• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Election: 2016

Dems are already planning for the post election and looking to try and work with the GOP in congress.

Dem senators to Clinton: Stick with Garland
Renominating the judge could help Clinton preserve valuable political capital if she wins the presidency.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/hillary-clinton-merrick-garland-nomination-226967

Top Senate Democrats are pushing Hillary Clinton to renominate Merrick Garland for the Supreme Court, a move party strategists argue would give her an early advantage against Republicans if she wins the presidency.

They're not waiting until Election Day — or a lame-duck session of Congress — to define the first major decision of a Clinton presidency.

“In her first 100 days, does she want a Supreme Court fight?” asked a senior Democratic aide.
The calls follow months of chatter among Democrats on both sides of Pennsylvania Avenue that Clinton’s smartest political play if she takes the White House would be, essentially, calling the Republicans bluff: they’ve praised Garland, but insisted on a principle that President Barack Obama shouldn’t get to put anyone on the high court in his final year in office.

By sticking with Garland, the thinking goes, Clinton would save herself some of the political capital inherent in making a court nomination, as well as the stress on what would be a brand new White House staff to vet nominee and promote them on the Hill and in the media.

“He’s somebody who the voters clearly think should be confirmed and has the kind of resonating background that would be broadly appealing to voters,” said Geoff Garin, a prominent Democratic pollster. “There are obvious advantages but presidents also like to have the opportunity to make their own choices as well.”
Some Democrats have even mulled the possibility that, if Democrats retake control of the Senate in November, they might move on Garland in the two weeks after the new Senate is in session but before Inauguration Day. That might take on more steam if, despite recent polls showing him far behind, Donald Trump is elected president.

But renominating Garland would mean that Clinton, who’s already running the 2016 campaign as more of an extension of Obama than she ever planned, would have to make one of her first and most significant decisions as president a direct extension of his presidency, long after he’s settled into his new home in Washington's Kalorama neighborhood. It also could cause an instant letdown on the left, which has long been skeptical of Clinton's liberal credentials and may want a pure progressive choice.

“Yes. I would recommend it. I think he’s an extraordinary judge who has a highly, well-qualified rating from the bar associations,” said Senate Minority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), joining outgoing Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, who Thursday expressed his support for the renomination in a conference call with reporters.
Durbin and Reid are not alone among Senate Democrats spoiling to give Garland another shot under a new Democratic president. Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) supports renominating Garland, an aide said, as does Sen. Chris Coons (D-Del.). Both are members of the Judiciary Committee.

“I think she should strongly consider renominating him,” said Coons, in an interview late last month during the Democratic convention.

Coons, who said he was still optimistic about the lame duck, warned his Republican colleagues that they shouldn’t let it get to the point when they risk a President Clinton, fresh in office, nominating a younger and more progressive judge.

“He’s somebody who the voters clearly think should be confirmed,” said a prominent Democratic pollster.

Reid went further than anyone else on Thursday, professing not only hope that Garland is selected by Clinton but also predicting that the Democratic presidential nominee would choose Garland in an effort not to “rock the boat” upon assuming the presidency.

Incoming Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer, speaking late last month, argued that “the odds of Merrick Garland getting on the court and getting on the court sooner rather than later are higher than you would think.”

But Schumer ducked on whether he thinks Clinton should renominate him.
“I’m not going to judge what she should do,” he said.

Democrats are confident that if Garland received a vote next year he would breeze through the Judiciary Committee and break a filibuster on the Senate floor with support of moderate Republicans and GOP lawmakers who still believe in some deference to the president. Garland already has two GOP senators publicly asking to bring him up for a vote and is likely to find himself increasingly popular among Republicans if Trump continues his sharp slide in the polls.

Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) told NBC”s Chuck Todd that Republicans could be “hoisted on their own petard” by ignoring Garland because Clinton may choose someone far more liberal.

“I very much want Judge Garland to be brought up before the full Senate,” Collins told Todd this week. “It would be the height of irony if Hillary wins and asked President Obama to withdraw the nomination so that she can make her own choice, which almost certainly would result in a much more liberal nomination.”
Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) has already said that GOP leaders should consider confirming Garland if it appears that their party is going to lose the election. Sen. Mark Kirk (R-Ill.), who’s trying to hold on to his seat this year, has argued for hearing and said he’d consider supporting Garland

The prospect of Clinton going with a new nominee presents other concerns for Democrats. Moderate Democrats like Joe Manchin of West Virginia were already noncommittal about Garland—a more liberal nominee could bleed centrist support. Five Democrats representing red states are up for reelection in 2018, with their voting records under intense scrutiny in what’s already looking like it will be a very difficult year for the party.

Aides to several more liberal senators said their bosses aren’t wedded to Garland, and are deferential to Clinton. During his presidential run, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) said he would withdraw Garland’s nomination as president if the spot remained open, though he often blasted Republicans for blockading Garland as Obama’s choice. Now Michael Briggs, a spokesman for Sanders, said simply: “I'm sure he'd be far preferable to any Trump nominee.”

Sanders “had said he would pick someone different. But it's not going to be his choice,” Briggs said.

As Democrats repeat their current mantra that somehow McConnell will break and confirm Garland this year, Republicans say that by pressing Garland to be renominated, Democrats are effectively waving the white flag for 2016.

“It’s nice that Sen. Reid is reversing himself and no longer claiming that a SCOTUS nominee will be confirmed this year,” said a senior Republican staffer.

The White House has maintained the same position from the beginning: it’s ridiculous that Senate Republicans are engaged in obstructing a Supreme Court nominee, and that the confirmation should come immediately, regardless of the election or other considerations.

Clinton press secretary Brian Fallon declined comment on what she might do as president, but pointed to past statements calling Garland "a brilliant jurist" and saying Republicans have no reason not to confirm him.
But Garland backers have welcomed the swell of support after the Democratic National Convention rolled through Philadelphia with nary a mention of the party’s Supreme Court pick.

“This is obviously promising news for the Merrick Garland camp,” said a Democratic strategist working the confirmation. “If there was ever a lingering sense that he should be tossed to the side should Democrats win in November, this now sends a strong signal that the Senate Democratic leadership will be standing by him.”
The strategist added, “This mostly adds to the inevitability that Garland will be on the Supreme Court—further exposing the Republican stalling tactic for what it is: a joke.”

Now we know why Trump is running for President. He's afraid of roasting in the here after. What a pussy.  ;D

Trump predicts winning the presidency will get him into heaven

http://www.politico.com/video/2016/08/trump-predicts-winning-the-presidency-will-get-him-into-heaven-060323

I fail to see why everyone is getting excited about what Trump says. Clinton hasn't told the truth since she could talk. She says outlandish stuff also. So we have two people that don't tell the truth.

Now, on top of all that, we have Clinton creating one of the biggest intelligence leaks ever in the US. We have Clinton, who has been acting physically unwell for awhile because of head injuries. Loretta Lynn, the AG, who worked for the Clinton's tax lawyers, has moved to suppress Clinton's emails until 2018. She's ignoring requests from the FBI to open investigations of the Clinton Foundation. Comey was appointed Director of HSBC Holdings in March, 2013. HSBC was tied to the Clinton Foundation and ended up paying over a 1 billion dollar fine. He also refused to press charges on Clinton. I could keep going, but it won't matter.

Yes, Trump is a horrible orator that sometimes inflates his facts, but that's all he is. A business man that needs a handler. That's the fault he has in this.

Clinton is an entitled criminal, who places herself above the law. Her husband's time as POTUS is marked by the almost daily scandals that rocked the White House. She traumatized a 12 years old rape victim and got her animal off. Whitewater and the White House travel employee scandal. It never stops with her.

Yes Trump is out of his league, but I'd still, if the field was two, vote for him.

The other choice is a criminal that is only in it for herself and will sell the United States to the highest bidder. I also can't wait to see what kind of staff she'll have. People around this criminal have a way of turning up dead.

recceguy said:
I fail to see why everyone is getting excited about what Trump says. Clinton hasn't told the truth since she could talk. She says outlandish stuff also. So we have two people that don't tell the truth.

Now, on top of all that, we have Clinton creating one of the biggest intelligence leaks ever in the US. We have Clinton, who has been acting physically unwell for awhile because of head injuries. Loretta Lynn, the AG, who worked for the Clinton's tax lawyers, has moved to suppress Clinton's emails until 2018. She's ignoring requests from the FBI to open investigations of the Clinton Foundation. Comey was appointed Director of HSBC Holdings in March, 2013. HSBC was tied to the Clinton Foundation and ended up paying over a 1 billion dollar fine. He also refused to press charges on Clinton. I could keep going, but it won't matter.

Yes, Trump is a horrible orator that sometimes inflates his facts, but that's all he is. A business man that needs a handler. That's the fault he has in this.

Clinton is an entitled criminal, who places herself above the law. Her husband's time as POTUS is marked by the almost daily scandals that rocked the White House. She traumatized a 12 years old rape victim and got her animal off. Whitewater and the White House travel employee scandal. It never stops with her.

Yes Trump is out of his league, but I'd still, if the field was two, vote for him.

The other choice is a criminal that is only in it for herself and will sell the United States to the highest bidder. I also can't wait to see what kind of staff she'll have. People around this criminal have a way of turning up dead.
Field is three, people should vote johnson.

recceguy said:

Got the facts to back all this up? And I don't expect to see anything that tracks back to Alex Jones or Extreme right wing conspiracy websites which take their evidence from othe nut job websites.

I've never heard Clinton's name connected to any of the following intelligence leaks, all of which did more actual damage to the US than has even been speculated with the Clinton server scandle.

1) The Snowden theft and release of NSA program docs.

2) Aldrich Ames

3) Robert Hannsen

4) Johnathon Pollard

The Fox News trope on Clintons physical health is so bogus that they can't even find a credible medical professional who is willing to go on record that she has medical issues. (At least none that aren't on Fox News payrolls)

Lorretta Lynn is an 84 year old country singer. Lorretta Lynch is the current AG. As for the investigation of the Clinton Foundation, I will reserve comment until more info is available. But you missed a more obvious point to convict her on, having been appointed as a Federal prosecutor by Bill Clinton.

Comey was appointed to the board of directors of HSBC to improve the company's compliance program after its $1.9 billion settlement with the Justice Department for failing to comply with basic due diligence requirements for money laundering regarding Mexican drug cartels and terrorism financing.

As for the tramatization of the rape victim, blame the man that raped her, not the defence lawyer who was appointed to the case and had a legal and an ethical obligation to provide her client with the best defense possible. Just as the victim has said in several interviews since this was brought to light back in 2008.

I do applaud you for not bringing up Benghazi.

As for seeing dead people, I'll leave that one to M. Night Shamalan.

There are much more valid reasons why Clinton is a poor candidate for the Presidency. Her obsessive need to parse comments in lawyer speak makes a lot of what she says fodder for the Right. She is paranoid about the Vast right wing conspiracy, but yet continues to do stupid things that feed the conspiracy machine. She has her husband ('nuff said). Her age. That shrill harpy like voice that is constantly shouting, that reminds people of their mother when they were kids. The inability to connect with people on a personal level. The wonkish inability to explain policy in terms the regular voter can grasp. Her seeming sense of entitlement (personally I'm not convinced that she truely wants the job, but rather feels obligated at this point).

But I still love you, RG.  :-*

As for everyone getting excited about what Trump says, well, the man is the least qualified person in a field of 16 that the GOP had to select from. And on an almost hourly basis he provides evidence of how unfit he is for the office he seeks.

It's telling that the party has now taken to babysitting him at campaign events. Reince Prebius showed up at an event this weekend to squelch rumours of disunity, but in reality was there to keep Trump on message and not do harm for the down ticket candidates.

And you have to question how serious he really is in seeking the position, based on the lack of campaign resources being used.

There is virtually no campaign machine to speak of at the individual state level. Some toss up states only have one campaign office to cover the entire state. And these are critical for him to win if he has even a slight chance of reavching the magic 270.

Since the end of the conventions, the campaign has spent $0 on television advertising. Even the Green Party has spent in the 6 figures on advertising. I got the privilage of seeing Green Party ads for about a week at the end of July. I see Clinton ads periodically on national broadcasts, but her campaign pulled ad money out of Virginia because the pols have her leading by double digits (and I am so grateful not to hear her voice because of it). We're not even seeing SuperPAC ads against Clinton here.

And he has an almost constant fight with the Party over resources, and makes threats to not provide funds from his campaign unless they fall in line with him (rather than he fall in line with the Party).

Again, it's telling that since Paul Ryan finally came out with his reluctant statement of support for the party's nominee, he has had to admonish that same nominee at least once a week over some gaff or inappropriate comment.

I don't necessarily agree with the concept that the choice is binary, Trump or Clinton. There are other options when it comes time to cast a ballot. 3rd party (Libertarian or Green), write in (there are a lot of GOP lawmakers and big names who have said they would go that route) or only cast a vote for the down ballot races. However, in reality any vote other than for Trump or Clinton is a vote in favour of the other the way the system is set up.

And one of the reasons there is a lot of angst resulting in a more vocal anti-Trump drum beat than anti-Clinton is that this didn't need to happen. It could have been easily avoided at every step, but no one took it seriously until it was too late. In a field of 16, Trump was able to hide his true self by using the means of deflection and distraction, especially in the debates. He can't do that in the general election, where it's only him and Hillary. Which is why he's waffling on the debates.

But having said all that, the over riding drive for the concerns about what Trump says is that there is still a chance he could win. And that scares the shit out of a majority of people down here, whether they admit it or not.

As I said in a previous post, this election shows why it is important to look at who is advising the person, either in the campaign or once they are in office. Trump's lack of meaningful experience other than his questionable business sense make the selection of advisors all the more critical. And so far he hasn't shown signs of having picked anything more than yes men he can over rule or ignore.

That, in a coconut nut shell is why everyone is getting excited.

"But having said all that, the over riding drive for the concerns about what Trump says is that there is still a chance he could win. And that scares the crap out of a majority of people down here, whether they admit it or not."

And a number of Canadians also Cupper. Very well written response sir.  :nod: :salute:

But having said all that, the over riding drive for the concerns about what Trump says is that there is still a chance he could win. And that scares the crap out of a majority of people down here, whether they admit it or not.

Without getting into the technicalities of electoral colleges and the election process, or the  definition of "majority" as it pertains to US elections- how would he ever get elected if the "majority of people" are scared of him winning? If your statement is true, sounds like you have nothing to worry about

muskrat89 said:
Without getting into the technicalities of electoral colleges and the election process, or the  definition of "majority" as it pertains to US elections- how would he ever get elected if the "majority of people" are scared of him winning? If your statement is true, sounds like you have nothing to worry about

It comes down to a couple of things. An October surprise that leaves Clinton in a position that Trump becomes competitive. Or more likely the Dem electorate becomes complacent and stays home on election day.

cupper said:
As for everyone getting excited about what Trump says, well, the man is the least qualified person in a field of 16 that the GOP had to select from.

He was the most qualified so he won.  He was not a politician and Republican voters are sick of politicians and their correctspeak.  Experience created Crooked Hillary, the scariest person to ever run for president.

Rocky Mountains said:
He was the most qualified so he won.  He was not a politician and Republican voters are sick of politicians and their correctspeak.  Experience created Crooked Hillary, the scariest person to ever run for president.

If that was the voters criterion for selecting the nominee, explain why Carson and Fiorina didn't do better.

cupper said:
If that was the voters criterion for selecting the nominee, explain why Carson and Fiorina didn't do better.

Primary - black/woman

Secondary - worse than poor speaker/not attractive

I'm on the record as not liking either candidate.

But, I sort of like this plan. 

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/14/politics/donald-trump-isis-fight/index.html

cupper said:

Because voters are tired of the status quo, and are not keen for the elites to fight to the last taxpayer to maintain their privileges and power.

Sanders, Trump and to a lesser extent Garry Johnson and Jill Stein represent a break from the status quo and hold out the possibility of new alignments and new structures which provide pathways for ordinary Americans to grow and flourish. If you actually agree with their programs or even believe that they are willing or capable of doing what they promise is almost beside the point, they made the most compelling case for change, not the status quo.

This isn't confined to the United States, Toronto has its own "Ford Nation", England had the Brexit and may European States are seeing a massive rise in support for Nativist parties (most of whom ironically preach National Socialism as their actual political platform). I believe that if the "elites" push back too hard, the next wave will be far worse than anything we have seen so far. Trump is the logical progression from the TEA Party movement, had their concerns been addressed and Republicans elected under the TEA Party banner actually gone to Washington and done what they were elected to do, there would be no Donald J Trump as candidate. Now stop and think; how will the  hoi polloi react if they feel they and their concerns are thwarted this time?

Thucydides said:
Because voters are tired of the status quo, and are not keen for the elites to fight to the last taxpayer to maintain their privileges and power.

Sanders, Trump and to a lesser extent Garry Johnson and Jill Stein represent a break from the status quo and hold out the possibility of new alignments and new structures which provide pathways for ordinary Americans to grow and flourish. If you actually agree with their programs or even believe that they are willing or capable of doing what they promise is almost beside the point, they made the most compelling case for change, not the status quo.

This isn't confined to the United States, Toronto has its own "Ford Nation", England had the Brexit and may European States are seeing a massive rise in support for Nativist parties (most of whom ironically preach National Socialism as their actual political platform). I believe that if the "elites" push back too hard, the next wave will be far worse than anything we have seen so far. Trump is the logical progression from the TEA Party movement, had their concerns been addressed and Republicans elected under the TEA Party banner actually gone to Washington and done what they were elected to do, there would be no Donald J Trump as candidate. Now stop and think; how will the  hoi polloi react if they feel they and their concerns are thwarted this time?

It's great that the voters are tired of the status quo, but the ones who voted for Trump, potentially the worst candidate in history, are about to get 4 years of Hillary Clinton because of their "rebellion". Seems more like a self inflicted wound than a message, and one that will probably just send the message "no more Trumps!" if the polls hold.

Also- Trump is the epitomy of the entitled rich white guy... they couldn't have found a worse way to "stick it to the man"

Trump alienates another minority/diaspora group in the US with his comments last week.

As I stated in another thread, wherever, Filipinos have immigrated, there is a propensity to serve in the military of the adoptive country. Over Several thousand Filipinos have joined the US Navy since the 1950s and one can see large Filipino-American communities in areas near naval bases in the US such as in San Diego or even Norfolk, Virginia. Their US-born offspring can be found by the thousands in other US services as well.

Thus, it wouldn't be surprising then that US officials from Hawaii, Alaska and Guam, who have substantial number of constituents from this group, would be quick to blast Trump for this.

Inquirer

US senator, 2 Guam officials blast Trump rant on PH and terrorism

INQUIRER.net US Bureau
11:07 PM August 8th, 2016

SAN FRANCISCO – US Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump got slammed by a US senator from Hawaii and Guam delegate to the US Congress as well as a Guam legislator for his suggestion that the United States ban immigrants from a number of countries “including the Philippines,” according to Schatz’s office.

Trump made the statement while campaigning in Portland, Maine.

“Donald Trump’s latest rant suggesting we ban immigration from countries like the Philippines that are helping us fight terrorism is another example of his reckless rhetoric that’s based on fear and division and further proves he is unfit to lead our country,” said Senator Brian Schatz (Dem-Hawai‘i) in a press statement.

“For generations, Filipinos have made the United States their home,” Schatz said.  “It is their vibrant culture, hard work, and strong values that have enriched our communities and made this country great, not the ignorant, racist bigotry of Donald Trump.”
(...SNIPPED)

Back