• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

USS Bonhomme Richard on fire

1000 degree heat ? 400 sailors fighting the fires but still burning. Too bad they didnt have halon which would have sucked the air from the fire,

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/1-000-degree-blaze-continues-to-rage-aboard-aboard-navy-ship-in-san-diego/ar-BB16H1yW?ocid=msedgntp

Short of the fuel (which I understand hasn't been compromised) and hydraulic lines and grease fittings/seals and the odd bit of furniture I didn't think there was enough combustible material on one of these ships to keep a fire this intense going this long.

Navy guys?

???

FJAG said:
Short of the fuel (which I understand hasn't been compromised) and hydraulic lines and grease fittings/seals and the odd bit of furniture I didn't think there was enough combustible material on one of these ships to keep a fire this intense going this long.

Navy guys?

???

Pretty much anything will burn once a fire gets to that sort of heat, insulation, , mattresses, personal effects etc.

After lessons learnt in the Falklands they wouldn't have used Aluminium would they?

YZT580 said:
After lessons learnt in the Falklands they wouldn't have used Aluminium would they?

Reminds me of a board of inquiry I was involved in in the early 70s with a trailer from 2 Bunch of Guns Sigs Tp going up in flames. Lots of naptha, oil and gasoline on board together with personnel kit and lots of radio gear. Most of our radios in those days were an aluminum alloy with magnesium based batteries which burn very well. We identified most pers gear by the zippers and steel components which survived.

That said, re paint, wasn't that one of the lessons learned from the HMS Sheffield?

:cheers:

FJAG said:
Reminds me of a board of inquiry I was involved in in the early 70s with a trailer from 2 Bunch of Guns Sigs Tp going up in flames. Lots of naptha, oil and gasoline on board together with personnel kit and lots of radio gear. Most of our radios in those days were an aluminum alloy with magnesium based batteries which burn very well. We identified most pers gear by the zippers and steel components which survived.

That said, re paint, wasn't that one of the lessons learned from the HMS Sheffield?

I bet the amount of personal kit claimed as destroyed in that fire exceeded what the truck would carry.

Brihard said:
Oof, yeah, she’s done.

Good thing I'm not in charge as I'd scuttle her...

....just so I could go down with the ship (until it hit bottom and I could step neatly off onto a tender :) ).

Fire suppresion system had been turned off at the time of the fire. Dockyard will get the blame or maybe sabotage.

https://fox5sandiego.com/news/local-news/admiral-firefighting-system-turned-off-when-blaze-started-on-navy-ship/

Brihard said:
I bet the amount of personal kit claimed as destroyed in that fire exceeded what the truck would carry.

It was a 3/4 ton trailer, but yeah. Hard to prove anything when all you can do is stir through the ashes with a steel rod from a 105mm ammo box looking for zippers and unmelted innards from radio gear. Mostly all we could do was say that "we can't disprove what's in this statutory declaration".

Brihard said:

LOL reminds me of the amount of Ipods, CD players and gucci clothes in a destroyed LAV in Afghanistan.  Seemed like everyone in that LAV was rockingat least two of each item!

^-^

Attachments

• y372ek71bia51.jpg
    y372ek71bia51.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 146
There's quite a few LCS nearby, they really did bank on those things filling the fleet!  The visual puts the numbers in perspective.  Counted quite a few

Watching the helicopters dump water down the stack reminds me of the Soviet choppers flying loads of concrete into Chernyobol.

Spotted this on reddit:The island of USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) as viewed from an MH-60 that was dumping water to assist the firefighters battling the now day old fire. July 13th, 2020

Attachments

• lhcaxf9puqa51.jpg
    lhcaxf9puqa51.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 453
At least the ship isnt nuclear powered or they might be dumping concrete.

Back