• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

USA SEALS Ordered Home from Iraq

FJAG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
US Navy SEAL platoon ordered home from Iraq for allegedly drinking alcohol
By LUIS MARTINEZ
Jul 25, 2019,

In a rare move, a platoon of Navy SEALs deployed to Iraq has been ordered back to the United States after an ongoing investigation found they had been drinking alcohol during their deployment, according to a U.S. defense official. It is the latest incident involving misbehavior among some of the U.S. military's most elite special operations units.

"Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve [in Iraq] ordered the early redeployment of a SEAL Team platoon to San Diego due to a perceived deterioration of good order and discipline within the team during non-operational periods," said a U.S. Special Operations Command statement. "The Commander lost confidence in the team's ability to accomplish the mission."

"Commanders have worked to mitigate the operational impact as this SEAL platoon follows a deliberate redeployment," the statement added.

An investigation was triggered in early July after allegations were made that some members of the platoon of about 20 SEALs were drinking alcohol during their deployment, said a U.S. defense official. The drinking of alcohol is forbidden in combat deployments in the Middle East.

Maj. Gen. Eric Hill ordered the unit home after the ongoing investigation determined that some of the platoon had been drinking alcohol while in Iraq and others were aware that it was going on.

See rest of article here:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/us-navy-seal-platoon-ordered-home-iraq-allegedly/story?id=64552695&cid=clicksource_4380645_null_card_hed

:cheers:

A SEAL platoon was ordered back to CONUS for violating a General Order while in Iraq- no alcohol.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/navy-seal-platoon-being-sent-home-from-iraq-over-misconduct-reports-say

More to the story: now allegations that another military member was raped by a SEAL.  Apparently the whole team pleaded the fifth.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2019/07/25/navy-seal-platoon-kicked-out-iraq-drinking-alcohol-while-deployed-officials-say/?utm_term=.27fb0517e590

Innocent until proven guilty I guess, but it feels like this particular platoon feels themselves rather above moral (or actual) laws...

Stupid games that have no place in adult life. The attorney for PO Howard seems to think the charges arent found in the UCMJ.

https://www.army.mil/article/121840/be_careful_what_you_post_servicemembers_civilians_accountable_for_misconduct_on_social_media

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7292743/SEAL-Team-6-member-accused-catfishing-members-elite-unit-nudes.html

A Navy special operator assigned to SEAL Team 6 has been accused of pretending to be someone else in text messages in order to obtain nude photos of women from other members of the elite unit.

Petty Officer 1st Class Aaron Howard, who was named the unit's Sailor of the Year in 2016, faces a general court-martial at Naval Station Norfolk over the shocking allegations, the Virginian-Pilot reported.

Allegations of sexual assault aside.....

Attachments

• 67338090_222190532090025_2215991086495563776_n.jpg
    67338090_222190532090025_2215991086495563776_n.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 154
Is there something wrong going on in the SEALS?

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/the-drift/2019/07/28/big-navy-must-fix-the-seals-the-drift-vol-xlii/

From the Drift:

Now, let’s review some recent SEAL history. This is not a comprehensive list.
April 2017: CBS New airs a blockbuster report alleging widespread drug use inside the SEALs organization. The broadcast includes remarks from a SEAL commander who says that in the six months he has been CO, five SEALs have been kicked out for drugs. Read: Navy SEAL drug use "staggering," investigation finds
June 2017: Two SEALs on deployment in Mali break into the room of a sleeping Green Beret, Sgt. Logan Melgar and strangle him to death. The two SEALs admit to the murder but claim it was a “prank.” They intended to choke Melgar until he passed out, tie him up and sexually assault him on camera in an act of hazing. One of the SEALs was later investigated for allegedly approaching Melgar’s widow under an assumed name at a party and hitting on her. Read: Troops charged in Green Beret’s death in Mali planned to record him being sexually assaulted, Marine says
February 2018: Navy SEAL Gregory Seerden was detained in connection with a sexual assault. When authorities searched his phone they found 78 images and four videos of Seerden sexually abusing a child. Read: Former Navy SEAL Sentenced for Sexual Exploitation of a Child
April 2018: Six SEALs from SEAL Team 10 are kicked out for failing drug tests. An internal investigation showed a culture of covering for each other and gaming the drug testing system, which SEALs called “A joke.” Read: Internal report exposes cocaine abuse, lax testing, inside SEAL Team 10
April 2018: A trial begins for three SEALs charged with war crimes for allegedly beating Afghan detainees in 2012, which resulted in at least one death. The SEALs maintain their innocence. Read: SEALs' War Crimes Court-Martial Starts Amid Command Influence Charges
July 2018: The commander and top enlisted sailor of a SEAL detachment based in East Africa are sent home amid sexual misconduct allegations. Read: 2 Navy SEAL leaders relieved of duty after sexual misconduct allegations
July 2019: SEAL Chief Eddie Gallagher is found not guilty in connection with the stabbing death of an Iraqi detainee, a war crimes trial that fell to pieces after the medic treating the detainee confessed to killing the man on the witness stand: Read: SEAL war crimes suspect not guilty on murder charge
July 2019: A SEAL platoon is sent home early from Iraq when, after one of them was accused of sexual assault, the SEALs refused to cooperate with investigators. The SEALs were found to be drinking in the war zone, which is in violation of longstanding U.S. policy. Read:US Navy Seals platoon sent home from Iraq for drinking alcohol as sexual assault allegations investigated

Sounding more and more like a toxic culture environment. 

Remius said:
Sounding more and more like a toxic culture environment.

Lack of oversight and no disciplinary actions by the sound of it. We've been through this. 1993.

The problem - partially - is the members value loyalty to the unit over loyalty to the country.

Loyalty to your fire team partner, section, platoon is a good thing but it can go too far.

My  :2c:

Hamish Seggie said:
Lack of oversight and no disciplinary actions by the sound of it. We've been through this. 1993.

The problem - partially - is the members value loyalty to the unit over loyalty to the country.

Loyalty to your fire team partner, section, platoon is a good thing but it can go too far.

My  :2c:

Organizations that are burned out from overstretch - and trying to punch too far above their weight all the time - can behave like this too

... don't ask me how I know :)

Just brought the two threads on the same story together here -- please continue.

Milnet.ca Staff

Top US Navy SEAL tells commanders in letter: 'We have a problem'

By Barbara Starr, CNN Pentagon CorrespondentVWashington (CNN)

The top US Navy SEAL recently sent a blistering letter to the force, writing in boldface type, "We have a problem," following several high profile incidents of alleged misbehavior by the US Navy's elite service members, CNN has learned.

Rear Adm. Collin Green has given commanders until August 7 to detail the problems they see and provide recommendations on how they will ensure troops are engaging in ethical and professional behavior.

The letter -- dated July 25 and exclusively obtained by CNN -- comes in the wake of several high profile incidents of alleged misbehavior by SEALs.

"I don't know yet if we have a culture problem, I do know that we have a good order and discipline problem that must be addressed immediately," Green said.

See rest of article here:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/01/politics/navy-seals-collin-green-service-members-misbehavior/index.html

:cheers:

daftandbarmy said:
Organizations that are burned out from overstretch - and trying to punch too far above their weight all the time - can behave like this too

... don't ask me how I know :)
Multiple deployments with little down time between deployment and high readiness training.

Possible concussions and other health issues ie ankles, knees, backs from carrying a crap ton of stuff.

I am also thinking there was more behind this than simply drinking.

Hamish Seggie said:
Multiple deployments with little down time between deployment and high readiness training.

Possible concussions and other health issues ie ankles, knees, backs from carrying a crap ton of stuff.

A former Marine Colonel in that article disagrees.

But many, like David Lapan, a retired Marine colonel, reject that notion.

"Yes, they are being asked to go out and kill as part of their jobs but they are supposed to be able to do it with discipline and do it in ways that don't allow them to lose their bearing and lose their discipline," Lapan said.

Remius said:
A former Marine Colonel in that article disagrees.

But many, like David Lapan, a retired Marine colonel, reject that notion.

"Yes, they are being asked to go out and kill as part of their jobs but they are supposed to be able to do it with discipline and do it in ways that don't allow them to lose their bearing and lose their discipline," Lapan said.
[/i

But they are losing their humanity.

Hamish Seggie said:

The solution is rigid, all seeing, but fair, discipline of course, which falls mainly on the most Senior NCOs. But they can only do so much if higher is not supportive, or neglecting to manage the workload properly.

Hamish Seggie said:

Drinking just now masks the really problems.

Rear Admiral Green tries to fix the SEAL problem.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/top-navy-seal-commander-writes-182115156.html

"I don't know yet if we have a culture problem. I do know that we have a good order and discipline problem that must be addressed immediately," Green said in the letter, giving SEAL commanders until August 7 to find a path forward in the wake of multiple recent scandals.

I have been following this with some interest, as the thread jogged my memory. Many years ago I read a book by the individual who created what became Seal Team 6, and later got in some trouble for financial irregularities, I think. He made a statement in the book that he encouraged his Seals to get into bar fights, as it helped develop them as operators.

Again, this was about the time I retired, and I hung up by uniform in 1994, so my memory could be playing games. I do not have a copy of his book, at least one I can find. However, if my memory is correct, that seems to me to be the wrong sort of approach to take with people in this line of work.

Old Sweat said:
I have been following this with some interest, as the thread jogged my memory. Many years ago I read a book by the individual who created what became Seal Team 6, and later got in some trouble for financial irregularities, I think. He made a statement in the book that he encouraged his Seals to get into bar fights, as it helped develop them as operators.

Again, this was about the time I retired, and I hung up by uniform in 1994, so my memory could be playing games. I do not have a copy of his book, at least one I can find. However, if my memory is correct, that seems to me to be the wrong sort of approach to take with people in this line of work.

Richard Marcinko was the author of Rogue Warrior.

His approach to team building was....unorthodox to say the least.

Back