• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Presidential Election 2024 - Trump vs Harris - Vote Hard with a Vengence

After a day or two in different parts of the US, I notice my accent shifting, yes.

Again, even if it was intentional, I don’t see how that’s a “gotcha”.

Edit to add: It would be a “gotcha” if she was using those accents to denigrate the listener, like putting on a fake East Indian accent to make fun of them. Is she doing
She gets off the plane with her normal accent, then changes when she gets behind the microphone. Back to normal when she steps off stage. You can make whatever statement you want about her. I find her dishonest and shallow. Just because you hate Trump doesn't mean you have to cover for her. She's every bit the liar and storyteller you guys blame Trump for. Everyone knows why she was picked and it wasn't for her smarts, honesty and Presidential bearing. Up to the day before Joe's debacle, they were trying to get rid of her.

She's every bit the liar and storyteller you guys blame Trump for.

Hah! No. No she is not that. Not even close. To top him for rampant and random blatant dishonesty you have to go pretty much full George Santos. Many thousands of his lies have been extensively documented.

Thanks, I appreciate the good laugh as I wrap up my night.

Hah! No. No she is not that. Not even close. To top him for rampant and random blatant dishonesty you have to go pretty much full George Santos. Many thousands of his lies have been extensively documented.

Thanks, I appreciate the good laugh as I wrap up my night.
Well, we'll agree to disagree. I'm sure she appreciates your support.

She gets off the plane with her normal accent, then changes when she gets behind the microphone. Back to normal when she steps off stage. You can make whatever statement you want about her. I find her dishonest and shallow. Just because you hate Trump doesn't mean you have to cover for her. She's every bit the liar and storyteller you guys blame Trump for. Everyone knows why she was picked and it wasn't for her smarts, honesty and Presidential bearing. Up to the day before Joe's debacle, they were trying to get rid of her.
I know absolutely why she was picked - she was (and still is) the VPOTUS.

I’m not covering for her, and yes I hate Trump. I am trying to compare how Harris being shallow bc of an accent shift plays against Trump’s 34 convictions, with more trials coming afterwards, plus half of his team refusing to support him this election.

Julius Caesar used to pitch his voice higher whenever he addressed his troops or a large audience because a high voice carried further. We all have our little things. If this is the best that the Republicans can do in finding fault then their arsenal is pretty weak. Can they even hear their own arguments?

🍻

Do you speak with a southern accent in Georgia? Then a Midwest accent in Michigan? And an Obama one when speaking to the DNC? I'm sorry, I know you two are trying to blunt damage to Harris and making the argument that the many voices of Kamala are professional. I find it disingenuous and if she were doing it with me, I would find it insulting. But that's just me.
I know I wasn’t trying to blunt any damage to Harris. Pretty sure anything I say here won’t do any of that. The point I was making was that I do in fact change my accent but it really only happens to me in French. In English, generally it stays the same. Tone, vocabulary might change but my accent doesn’t change much as far as I know. That could be a first and second language issue or may be cultural, I don’t know. Most people from Europe who speak French don’t really change their accent but here we certainly do quite a bit. That may be regional as well given our proximity to English but more likely because we speak differently from how we write. Who knows.

As for Harris, I haven’t really noticed the accent change that much but I’ll pay more attention. Not sure that would really bother me though, unless she went Aussie, Brit or Irish or something like that lol.

Well, we'll agree to disagree. I'm sure she appreciates your support.
I really don't think this a matter up for opinion, Fishbone. People track this shit. In just his 4 years as president, Trump made 30,573 false or misleading claims (that does included a lot of repeated claims). And what's worse is you are comparing apples to oranges. Even if you think Harris is putting on a facade and being dishonest about her voice, or her real feelings and opinions, that's nothing compared to the blantant lies being told by Trump, like his claim at rally in July that 300,000 people die per year from fentanyl, or just two weeks ago when he publicly claimed that the Harris-Biden Administration has been caught fraudulently manipulating Job Statistics.

Listen to her speech to unions in Michigan and then to the exact same speech to unions in Pennsylvania. Two same type speeches, two obvious different accents. I just finished watching a morning news program when her swapping accents was the topic of conversation.

It appears the NYP has also picked up on it.

Link-
Link- Kamala Harris slammed for deploying a ‘fake accent’ in Detroit speech

A person's accent may drift as he spends time among people with a different accent, but not immediately.

A politician's accent may drift immediately to suit the target audience.

A person's accent may drift as he spends time among people with a different accent, but not immediately.

A politician's accent may drift immediately to suit the target audience.
Ok - so in the end, what’s the harm here? That she sounds condescending because she drifts her accent to match the target audience?

Listen to her speech to unions in Michigan and then to the exact same speech to unions in Pennsylvania. Two same type speeches, two obvious different accents. I just finished watching a morning news program when her swapping accents was the topic of conversation.

It appears the NYP has also picked up on it.

Link-
Link- Kamala Harris slammed for deploying a ‘fake accent’ in Detroit speech
From that article:

She changes fake accents like she changes policy positions and political personas,” Whitlock wrote on X. “Today she’s talking in a fake southern accent, pretending to be a moderate. Next week she’ll be back to San Francisco liberal.”
I didn’t realize that accents made you liberal or conservative. That must be news to my former colleagues who were Dems from Georgia.

It would appear some family members aren't very impressed with Harris' pick of their brother as VP.

Tim Walz’s older brother is ‘100% opposed to all his ideology,’ believes VP hopeful is not ‘type of character’ who should make decisions about US’ future​

Link - Exclusive | Tim Walz’s older brother is ‘100% opposed to all his ideology,’ believes VP hopeful is not ‘type of character’ who should make decisions about US’ future
So, brother who is opposed to Tim Walz says he is not the type of character. I’m sure it has nothing to do with his (the brother’s) political leanings.

Also, having people call on him to endorse Trump is asinine - Tim Walz’s older brother is not a politician or, at least not stated in the article, someone with huge influence. I’m guessing that this will be main public’s reaction:

Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

Probably no harm at all. It provides voters some insight into a candidate's character.
Sure, but then they should also base it on other aspects as well.

This isn’t really a “first impression” moment - she’s been the VP for almost 4 years at this point and was a politician before that. There are tons of speeches and events - some posted here - where people can draw from.

And I maintain that if her accent switching is the latest “gotcha” from the GOP then that means they still haven’t managed to effectively attack her on policy or things of more substance.

An interesting dynamic shaping up in some of the swing states:

RFK’s efforts to get his name pulled from the Michigan presidential ballot have been rejected by the courts.

He is also suing North Carolina in an attempt to reverse a decision by state election officials that his name will remain on the ballot:

Inexplicably, he’s still trying to get back on the ballot in New York after he was disqualified for lying about his residency:

The belief appears to be that RFK’s name on the ballot may split some vote away from Trump. States are saying that ballots are already in the course of being printed, and it’s too late. This could be critical in, eg, North Carolina, without which Trump likely doesn’t have a path to 270 electoral votes.

This will likely be the source of some fast and fierce legal action in the next week or two. North Carolina mails out ballots on Friday and is the first state to start voting.

RFK’s efforts to get his name pulled from the Michigan presidential ballot have been rejected by the courts.

He is also suing North Carolina in an attempt to reverse a decision by state election officials that his name will remain on the ballot:

Inexplicably, he’s still trying to get back on the ballot in New York after he was disqualified for lying about his residency:

The belief appears to be that RFK’s name on the ballot may split some vote away from Trump. States are saying that ballots are already in the course of being printed, and it’s too late. This could be critical in, eg, North Carolina, without which Trump likely doesn’t have a path to 270 electoral votes.

This will likely be the source of some fast and fierce legal action in the next week or two. North Carolina mails out ballots on Friday and is the first state to start voting.
I’ll admit to being ignorant on this.

If his name still appears, but he says he’s not running, then what happens to those ballots? Are they considered spoiled? It’s not like they can force him to run if he says he’s not, right?

Or is the issue that some RFK voters will miss the memo that he’s endorsing Trump now, and vote for him anyway?

stupid to not withdraw before the required date. How hilarious is it that a former candidate is upset that his name remains on the ballot

Back