• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not (various polling, etc.)

“Canada doesn't have to be a world leader in battery manufacturing any more than it has to be a world leader in shipbuilding or large passenger aircraft.”

My money is that Canada was not, is not, and will never be anything other than a lightweight, mediocre manufacturer or developer of anything in the near future. The policies of this country have killed off, driven away, sold, dissolved or banished so many stellar companies to the extent it would be foolish to strive for more than barely “good enough” for a short period of time. The only exception might be something uniquely Canadian like water bombers and pure, unpreserved maple syrup.

Expensive pipeline....just build the f**king thing already, holy hell. Consultations should have been doneaages ago now, there is clearly a plan on where its going & its design...just build it already. What's the hold up!?

(If it's because someone needs to be reconsulted because of a minor change, I swear with the back of my hand...)

This is the Trans Mountain Expansion pipeline, and has been very much under active construction. We drove through the Rockies from Calgary to Vancouver last spring and a lot of the route had major pipeline construction underway just off the side of the highway. It should be complete and operating in the coming year. The expansion will nearly triple the existing pipeline’s capacity between Edmonton and the terminal/refinery in Burnaby, B.C.

How else will useless people get jobs with the PS?
GoC under Trudeau: "Look see how much this pipeline costs and how long its taken, it was a bad idea from the start like we said. Canada needs to get off O&G like we've stated all along"

The government should never be doing what is better suited to the private sector.
They bought the pipeline because the private sector literally said "fuck this we can't do it".

GoC under Trudeau: "Look see how much this pipeline costs and how long its taken, it was a bad idea from the start like we said. Canada needs to get off O&G like we've stated all along"
Considering this pipeline is about 400m from my house....and there were two, equally large similar projects going through the area at the same time...it is quite amazing the difference in work done.

TransMountain set a timeline to have work done by but then added many more positions/oversight/checks than the other projects. Contractors were selected by some really odd rules and many were disqualified for not meeting pre-set conditions (i.e. indigenous owned). Lead companies had varied pipeline experience and subcontractors were "local..i.e. from Alberta" meaning more camp costs as truly local were not hired. At least one Indigenous company did a major fleet/labor force expansion just for this job due to the multiple years of work but no idea where they will be employed post project....that being said its a very switched on group of First Nations with very smart business skills so I'm hoping they come out strong. There was no incentive to complete the work early and in fact many who worked on it were told to stretch the work out by peers as the government was back stopping it and they were told to get their portion of the work done within a couple of years...for a job that should have taken less than 3 months + post work reclamation (1 month). Then add the federal government changing the design along many segments from open excavation conventional work to greatly increasing the amount of line to be bored/tunnelled (that alone accounts for a significant increase in costs) and having crews start at a line and generally only work one direction means things were slow. That said the section through Jasper National Park was well planned and organized very differently that the segments east and west of there...different contractors...but it shows how the ability was there but the will and oversight was lacking.

The other project I'm thinking of (also a twinning of a 48" pipeline) were privately funded, same sized pipes, and operated under what I would consider more normal conditions. While the main contractors were large companies from out of town most of the sub-contracts were local residents (no camps needed). Some Indigenous companies worked on the project but I didn't see any major changes in their workforce/capacity as a result when compared to seeing them on other jobs (i.e. less boom/bust issues with employment). Work commenced on the pinch point/difficult areas and worked from those locations in both directions to join up. 24 hour operation if needed to keep on schedule and no route changes or engineering changes needed. Reclamation work was going almost as soon as the pipe was buried with most of the work done with weeks of initial work. But more importantly the whole job was designed in segments that meant as soon as a line segment was done, tied in, and signed off on...was into production. Some segments were used as alternative routes to bypass the original line allowing for upgrades and maintenance on the original line while the new line was being extended to increase work over all. Project was on time and on budget despite working through COVID and competing for resources against TransMountain.

At least we'll be so preoccupied with trying to keep an economy afloat with a government hostile to Canadians and our interests - we won't have time to argue about whether that dude is a dude or not a dude

Whether or not I agree with what they say, as soon as they made a racist 'funny' with Champagne's name I stopped listening.
I fast forward through the commentary on these things and just watch the actual interview parts. It makes things so much easier. I don't even have the need to go back and see what they said.

I fast forward through the commentary on these things and just watch the actual interview parts. It makes things so much easier. I don't even have the need to go back and see what they said.
Yeah I find the source. This new commentary sound bytes on bits of video “news” is a terrible trend

Maybe “new” is the wrong word.

Back