• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Army no longer to have an Air Assault Division

VinceW

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
The 101st Airborne Division is disbanding one of it's two Combat Aviation Brigades the 159th CAB meaning that it will no longer be an Air Assault unit but will only be Light Infantry unless they're planning to make them another Jump Division which they haven't said yet.
This move is only being done because of the budget cuts and not out of necessity with the US Army having to make more cuts up to 50,000 more this might be the beginning of disbanding the entire 101st Airborne Division.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/11/20/army-moves-to-shut-down-159th-combat-aviation-brigade.html?comp=1198882887570&rank=1

No where in the article did it say the 101st was losing it's designation/status as a Air Assault Division or hinting that the division will be disbanded. As well, with a shrinking budget, the 101st will not go back on jump status(hasn't been since the late '60s/early'70s).

LightFighter said:
No where in the article did it say the 101st was losing it's designation/status as a Air Assault Division or hinting that the division will be disbanded. As well, with a shrinking budget, the 101st will not go back on jump status(hasn't been since the late '60s/early'70s).

Would they not be an Air Assault unit anymore if they're losing half their helicopters?
It took the entire Divisions Utility Helicopters from both CAB's to move one Manuever Brigade at a time now they have the same ORBAT as the 10th Mountain Division and the 82nd Airborne.

I was speculating that might be the next move in cutting personal from the US Army.

One aviation brigade can lift an infantry brigade.If the need arose an aviation brigade from the USAR or National Guard could be attached to the division.When I joined the Army the 101st just had one brigade on jump status.Later on due to budget constraints that brigade went off jump status.We didnt lose the infantry unit,just its manner of delivery into combat.

tomahawk6 said:
One aviation brigade can lift an infantry brigade.If the need arose an aviation brigade from the USAR or National Guard could be attached to the division.When I joined the Army the 101st just had one brigade on jump status.Later on due to budget constraints that brigade went off jump status.We didnt lose the infantry unit,just its manner of delivery into combat.

That's not what I've read the 101st needs 90 UH-60's and 32 CH-47's to move a now 3 from 2 Infantry Battalion Brigade and now they'll only have in one Combat Aviation Brigade 30 UH-60's and 12 CH-47's which could only move around a Battalion battle group.
It might be that the 101st is still trained in Air Assault operations but unless they can get the additional airlift as of today they aren't at full strength.

Vince,

You might want to give Tomahawk6 the respect he deserves when it comes to matters pertaining to the US Army.  Been There Done That applies.

Regards.

I am not going to get into specifics but I have seen an avaition company lift a light infantry battalion - not all at once,basically an aviation company composed of blackhawks can lift an infantry company.In addition to organic lift the 101st could be moved with an 18Abn Corps CAB or other assets located in theater.A CAB has around 120 aircraft consisting of OH-58's,Apache's,blackhawks and Chinooks.

tomahawk6 said:
I am not going to get into specifics but I have seen an avaition company lift a light infantry battalion - not all at once,basically an aviation company composed of blackhawks can lift an infantry company.In addition to organic lift the 101st could be moved with an 18Abn Corps CAB or other assets located in theater.A CAB has around 120 aircraft consisting of OH-58's,Apache's,blackhawks and Chinooks.

However that said with loosing so many helicopters, how would that impact them operationally? how much longer now would it take to get those troops into a LZ with less helicopters for the same amount of troops

Organic lift IMO is sufficient to conduct brigade size or smaller air assault missions.If you need to lift 2 brigades then Corps assets would be added to the mix.

The 101st CAB, under the new full spectrum model, should possess 30 Blackhawks in the Assault Battalion and 12 Chinooks in the General Aviation Battalion.  That's a lot of lift, even considering that aviation is never really at 100% birds flying - the Chinooks alone can move most of the F echelon of a Battalion.

tomahawk6 said:

Christmas is just around the corner... do you mind of I copy your note and paste it into my letter to Santa?  ;D

daftandbarmy said:
Christmas is just around the corner... do you mind of I copy your note and paste it into my letter to Santa?  ;D

Go ahead but you should cc the PM as well. :christmas happy:

Back