• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAC wait times

Just some info here that you folks might already be aware of, but good to pass on nontheless regarding Appeals. I emailed The Bureau of Pensions Advocates (BPA) yesterday for an update on my Entitlement Review and I was advised they are adjudicating appeals starting July 2020. That's like a 2 year backlog!

Just some info here that you folks might already be aware of, but good to pass on nontheless regarding Appeals. I emailed The Bureau of Pensions Advocates (BPA) yesterday for an update on my Entitlement Review and I was advised they are adjudicating appeals starting July 2020. That's like a 2 year backlog!
Was yours a formal Appeal or was it a Reassessment or Departmental Review. Not really clear on difference between Reassessment / Department Review as BPA submitted a Department Review for one of my conditions in Dec 2021 and it was completed in early June however VAC termed it a Reassessment. I currently have another condition that BPA has submitted a Dept Review for and it was only submitted 1 month ago. Both of mine are for conditions that VAC has already approved just the entitlement is being reviewed. My understanding of Appeals, which may not be correct, is if denied benefits and a Dept Review did not result in any change then a formal Appeal is the final route to argue for benefits.

They publish all the appeals here. Some original claim decisions from 2021 have already been adjudicated

Ack. Rgr that. Just some more info for Appeals and Reviews. The Bureau of Pensions Advocates advised me yesterday that Statement of Cases are 6-9 months behind from the date of when the Appeal or Review was registered with VRAB. Mine was registered June 2022 so BPA told me don't expect anything (SOC) until early 2023.

My claims submitted 11 Jul 2022 have now moved to step 2 - Review today 21 Sep.

I originally went to submit one claim but when going through the process realized there was potential of 7 claims. It will be interesting to see how many will actually get approved.

I know the wait time tool is a bit of a farce, but now it shows that “multiple conditions” at 20 weeks is substantially faster than “single condition” at 31 weeks. This doesn’t make any sense at all. Any guesses? Less data maybe?

I know the wait time tool is a bit of a farce, but now it shows that “multiple conditions” at 20 weeks is substantially faster than “single condition” at 31 weeks. This doesn’t make any sense at all. Any guesses? Less data maybe?
The wait time tool is simply a public relations/media red herring it does not work.
I had one recent injury claim take 2+ years at stage 3 denied(appealed) and a second for mental health take 5 weeks approved. Obviously claims are triaged as well.
You do not want to be like me and wait till the end of your career to submit though since payment starts when they receive the claim. Make sure everything Is documented and submit sooner rather then later.

Ok. Bit confused on this one. Some applications have moved on to the decision stages but..... some indicate "claim withdrawn". confusing as to my small brain withdrawn would have to be me saying I don't want it which didn't happen. When I click on it I get "Our records show this application was withdrawn. For further information, please contact us." Of course as normal for government contact means call and wait forever

edit - wow calling at lunch time may be the trick. got an immediate and pleasant reply. Turns out it is poor wording that they would like changed. It is actually on hold pending providing additional information ie firm diagnosis from the doctors. For the items in question I have to admit I am not surprised as most are old from the early 90s.

Last edited:
Ok. Bit confused on this one. Some applications have moved on to the decision stages but..... some indicate "claim withdrawn". confusing as to my small brain withdrawn would have to be me saying I don't want it which didn't happen. When I click on it I get "Our records show this application was withdrawn. For further information, please contact us." Of course as normal for government contact means call and wait forever

edit - wow calling at lunch time may be the trick. got an immediate and pleasant reply. Turns out it is poor wording that they would like changed. It is actually on hold pending providing additional information ie firm diagnosis from the doctors. For the items in question I have to admit I am not surprised as most are old from the early 90s.
It’s also used when it’s combined with another, similar claim, eg mental health and anxiety, if submitted around the same time they combine them and one will show ‘withdrawn’.

I know we constantly have negative things posted regarding wait times, I decided to post a little positive, and perhaps this is a sign things are improving.

I submitted a back claim In June of this year. after submitting they forwarded me a medical questionnaire that I didn't get complete until end of august. This was forwarded off to VAC early September from my Doctors Office.

I didn't see any updates for awhile, but late September / early October, I called in to check on receipt of the questionnaire. They confirmed they had it, but wasn't uploaded to the respective department yet. Which was fine.

Mid October my application changed to step 2 as they were now reviewing my documents that was submitted.

October 19th it switched to Step 3. I now mentally prepared myself for a 6+ month wait to have the file actually decided on.
I got notice today on October 27th that my application changed, logged in to see it complete. While I don't have an official decision letter yet, I assume it was favorable because my monthly amount changed and I got a new amount under Pain and Suffering. Which roughly correlates to 15% award (182.50)

I probably will elect to get a lump sum if my estimate is right. Though I do find it interesting it went straight to monthly payments before confirmation, I'm guessing this is the default way they process awards now.

With that said, I'm very pleased with the time frame, as we all said before, the timer don't officially start until it hits step 3, and if that is the case my application took 8 days to process.

I know we constantly have negative things posted regarding wait times, I decided to post a little positive, and perhaps this is a sign things are improving.

I submitted a back claim In June of this year. after submitting they forwarded me a medical questionnaire that I didn't get complete until end of august. This was forwarded off to VAC early September from my Doctors Office.

I didn't see any updates for awhile, but late September / early October, I called in to check on receipt of the questionnaire. They confirmed they had it, but wasn't uploaded to the respective department yet. Which was fine.

Mid October my application changed to step 2 as they were now reviewing my documents that was submitted.

October 19th it switched to Step 3. I now mentally prepared myself for a 6+ month wait to have the file actually decided on.
I got notice today on October 27th that my application changed, logged in to see it complete. While I don't have an official decision letter yet, I assume it was favorable because my monthly amount changed and I got a new amount under Pain and Suffering. Which roughly correlates to 15% award (182.50)

I probably will elect to get a lump sum if my estimate is right. Though I do find it interesting it went straight to monthly payments before confirmation, I'm guessing this is the default way they process awards now.

With that said, I'm very pleased with the time frame, as we all said before, the timer don't officially start until it hits step 3, and if that is the case my application took 8 days to process.
Something similar with me.

August 25th: Submitted for Pain & Suffering (PTSD).
August 26th: Message received from VAC saying that I have access full access to mental health coverage.

August 27th: Got in contact with a psychologist, told her that VAC need an evaluation for a possible PTSD.

From September 19 and October 26, I got 5 appointments, she confirmed me that Im suffering from PTSD on my last appointment.
October 27th: Received my psychologist report, submitted online the same day.

November 4th: Went to Step 2
November 14th: Went to Step 3

Now just waiting for their decision.

Things to consider:
1- I submitted in French
2- I'm a civilian now, last year of service: 2015.
3- I don't have other application at this moment.

I don't know if those 3 things make a difference but wanted to mention.

Hope this help

John

Any update from October 27th? Did you received the decision letter? Did you ask for the lump sum?

John

Any update from October 27th? Did you received the decision letter? Did you ask for the lump sum?

John
I got my decision letter first week of November. Asked for a lump sum form some time last week. Got the form on Monday and submitted it. No deposit yet

Hope that helps. Also if you haven't I recommend taking advantage of psychological services. It helped me out a lot before.

I got my decision letter first week of November. Asked for a lump sum form some time last week. Got the form on Monday and submitted it. No deposit yet

Hope that helps. Also if you haven't I recommend taking advantage of psychological services. It helped me out a lot before.
Thanks for the update.

I got told my decision letter should be available this week.

John

Just got my decision letter today November 28, I asked the form for the lump sum too.

How long did it take to have the form?

And, did you received the lump sum yet?

John

Just got my decision letter today November 28, I asked the form for the lump sum too.

How long did it take to have the form?

And, did you received the lump sum yet?

John
I don't have the exact time lines in front of me, but from decision letter to deposit was roughly 3 weeks. Much under their quoted turn around.

john86, you will definitely receive your Decision Letter "usually" between 1-2 weeks which is pretty good. Also, if it is a Favourable Decision, you won't have to wait the regular 6 weeks that VAC states on the letter. From experience, I receive the Lump Sum within 2 weeks of requesting the Lump Sum Form.

john86, you will definitely receive your Decision Letter "usually" between 1-2 weeks which is pretty good. Also, if it is a Favourable Decision, you won't have to wait the regular 6 weeks that VAC states on the letter. From experience, I receive the Lump Sum within 2 weeks of requesting the Lump Sum Form.
Thanks for the info,

Got my decision letter on Monday the 28th, I ask for the form the same day.

So far, I have good experience with VAC. Nothing bad to say at this moment.

It took 4 months for my hearing loss and 3 months for my ptsd, both favorable decisions.

Now, what im feeling, is that my last application for my lumbar injury (Arthrosis) will probably take more time. I submitted everything in July, the VAC form, Xray and Scan diagnostics, physiotherapist evaluation and my doctor note, and I just moved to step 2 (Today November 29th). Maybe because is more complex? Maybe because I have no report of any back injury while I was in the army? Will see.

John

Back