path that lessens the hit. May well be that all the real power players know that by the time a CPC majority term is up, they’ll be out of play anyway so might as well ride it out til 2025 and let Trudeau wear it. But they may feel that with the NDP still on side they still have a year of legislating to make the hit land softer on policy grounds. Tough to say.

Why not both? The person is an easy lightning rod; the policy is more substantive but not as much fun for the opposition to go after, and the split on policy is probably much more narrow than the split on leadership personalities.

NDP have no motive to torpedo the agreement. A CPC majority makes them utterly irrelevant and they give up the considerable legislative and policy power they currently have.

The LPC have PMJT as an anchor chained to their necks. I don’t know what the mechanisms would even be for a caucus/party revolt. I don’t know if they even see a path that lessens the hit. May well be that all the real power players know that by the time a CPC majority term is up, they’ll be out of play anyway so might as well ride it out til 2025 and let Trudeau wear it. But they may feel that with the NDP still on side they still have a year of legislating to make the hit land softer on policy grounds. Tough to say.
100%

From the NDP perspective when have they ever had as much ability to influence/control things as they do today? They know they won’t win the next election it’s all a matter of them getting what they can in the moment as they don’t know when their next opportunity might be.

That being said, the NDP might see their fortunes turn. They may once again form the opposition, and if they do so a second time there is a chance a lot of the strategic voters who only vote Liberal because the ‘NDP can’t win’ might start voting their way.

Has Freeland reconnected Disney + yet?

Cause that will be her entertainment once she’s booted from government.

Maybe Disney will decline her as a customer
Freeland will be just fine. Setting political mud-slinging aside, by any objective measure she is very experienced and accomplished, and she’s only 55. She’ll have tons of opportunities open to her, more than most currently within the Liberal government.

Freeland will be just fine. Setting political mud-slinging aside, by any objective measure she is very experienced and accomplished, and she’s only 55. She’ll have tons of opportunities open to her, more than most currently within the Liberal government.
I was joking....

Well she definitely shit the bed working for Reuters. Her experience and accomplishments, or lack of, are well known in the private sector. She is hated near as much as trudeau by Canadians. She can't overcome that. She is the one that is cold, cruel and small. Not the 44% of voting Canadians she painted with her comments.

I think we're stuck with trudeau till the election. He would have to go now, like this week. The government is set to rise for the summer. They would need an interim leader when they come back, winter shutdown, then a leadership convention to anoint a leader, then time for that leader to show their metal to the public. Then another summer break and full into an election. I think they are out of time.

Again with the panicky flinch reaction :(

Then again, I think this is more directed at the political alternative, not at voters for that alternative, but hey, it's a good "gotcha".

... I think we're stuck with trudeau till the election. He would have to go now, like this week. The government is set to rise for the summer. They would need an interim leader when they come back, winter shutdown, then a leadership convention to anoint a leader, then time for that leader to show their metal to the public. Then another summer break and full into an election. I think they are out of time.
A lot of other people have said well before this that they're out of runway, and I tend to agree. If JT is as selfish as some say, though, it won't matter - he may just take his football & go. After all, as some commentators have been saying, if a government is not selling something new, but expecting people to thank them for what's been done so far, the writing's on the wall. Who knows if JT himself gets that? Lots in the party must get that, but ...

Let's see what the by-election kick in the 'nads does, though. 🍿

Following on to @The Bread Guy , this is the full quote for context:

"I'm really calling on the people of St. Paul's to go out there and vote for [Church] because the alternative is really cold, and cruel, and small. The alternative is cuts and austerity, not believing in ourselves as a country, not believing in our communities and in our neighbors," Freeland said.

But when I Googled that line, the first dozen or so hits were of right leaning sources misquoting her, and a few vendors offering to put said misquote on shirts.

So what was her aimed intention then ?
My read of that is a dig on Stewart, who eventually won. Not a dig on non-LPC supporters.

But that’s almost beside the point. In this day and age, when we can pretty much fact-check (or quote-check, as it were) anything relatively quickly, people should be thinking to themselves that if a sound bite seems to invoke an emotional or “gotcha” response, the first action should be to see if said sound bite is being used in its original context and not being misinterpreted (intentionally or not).

I hope and pray that Jagmeet grows a pair and pulls the plug soon. There is no end of damage that a cornered, defeated, bitter animal can bestow upon our poor benighted country in 15 months if he doesn't
And risk the pensions that were guaranteed by the Liberal posed and NDP supported Bill C-65 that the next election would happen one week later than normal to guarantee the pension of 80 MPs who were elected in 2019

My read of that is a dig on Stewart, who eventually won. Not a dig on non-LPC supporters.

But that’s almost beside the point. In this day and age, when we can pretty much fact-check (or quote-check, as it were) anything relatively quickly, people should be thinking to themselves that if a sound bite seems to invoke an emotional or “gotcha” response, the first action should be to see if said sound bite is being used in its original context and not being misinterpreted (intentionally or not).
100%. I often see anti-CPC/anti-PP posts/reels/videos that give me a "ah-ha!" moment that I want to share here or with my friends. I immediately realize, "wait a minute, this is a 'gotcha' moment", and go check, and sure enough, it's not exactly as it seems. I've done the same with anti-LPC/anti-Trudeau posts. I've spoken before about the one video being circulated claiming that Trudeau supports "removing rights" from citizens, when it is a misquote of him saying "I don't like the not-withstanding clause, because it basically says 'I don't care about your rights'", and the video circulating was just him saying that last part.

So what was her aimed intention then ?
Read the whole quote. Her aimed intention was to say that CPC policies are "cuts and austerity, not believing in ourselves as a country, not believing in our communities and in our neighbors". That is what she is saying is "cold, and cruel, and small", not the CPC candidate themselves, and not CPC voters.

Read the whole quote. Her aimed intention was to say that CPC policies are "cuts and austerity, not believing in ourselves as a country, not believing in our communities and in our neighbors". That is what she is saying is "cold, and cruel, and small", not the CPC candidate themselves, and not CPC voters.

I am not convinced there is much difference between saying that the CPC vision and policies are “cold, cruel and small” and how some LPC members think of those who support those policies and vision.

Back