• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not. Nanos research

Who reads the Walrus? No one
I’m not sure the number of readers has anything to do with its points, or substantiation.

If it’s not the MSM, then wouldn’t some folks “trust” it over CBC/CTV/Global?

I attended the Edmonton event last night - the place was packed! Must've been between 8000 to 12,000 ppl who attended (I included all the people who were outside watching on screens or in nearby pubs in the 12k count)

And I know as a public figure there will be plenty who like her, and plenty that don't -- but I honestly have to say I couldn't be happier with Danielle Smith as my premier so far!

It's a fight against the likes of Trudeau and Freeland, and I'm grateful she's up to the task
Thats awesome

I’m heading back to Alberta this spring. I’m tucking in for the foreseeable future.
Aaahhhh, Booter...I didn't even know you had left :(

Genuinely glad you're coming back tho :)

The only way I'd leave is to move to certain US states.
I think the only province I would potentially leave for would be Sask, but even that has to tick all the boxes & then some...

Either Sask, or like you, certain US states

I’m not sure the number of readers has anything to do with its points, or substantiation.

I read the Globe and Mail. I trust it to give me the Establishment/Government point of view. I do not trust it to give me the truth.
In the case of the National Post I trust it to give me a different point of view. I do not trust it to give me the truth.

If I read enough untrustworthy sources I end up forming my own cloud or scatter diagram where some things seem to be commonly believed by all parties and the points of dispute become clearer. I still don't know the truth.

So the left has their "extremists" and the right has theirs.

People who tend to lean further towards one end of the spectrum, either way, also tend to find a way to make their beliefs heard more often and more loudly than the vast majority of the folks hanging out around the middle - which is what gives them a bit of celebrity status in the first place

I don't trust the MSM media. At all. Like all of you, I've literally watched them lie right to my face about all manners of things - and quite often for no good reason, other than to push their agenda. And I truly do believe their agenda is the destruction of the country from the inside out.

So I have found myself paying a lot more attention to alternative media over the last few years. I find it insidiously ironic that the MSM can accuse alternative media as being misinformation while simultaneously lying through their teeth about stories there is no need to lie about.

At least the alternative media attempts to have people on the ground covering stories live & direct, something I've noticed the MSM doesn't even try to do anymore.

I read that article from the Walrus, and while the author may lean the opposite way of Tucker, the author himself seems to ignore some blatant facts & include only the parts of topics that support his side.

Both sides are guilty of it, with both sides probably doing so both intentionally in regards to some things and unintentionally on others.

I do appreciate reading or hearing things from an opposing view, as it's always better to be balanced & be able to see an argument from both sides. But I'm gonna stay loyal to Tucker here

The Walrus article didn't exactly win me over...

So the left has their "extremists" and the right has theirs.

People who tend to lean further towards one end of the spectrum, either way, also tend to find a way to make their beliefs heard more often and more loudly than the vast majority of the folks hanging out around the middle - which is what gives them a bit of celebrity status in the first place

I don't trust the MSM media. At all. Like all of you, I've literally watched them lie right to my face about all manners of things - and quite often for no good reason, other than to push their agenda. And I truly do believe their agenda is the destruction of the country from the inside out.

So I have found myself paying a lot more attention to alternative media over the last few years. I find it insidiously ironic that the MSM can accuse alternative media as being misinformation while simultaneously lying through their teeth about stories there is no need to lie about.

At least the alternative media attempts to have people on the ground covering stories live & direct, something I've noticed the MSM doesn't even try to do anymore.

I read that article from the Walrus, and while the author may lean the opposite way of Tucker, the author himself seems to ignore some blatant facts & include only the parts of topics that support his side.

Both sides are guilty of it, with both sides probably doing so both intentionally in regards to some things and unintentionally on others.

I do appreciate reading or hearing things from an opposing view, as it's always better to be balanced & be able to see an argument from both sides. But I'm gonna stay loyal to Tucker here

The Walrus article didn't exactly win me over...
As an aside, I find it hilarious that you don’t trust the MSM but trust Tucker Carlson, who headlined Fox News (the most watched US news channel, so by definition the MSM) for years.

As an aside, I find it hilarious that you don’t trust the MSM but trust Tucker Carlson, who headlined Fox News (the most watched US news channel, so by definition the MSM) for years.
Kirkhill said it best...

If I read or watch one news organization, I get some information. If I read or watch another, I get slightly different information. If I read or watch news from overseas about the same topic, I get yet more information - usually info I didn't get from the previous two.

And at the end of the day, I still don't know that I know the truth 100%

There is a difference between news & commentary, obviously. And sometimes it's easy to confuse the two (especially if someone is commentating on news that isn't factual) - I TRY to keep the 2 distinct & separate

The reason I distrust the MSM is because they've been caught, time & time again, misleading or downright lying to the public.

We've all caught them over the last few years lying to us about stories where they had no reason to lie or omit certain facts...which leads me to ask the obvious question - Why??

(I have my theories, but for the sake of not spamming this thread with books, I'll leave it be 😅)

Turning the discussion back your way, good sir...do you trust the mainstream media?

And according to text messages and emails released from the Dominion lawsuit, knowingly lied to his audience every night.

As a blue-blood, lvy-league fortune heir, he’s no different from Trudeau.

Kirkhill said it best...

If I read or watch one news organization, I get some information. If I read or watch another, I get slightly different information. If I read or watch news from overseas about the same topic, I get yet more information - usually info I didn't get from the previous two.

And at the end of the day, I still don't know that I know the truth 100%

There is a difference between news & commentary, obviously. And sometimes it's easy to confuse the two (especially if someone is commentating on news that isn't factual) - I TRY to keep the 2 distinct & separate

The reason I distrust the MSM is because they've been caught, time & time again, misleading or downright lying to the public.

We've all caught them over the last few years lying to us about stories where they had no reason to lie or omit certain facts...which leads me to ask the obvious question - Why??

(I have my theories, but for the sake of not spamming this thread with books, I'll leave it be 😅)

Turning the discussion back your way, good sir...do you trust the mainstream media?
My experience is that between Reuters, AP, CP, and BBC, they will usually triangulate the truth.

And according to text messages and emails released from the Dominion lawsuit, knowingly lied to his audience every night.
Like the guys who told people that Sandy Hook was a false flag, they're entertainers, not journalists ;)

If there are two things that Trudeau, personally, likely doesn't care about it's Tucker Carlson's opinion and Alberta. Let the LPC get spun up. They will link anything even remotely right wing to PP anyways.

Note, only the Liberals and NDP are involved in this discussion. What could go wrong?

Trudeau and Singh's teams quietly planning electoral reform legislation

As progress on some measures in the Liberal-NDP confidence-and-supply agreement continue to play out publicly, the two parties have quietly been in talks to table electoral reform legislation before the next federal vote.

Leading these negotiations on the political front, are Public Safety, Democratic Institutions and Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Dominic LeBlanc, and NDP MP and democratic reform critic Daniel Blaikie.

In an interview with CTVNews.ca between NDP caucus retreat sessions in Edmonton, Blaikie said there has been "a fair amount of work done," towards drafting amendments to the Canada Elections Act.

While not a full-scale overhaul of the federal voting system as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau once promised, within the two-party confidence-and-supply agreement are a series of electoral reform proposals aimed at expanding "the ability for people to vote."

Specifically, the Liberals and New Democrats agreed to explore:
  • Allowing an "expanded" three-day voting period during general elections;
  • Allowing voters to cast their ballots at any polling place within their riding; and
  • Improving the mail-in ballot process with both accessibility and maintaining integrity in mind.
"I think if you look at all of those items… those are all things that will require some kind of legislative change," Blaikie said, adding that the working expectation is that the trio of reforms would be contained in one bill that could be passed in time for the next election.

"I think people on both sides are keen to try and hammer out those final details and have a product that can be tabled in the House of Commons… I'm optimistic that we will have a bill that certainly includes ways of implementing what was in the [deal]," Blaikie said.

What remains to be revealed if, and when, the legislation comes to fruition, is how far the two parties agree to go, whether directly advancing voting accessibility reforms, or enacting some sort of process to further study expanding voting access.

It's also unclear whether these measures would be in effect for the next federal election, or if the bill would set the timeline for enacting any reforms some time into the future.

On this, the NDP said there have been conversations with Elections Canada centred around implementation, to ensure their desired changes to how Canadians cast their ballots, are feasible.

Expanding the amount of days Canadians have to cast their ballot may be the most significant proposal currently under negotiation.

While Blaikie was hesitant to get too far into specifics of the discussions that have taken place, he said some of the options that have been deliberated include having a voting weekend, expanding voting hours, or potentially adding more advance polling dates closer to election day.

"There's more than one way to do that. I think the real goal is to make voting more accessible… So we've tried to keep an open mind about it," he said, adding that hearing what Elections Canada has to say about how it would impact their operations, "has been instructive in terms of the discussions."

Motivating the push for voters to be able to cast their ballots at any polling place in their riding is in-part Blaikie's experience watching prospective voters be turned away over his years involved with campaigns, both as a candidate, and an organizer in various capacities.

He said in 2024 with the verification technologies available, this policy can be revised while maintaining electoral integrity.

If the Liberals are looking to make further election law reforms, it is possible amendments to enact the trio of reforms could be rolled in to a larger bill. However, that would be a move the New Democrats could only support if the other measures are ones that they can back.

"Issues around democracy and the integrity of elections have been a hot topic in this Parliament for some very good reasons, so we'll see if there ends up being something more," Blaikie said.

While neither side of the negotiations would divulge with any precision the timeline or the current state of draft legislation, Blaikie noted "there's only so much parliamentary runway, and in a minority Parliament, it's not always clear just how much runway there is."

LeBlanc's office told CTVNews.ca that the two parties are "currently working on" this legislation, but also declined to offer any further specifics on the timeline, vowing "next steps will be communicated in due course."

"Access to the vote is a fundamental principle of Canadian democracy, and our government is committed to further strengthening it," said spokesperson Jean-Sébastien Comeau.

Note, only the Liberals and NDP are involved in this discussion. What could go wrong?

Trudeau and Singh's teams quietly planning electoral reform legislation

As progress on some measures in the Liberal-NDP confidence-and-supply agreement continue to play out publicly, the two parties have quietly been in talks to table electoral reform legislation before the next federal vote.

Leading these negotiations on the political front, are Public Safety, Democratic Institutions and Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Dominic LeBlanc, and NDP MP and democratic reform critic Daniel Blaikie.

In an interview with CTVNews.ca between NDP caucus retreat sessions in Edmonton, Blaikie said there has been "a fair amount of work done," towards drafting amendments to the Canada Elections Act.

While not a full-scale overhaul of the federal voting system as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau once promised, within the two-party confidence-and-supply agreement are a series of electoral reform proposals aimed at expanding "the ability for people to vote."

Specifically, the Liberals and New Democrats agreed to explore:
  • Allowing an "expanded" three-day voting period during general elections;
  • Allowing voters to cast their ballots at any polling place within their riding; and
  • Improving the mail-in ballot process with both accessibility and maintaining integrity in mind.
"I think if you look at all of those items… those are all things that will require some kind of legislative change," Blaikie said, adding that the working expectation is that the trio of reforms would be contained in one bill that could be passed in time for the next election.

"I think people on both sides are keen to try and hammer out those final details and have a product that can be tabled in the House of Commons… I'm optimistic that we will have a bill that certainly includes ways of implementing what was in the [deal]," Blaikie said.

What remains to be revealed if, and when, the legislation comes to fruition, is how far the two parties agree to go, whether directly advancing voting accessibility reforms, or enacting some sort of process to further study expanding voting access.

It's also unclear whether these measures would be in effect for the next federal election, or if the bill would set the timeline for enacting any reforms some time into the future.

On this, the NDP said there have been conversations with Elections Canada centred around implementation, to ensure their desired changes to how Canadians cast their ballots, are feasible.

Expanding the amount of days Canadians have to cast their ballot may be the most significant proposal currently under negotiation.

While Blaikie was hesitant to get too far into specifics of the discussions that have taken place, he said some of the options that have been deliberated include having a voting weekend, expanding voting hours, or potentially adding more advance polling dates closer to election day.

"There's more than one way to do that. I think the real goal is to make voting more accessible… So we've tried to keep an open mind about it," he said, adding that hearing what Elections Canada has to say about how it would impact their operations, "has been instructive in terms of the discussions."

Motivating the push for voters to be able to cast their ballots at any polling place in their riding is in-part Blaikie's experience watching prospective voters be turned away over his years involved with campaigns, both as a candidate, and an organizer in various capacities.

He said in 2024 with the verification technologies available, this policy can be revised while maintaining electoral integrity.

If the Liberals are looking to make further election law reforms, it is possible amendments to enact the trio of reforms could be rolled in to a larger bill. However, that would be a move the New Democrats could only support if the other measures are ones that they can back.

"Issues around democracy and the integrity of elections have been a hot topic in this Parliament for some very good reasons, so we'll see if there ends up being something more," Blaikie said.

While neither side of the negotiations would divulge with any precision the timeline or the current state of draft legislation, Blaikie noted "there's only so much parliamentary runway, and in a minority Parliament, it's not always clear just how much runway there is."

LeBlanc's office told CTVNews.ca that the two parties are "currently working on" this legislation, but also declined to offer any further specifics on the timeline, vowing "next steps will be communicated in due course."

"Access to the vote is a fundamental principle of Canadian democracy, and our government is committed to further strengthening it," said spokesperson Jean-Sébastien Comeau.
If the legislation is only involving those two parties, you can bet dollars to donuts its being made to profit only those two parties. If they ram it through, hopefully people will see it for what it is and sink the orange and red liberals even further.

Sounds pretty similar to some of the changes the democrats are trying to make to their election systems. If so, it's another example of the democrat/ liberal policy considerations being the same.

Maybe we'll end up with electoral reform like Trudeau promised then people can be happy that another promise has been met?

Maybe we'll end up with electoral reform like Trudeau promised then people can be happy that another promise has been met?

Nope.

Allowing an "expanded" three-day voting period during general elections;

Allowing voters to cast their ballots at any polling place within their riding; and

Improving the mail-in ballot process with both accessibility and maintaining integrity in mind.

Pretty benign if you ask me.

Back