• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Election: 2016

So asking to name Obama's policies is at best a red herring.

Suit yourself, I was genuinely curious as you made that statement like that is something in particular you look for. I was honestly wondering how you would classify the policy of the current administration. Other than a very broad "nationalist" or "isolationist" I wouldn't know how to classify any recent President's policy, nor any candidate's.

Believe it or not, I was trying to learn something.

I always just assumed (reinforced by observation) that regardless of campaign statements, each situation is looked at uniquely, and dealt with after counsel with trusted advisers and depending on goals and current climate.

The conservative folks like myself, are pretty ticked off with the likes of McConnell and Ryan.There were majorities in both houses and not once did they try to stop Obama's policy initiatives.This is why Trump has been able to put together a broad coalition.He defeated 16 well known Republicans he wouldnt have gotten that far if the Republican leadership had done what they were elected to do.

muskrat89 said:
Suit yourself, I was genuinely curious as you made that statement like that is something in particular you look for. I was honestly wondering how you would classify the policy of the current administration. Other than a very broad "nationalist" or "isolationist" I wouldn't know how to classify any recent President's policy, nor any candidate's.

Believe it or not, I was trying to learn something.

I always just assumed (reinforced by observation) that regardless of campaign statements, each situation is looked at uniquely, and dealt with after counsel with trusted advisers and depending on goals and current climate.

My apologies, I misinterpreted your comment.

In all honesty, Obama has been a bit of an enigma in trying to understand what he wants or where he wants to go with policy.

In my opinion he's been very nuanced (to his detriment) on his approach to foreign policy. He's not interventionist, but he has been willing to use US power when it's been necessary, or opportunistic. But his preference seems to be to use diplomatic routes rather than saber rattling. To most it may be taken as weakness, but it's more so a failure in getting the message out in a meaningful way.

It's even more problematic when you look at the domestic agenda. Because of the obstructionist stance that the GOP has taken for his entire presidency any agenda he has gets lost in the noise of partisanship. To the point where good acceptable policy agendas such as investment in infrastructure renewal don't stand a chance, even though it's something that really should have gotten through on bipartisan support. We only just got a transportation bill passed this year that puts investment into the transportation infrastructure which politicians from both sides have been calling for. And it's been a policy issue for most of Obama's 8 years, and came to a partisan head in the 2012 and 2014 election periods. (That's what "You didn't build that" was really all about).

Policies and agendas are what candidates need to be judged against. And what they are evaluated on once they are elected. Obama for the most part (again in my opinion) had a reasonable agenda in both 2008 and 2012, but failed for multiple reasons to deliver. Blame falls on the GOP for following an obstructionist script, The Dems for using the same playbook to suit their own purposes, and Obama for not finding ways to working with the GOP rather than going it alone to get what he wanted done. His signature policy success of teh Affordable Care Act fell short of the mark for exactly that reason.

Hope that answers your question, and again I apologize for missing your sincere inquiry.  :salute:

tomahawk6 said:
The conservative folks like myself, are pretty ticked off with the likes of McConnell and Ryan.There were majorities in both houses and not once did they try to stop Obama's policy initiatives.This is why Trump has been able to put together a broad coalition.He defeated 16 well known Republicans he wouldnt have gotten that far if the Republican leadership had done what they were elected to do.

But don't forget, if a party doesn't have a 60 seat majority in the Senate, no way no how is anything going to get through without support from the opposition, regardless of the size of the majority in the House. The GOP played that role from 2009 to 2011. The Dems played that role since.

And I blame the anger that the electorate has today on that issue. But try explaining that the problem is the people they are voting in. Surveys continually show that people are strongly dissatisfied with Congress and the way things have gone, but when asked how they feel about their own representative they respond that he/she is doing a terrific, yuge, wonderful, fantastic (fill in your own Trumpism here) job.

A better idea of how problematic Trump's nomination is for the GOP.

Trump 'racism' frenzy engulfs Hill Republicans
This is not the debate elected Republicans wanted to have.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/trump-house-republicans-racism-224000

Paul Ryan wanted to talk about fighting poverty. What he got instead, at the kickoff of his much-touted policy agenda on Tuesday, was a barrage of questions about whether Donald Trump is a racist — and whether the House speaker regretted having endorsed the business mogul.

It was that kind of day for Republicans on Capitol Hill.

The furor surrounding Trump's accusations that a federal judge may be biased against him because of his Mexican roots swamped everything. House members and senators spent the day fielding questions about Trump’s remarks — and struggling to square their support for the presumptive nominee with rhetoric seen as increasingly toxic to their own chances of political survival this fall. Or, in the case of endangered Sen. Mark Kirk (R-Ill.), ditching Trump altogether.

By the end of the day, Trump had issued a new statement blaming the media for his problems, without apologizing to the Indiana-born federal judge, Gonzalo Curiel, who is presiding over lawsuits against Trump University. Trump then declared he was done commenting on the matter.

But the damage was already done.

Kirk's statement could hardly have been more pointed had it been written by a Democrat.

"I have spent my life building bridges and tearing down barriers — not building walls. That's why I find Donald Trump's belief that an American-born judge of Mexican descent is incapable of fairly presiding over his case is not only dead wrong, it is un-American," the first-term senator said. "After much consideration, I have concluded that Donald Trump has not demonstrated the temperament necessary to assume the greatest office in the world."

Kirk later told reporters that he would write in former Gen. David Petraeus as his choice for president.

It was a stunning repudiation of the party's nominee by a sitting senator, and one that shows just how much of a liability some in the GOP believe Trump has become. These denizens of the "Republican establishment" were raised on the idea of party unity and loyalty: You back your guy no matter what. But Trump is straining that loyalty to the breaking point for many Republicans, and beyond for some.
Most Republicans stuck to the line Ryan used — that what Trump said about Curiel is racist and he should apologize.

"Claiming a person can't do their job because of their race is sort of like the textbook definition of a racist comment," Ryan said during a news conference to unveil the new Republican anti-poverty plan. "If you say something that's wrong, I think the mature and responsible thing is to acknowledge it."

Ryan's aides were clearly showing the strain of the Trump frenzy and blamed the media for the controversy, not Trump. "Way to go reporters: first question at a poverty forum: Trump. Slow clap," AshLee Strong, Ryan's spokeswoman, wrote on Twitter.

But then a Trump surrogate bizarrely accused Ryan of being a racist himself, a perfect example of the circus that surrounds the Republican nominee.

“Speaker Ryan has apparently switched positions and is now supporting identity politics, which is racist. I mean, I am astonished, astonished,” said Jeffrey Lord, a former Reagan White House official, during an appearance on CNN. “I am accusing anybody, anybody, who believes in identity politics, which he apparently now does, of playing the race card. The Republican establishment is playing this. Sen. [Mitch] McConnell is playing this. These people have run and hid and borrowed the Democratic agenda of playing the race card."
Some Republicans, including Ryan, employed the "Trump is still better than Hillary Clinton" defense. Several asserted that Trump "isn't racist in his heart" line or variations on that theme. Still others refused to comment or grew angry when pressed to comment on the GOP presidential hopeful.

McConnell was asked every which way about Trump’s comments at his weekly Q&A with reporters, as his leadership team tried in vain to talk about national security and a defense bill pending on the Senate floor. The Kentucky Republican faced not a single question about his plans to pass annual spending bills or to overhaul the Senate and make it a better-functioning body.

“You know, I was asked over the course of the last week on numerous occasions to express myself on utterances of the nominee. And I have done that,” McConnell said in response to the first question, repeating himself several times and chiding reporters that they haven’t been “paying attention.”

Asked about Trump a fourth time, McConnell conceded he is “worried” about alienating Latino voters this year, as Barry Goldwater did with black voters a half-century ago, and he urged Trump to “get on message.” As in immediately.

“There are a lot of issues that we ought to be talking about and our nominee ought to be talking about,” McConnell said. “The condition of the economy, the implementation of Obamacare. We have plenty of issues. My advice to our nominee would be to start talking about the issues that the American people care about and to start doing it now.”

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), who was walking to the Senate floor to give a speech on national security and recent devastating floods in Texas, would offer nothing new about Trump, who he called “terrific” six months ago and a “pathological liar” in May.

“I don’t have anything else to say about Donald Trump,” Cruz said when asked if he will endorse the mogul. Cruz then repeated himself, in case it wasn't clear the first time. "I don’t have anything else to say about Donald Trump."

Similarly, Cruz's Texas colleague said he's had it with Trump talk — even though he’s one of the most powerful Republicans in Congress and Election Day is still five months away.

“I’m not going to talk about Trump. Like I said, you guys can talk about it. Doesn’t mean I have to,” Majority Whip John Cornyn declared.
Then there was Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.), who's also facing a grueling reelection battle. Eager to talk policy, he invited reporters to an informal session to discuss his proposal in a defense bill that would mandate background checks for those who work with children in Pentagon-operated schools — a push meant to protect kids from potential sexual abuse.

After a couple of questions about the idea, the conversation quickly pivoted to Trump. Toomey was asked about Trump’s comments on Curiel, whether the senator could still support the presumptive nominee, and whether Trump would have an impact on his own race. One reporter noted that Toomey seemed frustrated by all the Trump-related questions.

“Well, we’ve spent how much time now talking about the issues that have nothing to do with the work that I’ve done in the Senate, what I’m trying to accomplish in the Senate?” Toomey responded. “So I would rather be focused on how we can make sure that kids go to school in the safest possible environment and we’re talking about other things. That is a little frustrating.”

One Republican strayed from the Ryan-McConnell line with disastrous results.

Rep. Lee Zeldin (R-N.Y.) went on CNN to discuss Trump and ended up calling President Barack Obama a racist. "You can easily argue the president of the United States is a racist with his policies and rhetoric," Zeldin claimed. Zeldin later added that "my purpose here isn't to just go through the list and call everyone a racist."

When asked later for details on Obama's allegedy racist policies or rhetoric, Zeldin apologized to Obama.
"I abhor racism in any form and it has no place in our country," Zeldin said in a statement. "I was disappointed and disagree with Donald Trump's statement."

Zeldin added: "With that being said, I apologize to anyone who interpreted my comments as calling the president a racist. I am not calling the president a racist.”

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), an unabashed Trump critic, said the issue isn't so much Trump as the future of the GOP. Backing Trump just because he's the Republican nominee doesn't cut it, Graham said.

"There are a lot of people who want to be loyal to the Republican Party, including me," Graham told MSNBC. "But there'll come a point in time where we're gonna have to understand that it's not just about the 2016 race, it's about the future of the party. And I would like to support our nominee; I just can't."

I'm listening to Trump's victory speech from tonight's primaries and he sounds almost reasonable.

It is a prepared speech being read off the teleprompter, so obviously he's been coached and advised to tone down the rhetoric.

He's even starting to sound like he has started putting together policies and a reasonable agenda.

And you have to love how the mainstream media there their crust shorts in Hillary's cornflakes.

It's not like this is a big surprise, as it was pretty much a given since the end of the 2008 primary that she would be the next Democratic Party nominee.

But the Dem establishment and Sanders Campaign are both twisting their shorts in a knot, for opposite reasons. :facepalm:

Clinton's spoiled victory party
Tuesday was supposed to be the crowning moment. Then the media ruined it.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/hillary-clinton-media-2016-223999

Hillary Clinton has held 419 events since launching her campaign last year, visited 42 states and announced 53 distinct policy proposals.

But she’s been short on creating big, memorable “moments” as she criss-crossed the country participating in sober roundtable discussions and scripted rallies.

Tuesday night was supposed to be that big, crowning moment when she declared victory over her rival Bernie Sanders — until the Associated Press stole Clinton's thunder by calling her the presumptive nominee Monday evening, a day earlier than the campaign had planned.

The drama of a historic victory rally at the Brooklyn Navy Yard on the night when Clinton was set to clinch the nomination — a triumphant celebration in her adopted home state, walking distance from her campaign headquarters, eight years to the day after she delivered her famous “glass ceiling” speech conceding to Barack Obama — was suddenly deflated, without a spoiler alert.

In some sense, it was a problem in paradise — whether the race was called Monday or Tuesday, when she was previously expected to have the secured the backing of 2,383 delegates, Clinton is set to make history as the first female nominee of a major party. Some Democrats interpreted the call as a possibly helpful distraction from a tightening California contest that could potentially embarrass Clinton if it ends in a loss.

But campaign officials said they were furious that the AP stepped on their big moment, venting that “Tuesday should be the night.” And the news break didn’t help with the most important message between now and the Democratic National Convention in July: party unity.
“The AP's early call in the presidential race probably isn't how the Clinton campaign wanted to wrap this up,” said Democratic strategist Lis Smith, a former senior campaign aide to former Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley. “It feeds into Sanders' supporters' belief that the game is rigged, and the Sanders campaign is certainly out there stoking that sentiment right now.”

Indeed, the early results angered some of Sanders’ most high-profile surrogates who interpreted it as the establishment backing the establishment.

“SHAME ON YOU @AP,” tweeted actress Shailene Woodley. “Superdelegates don’t vote until July 25. U are feeding false narratives to suppress the American people. Democracy? WHERE.”

Incensed, Woodley added: “if @POTUS endorses #HRC after this @AP shit, he’ll lose any & all credibility as a man w integrity. This is intentional devastating propaganda.”

And it only fueled the festering resentment between the two warring factions of the Democratic party at a time when Clinton is seeking to bring Sanders' backers into the fold. Clinton’s former top policy aide Neera Tanden responded to Woodley online: “just like being lead actor in the Divergent series would make u lose any & all credibility (sorry, I couldn’t help it).”

The Sanders campaign also instigated its supporters not to accept the early call.

“Secretary Clinton does not have and will not have the requisite number of pledged delegates to secure the nomination,” said Sanders spokesman Michael Briggs. “She will be dependent on superdelegates who do not vote until July 25 and who can change their minds between now and then.”

The fear for Clinton, Democrats said, was that the earlier-than-expected results could also discourage complacent California voters from turning out Tuesday — and a loss for Clinton in the most populous state would diminish her history-making victory.

Clinton campaign officials sought to downplay the AP announcement, even as it ran as a banner headline on the front pages of the New York Times and the Washington Post. “We’re going to have a nominee tomorrow,” campaign manager Robby Mook stressed on CNN Tuesday morning. "All these races are competitive. You know, we're never exactly sure what's going to happen.”

In a statement Monday night, he also cautioned that “there are six states that are voting Tuesday...we look forward to Tuesday night, when Hillary Clinton will clinch not only a win in the popular vote, but also the majority of pledged delegates.”

But the Clinton campaign also sent mixed messages, both embracing and downplaying the victory. It blasted out the AP's breaking news headline to supporters via text, while also noting "this primary isn't (quite) over."

Clinton officials said Tuesday that the call would not alter their victory night plans. “Our approach today is the same as it was yesterday before the AP projected the race for Hillary Clinton,” said Clinton spokesman Brian Fallon. “We are going to turn out as many votes as we can in the six states voting today, clinch the majority of pledged delegates, and then look forward to making some history.”

But some pollsters said the AP's announcement could have a marginal effect on turnout in California. “There could be some impact, particularly on the West Coast, because presumptive nominee was added to the Democratic lexicon last night,” said Lee Miringoff, director of the Marist Institute for Public Polling. “It could get some Sanders people upset, or make Clinton people complacent. It adds something to the chemistry of tonight.”

Attachments

• 1919230_882519838523386_723390782754371733_n.jpg
    1919230_882519838523386_723390782754371733_n.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 107
I admit that I found it rather ironic that Mrs Clinton recently gave a speech focusing on wealth inequality while wearing a $12000 jacket.  :facepalm:

cupper said:
Blame falls on the GOP for following an obstructionist script, The Dems for using the same playbook to suit their own purposes, and Obama for not finding ways to working with the GOP rather than going it alone to get what he wanted done.

Congress is elected to legislate and the president is elected to administer.  While Obama could have chosen which hill to die on, he chose to die on every hill.  The president isn't the boss that a compliant Congress must follow.  They are equals and 43 other presidents passed legislation through compromise.

Clinton clinches the nomination for the Democratic Party's nomination:

Yahoo News

Obama phones Clinton and Sanders, praises her ‘historic’ run
Olivier Knox
Chief Washington Correspondent
June 7, 2016

Leaping into his role as Democratic peacemaker, President Obama telephoned his party’s presumptive nominee, Hillary Clinton, and her defeated rival, Bernie Sanders, late on Tuesday, the White House said.

In separate calls, Obama congratulated Clinton “for securing the delegates necessary to clinch the Democratic nomination for president,” press secretary Josh Earnest said in a statement.

“Her historic campaign inspired millions and is an extension of her lifelong fight for middle-class families and children,” Earnest said.

Obama thanked Sanders “for energizing millions of Americans with his commitment to issues like fighting economic inequality and special interests’ influence on our politics,” according to the statement.

(...SNIPPED)

Is this really something that Trump would want to emphasize? But then again, nothing else seems to have stopped him so far...

Vancouver Sun

He paid me a fortune’: Donald Trump says he made ‘a lot of money’ in deal with Moammar Gadhafi

Jill Colvin, The Associated Press  06.05.2016

JERSEY CITY, N.J. — Donald Trump says he made “a lot of money” in a deal years ago with Moammar Gadhafi, despite suggesting at the time he had no idea the former Libyan dictator was involved in renting his suburban New York estate.

“Don’t forget, I’m the only one. I made a lot of money with Gadhafi, if you remember,” Trump said in an interview with CBS’ “Face the Nation” that aired Sunday. “He came to the country, and he had to make a deal with me because he needed a place to stay.”

“He paid me a fortune. Never got to stay there,” Trump said. “And it became sort of a big joke.”

The presumptive Republican nominee was talking about a bizarre incident in 2009, when Gadhafi was in desperate search of a place to pitch his Bedouin-style tent during a visit to New York for a meeting of the U.N. General Assembly.

(...SNIPPED)

The tip of the iceberg of the groups of women who don't like Hillary?

Associated Press

3 women to launch super PAC to support Donald Trump
[Julie Bykowicz, The Associated Press]
Julie Bykowicz, The Associated Press
June 8, 2016

WASHINGTON - Three of Donald Trump's female supporters will announce on Thursday a new super political action committee to help the presumptive Republican presidential nominee.

The group calls itself Women Vote Trump and aims to raise at least $30 million, according to its founders, Kathryn Serkes, Ann Stone and Amy Kremer.

"There are so many ad hoc groups of women who back Trump, and what we want to do is harness their energy and give them a home," Serkes said.

(...SNIPPED)

I can see Obama giving Sanders a leg up by allowing Hillary to be prosecuted for her unauthorized email server.The convention then would dump Hillary and Bernie would be a better candidate vs Trump.

Nah...ain't gonna happen.....she's got the numbers and they are good to go with that...

So then the media lines for the Republicans should now turn to:

How can you trust her with state secrets after the email server incident?

How can you trust her with the lives of our diplomats and soldiers after Benghazi?

ModlrMike said:
So then the media lines for the Republicans should now turn to:

How can you trust her with state secrets after the email server incident?

How can you trust her with the lives of our diplomats and soldiers after Benghazi?
...when she's demanding a male intern and a box of cigars...    ;D

Journeyman said:
...when she's demanding a male intern and a box of cigars...    ;D

Well, fair is fair.....

Sanders....give him all the shitty gigs.....

GAP said:
Sanders....give him all the shitty gigs.....
A heartbeat away from the number one job... and Clinton's health has been questioned a lot of late  [:(

Back