• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trust in our Institutions

Has your trust in our institutions changed?

• Total voters
Huh, the FN governments interference is an interesting tidbit. The recent foreign interference bill does include FN governments in the various institutions it's designed to protect via new foreign interference offences. I hadn't thought of the natural resources angle, but it immediately makes sense.
The Dakota Tipi FN has claimed the Forks as unceded territory. I wonder what the Ojibwa and Cree have to say about this?? Not to mention the Metis.

The Dakota Tipi FN has claimed the Forks as unceded territory. I wonder what the Ojibwa and Cree have to say about this?? Not to mention the Metis.

I’ll admit that I know little about how unceded territory affects what can be done on a particular plot of land.

E.g. Ottawa is on unceded Anishinabe Algonquin territory. But other than saying that before every City of Ottawa (and higher) speech, what concrete steps must be taken with that group if one were to build or change the land in any way? Do building companies need to consult with them before raising another skyscraper?

My point is - if the Dakota Tipi, Ojibwa, Cree, and Métis claim it, can’t it all be true? My understanding was that The Forks was a trading area, so of course those groups would be there to trade. In that case, does the City of Winnipeg then not say “we acknowledge that we are standing on the unceded territory of…”?

I’ll admit that I know little about how unceded territory affects what can be done on a particular plot of land.

E.g. Ottawa is on unceded Anishinabe Algonquin territory. But other than saying that before every City of Ottawa (and higher) speech, what concrete steps must be taken with that group if one were to build or change the land in any way? Do building companies need to consult with them before raising another skyscraper?

My point is - if the Dakota Tipi, Ojibwa, Cree, and Métis claim it, can’t it all be true? My understanding was that The Forks was a trading area, so of course those groups would be there to trade. In that case, does the City of Winnipeg then not say “we acknowledge that we are standing on the unceded territory of…”?
The Forks is in Treaty 1 Territory. And the Dakota are originally from the upper Minnesota region of the US.

Back