• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Two x new kitchens, eating messes for CFB Borden

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, today announced plans to construct two new All Ranks Kitchen and Dining Facilities at Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Borden. In total, these projects are valued at approximately $77 million and involve the construction of two new 6,133 m2 facilities that will replace four kitchen facilities.

(....)

The construction of the two new single-story kitchen and dining facilities will replace both existing Junior Ranks dining halls, the Officers’ Mess, and Senior NCO Mess currently being used at CFB Borden by 3,000 military personnel daily. This project is part of the CFB Borden Master Real Property Development Plan which aims to consolidate all training and quarters functions into two separate areas. Each facility will be able to serve approximately 1,500 persons per meal, and will be located on the north and south sides of the base. These new buildings will address existing deficiencies found at the current facilities, some of which are over 50 years old ....
Source:  CF news release, 12 Aug 11 - Backgrounder here

And the first stories:  what's the CF spending big bucks on places to eat when the government is cutting?  Highlights mine....
A new infrastructure announcement has raised questions about whether the government really is trimming the fat on spending.

Defence Minister Peter MacKay visited Canadian Forces Base Borden in Borden, Ont., on Friday where he announced a $77 million project to replace four kitchen facilities on the base — including the officers mess, the senior NCO mess and the junior ranks dining halls — with two 6,133 square-metre "all-ranks kitchen and dining facilities."

"I'm excited to announce plans to construct these new all-ranks dining facilities, which will provide an estimated 415 job opportunities to the local community," MacKay said in a news release.

"These new buildings will help promote a greater sense of cohesion and camaraderie among the Canadian Forces personnel here at CFB Borden, as all members will be able to share a single location for their meals."

Critics called it a questionable expense, especially at a time when the government says it intends to cut expenditures.

"We do have to question how they're setting their priorities in terms of dealing with the deficit," NDP defence critic Jack Harris told Postmedia News.

"It seems — on the surface — an outrageous amount of money for dining facilities," Harris said.
The government recently announced the closure of two search-and-rescue co-ordinating centres in Quebec City and St. John's to save "probably a couple of million dollars a year" and yet it can find the cash to replace existing buildings, he added.

"Canadians are going to question the timing of this announcement," said Gregory Thomas of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation. While the armed forces should have up-to-date equipment and infrastructure, the country is running a $30-billion deficit and this type of spending will be difficult to justify to the public, Thomas said ....
Source:  Postmedia News, 12 Aug 11

Ok yes some are 50 years old. But they're shutting down the new one built right beside PRETC Shacks? I bet even with the new buildings, the wait time for lunch will still be insane!

Canadian Forces' $77M renovations 'outrageous'

Article Link

Tobi Cohen And Beatrice Fantoni, Postmedia News · Aug. 13, 2011 | Last Updated: Aug. 13, 2011 3:03 AM ET

A $77-million kitchen renovation on a Canadian Forces Base has raised questions about whether the government really is trimming the fat on spending.

Defence Minister Peter MacKay visited CFB Borden in Borden, Ont., on Friday to announced the project to replace four kitchen facilities on the base - including the officers mess, the senior NCO mess and the junior ranks dining halls - with two 6,133-squaremetre "all-ranks kitchen and dining facilities."

"These new buildings will help promote a greater sense of cohesion and camaraderie among the Canadian Forces personnel here at CFB Borden, as all members will be able to share a single location for their meals," Mr. MacKay said in a news release, noting the project will create 415 local jobs.

Critics called it a questionable expense, especially at a time when the government says it intends to cut expenditures.

"We do have to question how they're setting their priorities in terms of dealing with the deficit," NDP defence critic Jack Harris told Postmedia News.

"It seems - on the surface - an outrageous amount of money for dining facilities," Mr. Harris said.

The government recently announced the shutdown of two search-and-rescue co-ordinating centres, in Quebec City and St. John's, to save "probably a couple of million dollars a year" and yet it can find the cash to replace existing buildings, he added.

"Canadians are going to question the timing of this announcement," said Gregory Thomas of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation. While the armed forces should have upto-date equipment and infrastructure, the country is running a $30-billion deficit and this type of spending will be difficult to justify to the public, Mr. Thomas said.

In contrast, the news was met with support from the Public Service Alliance of Canada.

"This is like a little shining light in the dark. It's nice for us to see that money is spent on (the Department of National Defence)," said Serge Desbiens, vice-president of the Union of National Defence Employees, which is part of PSAC.

Each dining facility will be able to serve about 1,500 people at a time. Of the existing four facilities, two will remain in use as mess facilities, according to details provided from CFB Borden.
More on link

GAP said:
"These new buildings will help promote a greater sense of cohesion and camaraderie among the Canadian Forces personnel here at CFB Borden, as all members will be able to share a single location for their meals," Mr. MacKay said in a news release, noting the project will create 415 local jobs.
As an officer, and as a former Jr. Rank, Jr. NCO and Sr. NCO, if I wanted to eat my meals with Ptes and Cpls, I would relinquish my commission.  There is a time and place for everything, and even the boss needs to be able to let his (or her) hair down.  Likewise, as a Jr Rank, I liked being able to "party hard" without my bosses seeing my shenanigans.

Yes, these are the dining halls, and not the "Messes" as such, but....

Technoviking said:
There is a time and place for everything, and even the boss needs to be able to let his (or her) hair down.

That's what the "drinking" messes are for.

I eat in dinning halls all the time with Privates all the way up to Colonels. The world has yet to end. In Greenwood, everyone drinks in the All-Ranks bar (there are also separate rooms that no one uses) and the world has yet to end there either.

I can understand the differences between Army and Air force cultures when it comes to the "drinking" mess but as far as eating is concerned, the benefits of a single facility are clear.

Hence the dividers the say "Offr and SNCO only"

Sadly or not, mixed dining facilities are a fact of life thee days. I eat in Normandy Court, which is just as described; officers and NCO's are separated by a short wall from the remainder of the diners. Meaford has the same system in place, as does Wainwright. The DFACS in KAF were all ranks when I was there as well, so this isn't a Canadian "innovation", rather a response to being able to feed masses of people at a lower cost/meal with one big kitchen facility rather than several separate ones.

On a personal note, I actually had difficulty with the separate dining facility a few years back when I was in Gagetown teaching CAP. Without a car, it was literally impossible for me to march from the J lines to the A lines, eat lunch and return in the alloted time. The new (to me) D dining facility was much more conveiniently located for most meals, but of course the only time I could eat there was when acting as marching NCO....

The cost is quite steep, to be sure, but perhaps we need to see the costs of similar establishments (that cater to 1000+ people at mealtimes) to see if it is really out of line.

Jammer said:
Hence the dividers the say "Offr and SNCO only"
Where do the WOs eat then?
>:D

(trollface, only because people commonly equate WOs with Sr. NCOs, which of course they aren't.  But I digress)

A central "facility" with three "wings" would, in my archaic view, be better.  But I stand by what I said earlier: if I wanted to dine with the Jr. Ranks or with the Sr NCOs and WOs, I wouldn't have taken my commission.

Reducing the number of facilities also reduces costs by consolidation.  Coupled with more modern buildings requiring less upkeep and less energy, this should save money in the long term.

Hell, then let's just build one massive SuperBase, with one building for accomodations (all ranks), one building for administration (everything) and so on.  Think of the savings.  We'll have to have a runway on the roof to accomodate our Air Force, and it will need all year water access to accomodate our Navy, and of course, a patch of grass out back to accomodate our Army.

I don't get something here. The article states these new 2 facilities are to the replace the 4 facilities already there. Okay.. two new bigger messes to replace 4.. consolidation is cheaper and all that. But then the article states that of the existing 4 facilites, 2 will remain as messes. So you still have 4.  Huh? What obvious thing am I missing here?

Technoviking said:
Hell, then let's just build one massive SuperBase, with one building for accomodations (all ranks), one building for administration (everything) and so on.  Think of the savings.  We'll have to have a runway on the roof to accomodate our Air Force, and it will need all year water access to accomodate our Navy, and of course, a patch of grass out back to accomodate our Army.

Don't get too smart about it, that's basically what they are doing with CFS St. John's right now :p

I look forward to watching this debate unfold, I'm on the fence (about dining halls, not drinking messes).

DCRabbit said:
I don't get something here. The article states these new 2 facilities are to the replace the 4 facilities already there. Okay.. two new bigger messes to replace 4.. consolidation is cheaper and all that. But then the article states that of the existing 4 facilites, 2 will remain as messes. So you still have 4.  Huh? What obvious thing am I missing here?

Currently yes there are 4 dining messes here.  2 mess hall, and dining facilities attached to the Senior NCO mess and Officers Mess.  The Senior NCO mess is no longer used as a dining facility as they joined the officers mess for meals only.  The  officers dining mess will close when the 2 new facilities are completed but the 3 drinking messes will remain open.

ballz said:
Don't get too smart about it, that's basically what they are doing with CFS St. John's right now :p

I look forward to watching this debate unfold, I'm on the fence (about dining halls, not drinking messes).

Dining hall has been like that for the last 12 years and longer....

Technoviking said:
As an officer, and as a former Jr. Rank, Jr. NCO and Sr. NCO, if I wanted to eat my meals with Ptes and Cpls, I would relinquish my commission.  There is a time and place for everything, and even the boss needs to be able to let his (or her) hair down.  Likewise, as a Jr Rank, I liked being able to "party hard" without my bosses seeing my shenanigans.
Could the term "single location" mean "same building, different areas"?

I think TV is concerned thius will affect the amount of cake he gets to eat!  ;D

The last time I was in Borden was about ten years ago- but the Junior Ranks dining hall and the mess were crapholes. If they havent been upgraded since then they probably should be.

Would this single location be like Wainwright when WATC is running 11 courses and the line up goes outside the DFAC itself? Totally inefficient for Instructors and people  on IR. For the first time in my career I just cut to the front of the line because I will not wait 45 minutes in line with my candidates and I'm not interested in keeping Subway in business in downtown Wainwright. By the way the world didn't either because of my actions!

I wondered about wait times and feeding large numbers when I first read this. Without seeing the specs, all we can do is speculate, but surely there would be several meal lines and perhaps staggered hours for different organizations. You still need to put people past a point, say where they enter the serving area, and then headed for a seat at a fairly good rate. Breakfast and lunch, it seems to me, will be the critical meals because of parade timings.

Can someone with some experience here join in?

Back