• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

U.K. General Election, 4 Jul 2024

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Election's coming up in the U.K.

Well this is a surprise but then Brit politics is full of them

Has any high profile cabinet minister been caught dressing like Little Bo Peep? Oh I forgot that's quite acceptable and cool now..... ;)

I'd love to see some old guy dressed like that in Parliament....

Last edited:
It would be hard to make up stuff like this ;)

Captain of the Sinking Ship: Sunak's Titanic Mistake in Belfast​

In this video, we analyze the controversial start to PM Rishi Sunak's re-election tour across the UK. The first major stop in Belfast has been met with severe criticism, with some describing it as akin to a clown running through a minefield. Adding to the dramatic imagery, Sunak's visit was set against the backdrop of the Titanic Museum, leading many to draw comparisons to a captain steering a sinking ship. What does this mean for the rest of the election campaign? Watch to find out!

Sunak has chosen to make national service into an election issue. He appears to be doomed regardless of his platform, but reading this reminded of Sir Humphrey Appleby: '"Controversial" only means "this will lose you votes". "Courageous" means "this will lose you the election"!'

Well this is a surprise but then Brit politics is full of them

Has any high profile cabinet minister been caught dressing like Little Bo Peep? Oh I forgot that's quite acceptable and cool now..... ;)

I'd love to see some old guy dressed like that in Parliament....
I have a website a friend told me about that might have just what you're looking for... 🤷‍♂️😉

Desperately grasping at any straw that might change things.

View attachment 85506

It's all quite bizarre, of course... and they're trying to soften the blow by emphasizing that it's about community service and not neccessarily military service.

The big deal breaker IMHO is that it will be forced by law.

There are long, bad, memories amongst most older British people about National Service, which finally ended in 1962. It was fun to watch someone wax lyrical about the benefits, in hindsight, only to be shot down in flames by another person with stories about starving, poorly equipped and led 'cattle fodder' being brassed up by Cypriot (et al) terrorists...

I can't wait to see the Insta posts from terrified new immigrants, recently escaped from totalitarian regimes, being dragged off in cuffs for their 'community service' ;)

The Conservatives have set out a plan to require 18-year-olds take part in a form of national service if the party wins the general election on 4 July.

Rishi Sunak said the scheme would promote a "shared sense of purpose among our young people and a renewed sense of pride in our country".

Labour has labelled the plan a "gimmick" and other parties have criticised the government for its record on cutting troop numbers.

However, there is still much we do not know about how it would work.

Here is the detail we have so far.

If I didn't know any better I'd swear that the same people behind the Canadian provincial conservatives election campaign had hopped the pond.
I guess if you really want to screw yourselves over. It helps to have experienced experts.

The strain is showing...

Sunak struggles to control Tory party on chaotic fifth day of election campaign​

Prime minister campaigns in Buckinghamshire as his military service plan is criticised and MP defects to Reform

Rishi Sunak struggled to keep control of his fractured party on a chaotic fifth day of the Tory election campaign, as one MP defected to Reform and a minister criticised the prime minister’s pledge to bring back national service.

Sunak was in Buckinghamshire as he sought to get back on the front foot after a bruising start to the snap election, with Tory insiders increasingly worried about his strategy and performance.

Sunak found himself under fire early on Monday, as Steve Baker, a Northern Ireland minister, said introducing mandatory national service was a policy dreamed up by advisers and sprung on candidates.

It later emerged that Baker, who is defending the Labour target of Wycombe, had chosen to go on holiday to Greece rather than stay on the campaign trail – after Sunak previously told MPs they should go ahead and book time off.

The prime minister was then hit with the defection of Lucy Allan, the Conservative MP for Telford, who said she would support the local candidate for Reform. The party suspended the whip, but she hit back saying she had quit first and that the Conservatives had no chance in her seat, according to the Shropshire Star.

Sunak’s woes increased further when Zac Goldsmith, the Conservative peer and former minister who resigned over his unhappiness with Sunak’s lack of commitment to the environment, accused him of having “damaged the party almost beyond repair”.

“The hope is that when Sunak disappears off to California in a few weeks there are at least some decent MPs left around which to rebuild,” Goldsmith said.

Appearing in Amersham, where the Tories lost a byelection to the Lib Dems last year, Sunak ignored questions about the defection and criticism from Baker. He did, however, angrily respond to Goldsmith for predicting he would move to the US if the Conservatives lost the election, pledging to stay on and serve a full term as an MP.

Back