• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAC wait times

How's everyones times going lately? I got a claim at stage 1 since December 2018 and haven't heard anything yet about a reassessment I requested about a month ago.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

I have a reassessment that has been at stage 3 since the first week of January. I put it in early last fall. It took them almost 4 months to go from stage 1 to stage 3 after my medical questionnaire was completed by my Doctor and submitted. Now ive been sitting at stage 3 for 24 weeks. According to their tool average wait times for a reassessment  are flip flopping between 14 or 15 weeks. Nkw this is still pretty quick because reassessments go much faster than first time claims. Just not near as quick as they advertise, and when I call and ask if there is movement on my file because im almost 10 weeks over the average i get the old "try calling next week and we might have more information for you line, they should complete it soon!"
As for first time claims, I have one I put in on the same day as my reassessment. Its still at stage one, almost 40 weeks later. That one Im they said I should be expecting to have it looked at closer to Dec of this year.

Have you noticed:

Step 2 means we will review all of the information obtained in support of your claim.

We are reviewing all of the information obtained in support of your claim. We strive to provide a decision within 16 weeks, however, we are currently experiencing a higher than normal volume of applications.

Step 3 means your claim will be at the decision making level. Wait times will now come into effect during which time VAC will adjudicate your application and a decision will be made.

Reassessments are quick: NO.

Rifleman62 said:
Have you noticed:

Step 2 means we will review all of the information obtained in support of your claim.

We are reviewing all of the information obtained in support of your claim. We strive to provide a decision within 16 weeks, however, we are currently experiencing a higher than normal volume of applications.

Step 3 means your claim will be at the decision making level. Wait times will now come into effect during which time VAC will adjudicate your application and a decision will be made.

Reassessments are quick: NO.

By reassessments being quick I meant in relation to first time claims. Compared to those they are much, much faster. I expect it to be years (already been 40 weeks and still at step 1) start to finish for my first time claim i put in last fall, and just months for my reassesment (40 weeks total with 24 of it being at step 3). But you are right still not actually "quick".

My experience has been that the wait time tool is garbage and does not actually give even close to accurate information. And that the front line employees (while they try their best to be helpful) really do not have much more knowledge about your claims then the VAC app can give you.
I call every so often to make myself feel better, but to be honest I know they will not actually give me any information that I already do not know. At least in the last 7 years or so dealing with VAC that has been my experience.

It's odd that the wait time tool is so out of whack considering they are updating it weekly. Really makes you wonder how they get there info every week?

I would like to know how they calculate it because there is no way it is remotely accurate.

I have an initial claim that has been on Stage 3 for close to 60 weeks.

The wait time tool says the average is 20, sure VAC, sure.

Teager said:
It's odd that the wait time tool is so out of whack considering they are updating it weekly. Really makes you wonder how they get there info every week?

Better yet, what otherwise unemployable VAC employee has been given this as a full time task? ;)

On the bright side, I just got off the phone with VA and they said that if your file is older than the oldest claim they are working on (sounds impossible?) then they will escalate it. So for reassessments the oldest claim they are working on is June 2018. If your file is from before June 2018 (at step 3 mind you, not submitted) then they will investigate.
In other words if they completely forgot about you and skipped you then they will look into it.
I'm not upset about the wait on my claims (frustrated but not angry )because I do not need them to live, but I understand the level of anger from those who are counting on being looked after by their government in order to have some semblance of a normal life. I have family members who served that are in that boat right now. The level of miscare I see one of them receive ( a retired CPO2 no less) is staggering.

At this point my file is a little under 69 weeks old, or 1 year 4 months, and I have been at stage 3 since Oct or about 8 months. I think my shortest ever was like 13 months, in 2016. I can't see how the wait tool time can be anything but a lie. Just think how fast they would have to clear some of the files to account for file like mine that are close to 16 month long. I also can't see how they can have average times much, much lower than I am waiting yet claiming they deal with files sequentially.

And after the lengthy wait, the claim will probably be denied, then another three years for departmental reviews, reconsiderations and then appeals, on and on it goes with no definitive end date. 

I submitted my first claim for hearing loss last evening.  Included the report from my med docs that shows the measured specific frequency range loss that exactly corresponds with the frequency range of our ship's Active SONAR systems - which I maintained for 26 years.

We'll see how long it takes...I suspect...a long time based on this thread.

My hearing loss and tinnitus claims have both been sitting at stage 3 since Oct 2018. So 14 weeks?

Apparently they are up to December of 2017, so your claim shouldn't be much longer.

And at the end you can add another 6 weeks wait time should you choose lump sum pay out because apparently that is the average time for a direct deposit of funds. 

Well, I can only speak for myself but I have no problem waiting six weeks for payment once I know what they decide. After 60 weeks with absolutely no indication of if/when it will be resolved and what % it will be, six weeks doesn't seem so bad.

kalobis said:
Well, I can only speak for myself but I have no problem waiting six weeks for payment once I know what they decide. After 60 weeks with absolutely no indication of if/when it will be resolved and what % it will be, six weeks doesn't seem so bad.

That's kind of sad. Waiting six extra weeks once they have decided is crap. It isn't like they need to free up money, like you or I would if we had a big expense. But because the initial wait is so terrible, we feel like it isn't that big of a deal.

Is this something new? I usually had a deposit within a week after submitting the form.

My claim has been at Stage 3 since January 2018, and still no end in sight. By Canadian Press, Average vet faces 32-week wait for benefits decision, double government target.  Somebody should contact The Canadian Press and set the record straight, it takes an average 64 week wait which more than triples the government target. 

Back