• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAC wait times

Recommend calling every week or two.  I called again today on behalf of my Dad.  I'll call them again next week.  If there is a hold up, and I can help move it along I know about it right away.

Of course that is is normal for VAC. They have to justify (somehow) the need for new employees and new offices.  They have a very good union working for them and you (veteran) are the reason they have jobs.
Cheers

meni0n said:
12 months at step 1 is not acceptable. My claim last year took 1 year to get a decision. I'd send them a message and complain to the ombudsman. It may not speed anything up but will at least contribute to the stats.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

I agree, however that seems to be the standard wait time for most claims these days. This is based off off of the experiences of members of the Faceboob3B release page, the Veterans Voice webpage as well as my own contacts. Some claims like tinnitus and PTSD seem to move faster and of course, every claim is different mileage may vary.

Szczep said:
Of course that is is normal for VAC. They have to justify (somehow) the need for new employees and new offices.  They have a very good union working for them and you (veteran) are the reason they have jobs.
Cheers

Considering how much they have shrunk in the last year, that union is doing a pretty shitty job.

I just got a reply from VAC saying theyre currently processing claims from August 2017. Not sure if that's made up to make me feel better as the SSSD for my claim is September.

meni0n said:
I just got a reply from VAC saying theyre currently processing claims from August 2017. Not sure if that's made up to make me feel better as the SSSD for my claim is September.

That certainly makes me feel better, considering my claim is in from August!

When I called a couple weeks ago, they were in June 2017, so they are moving quick by my measure! Kudos to them for working diligently, even if my outcome is not as I desire.

meni0n said:

That's funny, I got one a couple of weeks ago saying they were working on January 2017... me thinks there's some "alternative facts" afoot.

That's what I was thinking. They'll give you dates to keep you hopeful. Maybe it depends on how many times you message them. The more you send the closer the dates get.

Another theory is that it's a generic reply with dropdowns and someone picked the wrong J

I've been involved with VAC since 2014.

I had no idea as to benefits and programs, and was approached by a civilian volunteer for the local legion who suggested I look into matters.

Thank goodness for that.  I was on my last legs in many ways.

My ELB/Rehab app was faxed by me on a Friday, and by Tuesday I was informed of a positive decision.
Recently RLC, noted some issues on my medical file (they are advocating on my behalf for 2 separate DA applications, one already turned down on first read), and submitted an application as soon as I provided them a medical document.  The application was submitted to VAC on the 27th of March, and by 6 April they reached a positive decision.  Today I received the document package along with a VAC 888 in My VAC Account.
Obviously the file was redzoned.  However, I did note that if it wasn't for RLC, I'd likely be still awaiting a decision in July, which is their normal service standard for DA applications (16 weeks).  I was told they are currently processing January 2017 applications (1 year behind).
I've read threads by folks who suggested they had a negative experience with RLC.  I've also read negative stories about VAC.  What it comes down to is the individual handling your file, and how you have presented your circumstances.

I also have the unique experience of dealing with a civilian significant personal injury matter.  The total for personal injury as determined by a triumvirate of SCC rulings back in 1976 capped the total payable, and indexed for inflation is what amount VAC uses for total disability.  $365,400.  In civil litigation proceedings, depending on the nature of injury, you have a far more difficult time getting adequate compensation in this venue.  In my circumstance, there are 5 significant entities involved who are heavily insured.  I will be lucky to get half of what I would VAC, if my injury in question was service related.  The fight is far more difficult, and often the institutional insurance lawyers have "arrangements" with most of the personal injury lawyers. 

All in all, while I'm extremely bitter over my military experience that led to the loss of my career, while one of them retired a general, I am thankful for how VAC/RLC has supported me since 2014.  Sure there are administrative/clerical/procedural boondoggles that really test one's patience, but those can and eventually get addressed. 

The hardest part is struggling on your own with the issues, and not having a voice to advocate on your behalf during these very trying periods in your life.

You got a decision in two weeks? How the heck does this work. Most people wait a lot more than the prescribed 16 weeks that they advertise on their web site. I just sent another message to VAC to ask when I can expect a decision on the reassessment. I guess I'll keep messaging them every week or two.

meni0n said:
You got a decision in two weeks? How the heck does this work. Most people wait a lot more than the prescribed 16 weeks that they advertise on their web site. I just sent another message to VAC to ask when I can expect a decision on the reassessment. I guess I'll keep messaging them every week or two.

Note that he mentions his file was redzoned meaning the situation was urgent thus getting a decision quickly.

I had an interesting conversation with one of the VAC phone monitors (for lack of a better description). I cracked a joke that there was a misprint in the service delivery standards and that it should be 16 months vice 16 weeks. He then launched into a tirade on how they had warned the gov't that allowing online applications would jam everything up because so many more people would be applying.

I asked him what percentage of those new applications were valid or lead to favourable outcomes. He replied most of them. He didn't like my follow-up which was if they were valid then why should VAC dissuade people from applying?

It sounds like they are getting worn out over there.

Too bad he didn't disclose what month they are currently working on. Maybe they should post that info in the website.

It's impossible to know which month because everyone seem to give a different answer every time. I had the VAC ombudsman call me back this week and said i should be getting a decision within the next few weeks. Seems like they got access to the system over there as well.

Just checked online and it says that claim is complete. What I find weird is that I can't access the decision online. The last two claims I got an email and able to see the documents on my inbox but this one just says documents were mailed.

Did you choose the option that said everything electronic in your profile? I don't know if it makes a difference or not.

You're right I just checked and it wasn't on. It's weird I could sworn I had it enabled. Now I guess I'll have to wait for 5 days.

Diagnosed w ptsd have to move back to east coast to get out of my hermit lifestyle to be close to immediate family..anyone know if VAC can assist with the move

Capersapper said:
Diagnosed w ptsd have to move back to east coast to get out of my hermit lifestyle to be close to immediate family..anyone know if VAC can assist with the move

Did you move on or after your release using the military benefit? Have you released within the last 2 years? If so your possibly entitled to a final move from the CAF.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits-relocation/2011-2012-directive-ch14.page#art-14-01-02

VAC has no benefits assisting a move.

Back