• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not (various polling, etc.)

I had read somewhere (upthread, maybe?) that the party's mechanism to remove him as leader involuntarily had been it self removed. In short, the only way to get rid of him involuntarily would be through an election loss of his own seat. And, even if the LPC were to lose the next election, he would still be party leader unless he were to lose his seat, which, while unlikely, could happen.

Yes, I read that too. Still, I think the machinations behind the scenes will see influential people talk him into it. It will still be "his" decision.

Sounds like the perfect reason to institute term limits. If they can't make it passed the 8-10 year mark anyway, why go through the charade of an election? Automatic new candidate. People like trudeau would have no way of hanging on, while acting like a bell end.
Except they aren't all Trudeaus, père ou fils. When, now and again, we get really good PMs - St Laurent or even Harper, we might be smart to hang on to them.

But, I think, that we have, de facto, adopted something similar by our own choice. Neither St Laurent nor Harper could hang on for more than a decade. Even Pierre Trudeau, with one of the best (albeit least honest) PR machines in political history, lost to Joe Clark - people were just tired of him.

Back