• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Victoria Cross

R

rceme_rat

(from March 3 Ottawa Sun)

VC

The world‘s most famous medal for bravery is awarded to a select few; only a handful of its recipients are still alive

By PAT MacADAM -- For the Ottawa Sun

Queen Victoria and her consort, Prince Albert, watched over every minute detail of minting the Victoria Cross in 1865-66.

From the outset, the Queen‘s instructions were that the medal was to be modelled after the British Army Gold Cross of the Peninsular Wars of 1806-1814 -- but "a little smaller."

When her civil servants proposed the medal be named the Military Order of Victoria she pencilled the suggestion out and wrote in "Victoria Cross."

‘FOR VALOUR‘

When her advisers recommended the small Maltese cross be inscribed -- "For The Brave", Prince Albert pencilled in "For Valour."

Furthermore, she decreed the gallantry award would be retroactive. Heroes of the 1864-65 Crimean War would be grandfathered.

The original award carried an annual stipend of #10, later increased to #50, then to #150 and, finally, to #1,300 annually in the 1990s.

Victoria kept the pressure on her bureaucrats to strike the medal and arrange the first awards ceremony. Hancocks was chosen to craft the medals and was hard pressed to hand chase, personalize and deliver the 62 Crosses required on time. The Bruton Street jeweller has handcrafted every one of the 1,354 VCs awarded.

All of the medals were cut from the breechblocks of two 18-pounder Chinese cannons captured from the Russians at Sebastopol during the Crimean War. Because the metal was so brittle the medals could not be stamped. Each had to be hand cut and hand finished. No two medals are exactly identical. The British Defence Department has enough metal left for only 80 more Victoria Crosses.

Once the medals were ready and a date was set -- 10 a.m., June 26, 1857 -- for the first investiture, Queen Victoria‘s interest appears to have waned. She appeared on a makeshift parade ground at Hyde Park riding sidesaddle on a horse.

The Queen did not dismount. The 62 recipients stood at ease some distance away. She did not waste time on small talk. She pinned all 62 medals in 10 minutes -- one every 10 seconds. The Royal Navy and the Royal Marines were first to receive their medals in order of rank. The Army came last in order of regimental precedence.

The first man to be gazetted for the Victoria Cross was Royal Navy Mate Charles Davis Lucas. A live shell, with its fuse still hissing, landed on the deck of his ship. All hands were ordered to hit the deck. Lucas picked the shell up and threw it overboard. It exploded before it hit the water.

But Commander Henry Raby outranked Lucas and had the honour of receiving the first Victoria Cross. Lucas was lucky! Queen Victoria pinned the first VC through Commander Raby‘s tunic and then through his breast. History records he did not flinch. She did not repeat the mistake with any of the next 61.

There were Canadian connections among the first 62 awards. Alexander Roberts Dunn, a 21-year-old lieutenant from York, Upper Canada, was the first Canadian to win a VC. He was serving with Prince Albert‘s Own Hussars during the Charge of the Light Brigade at Balaclava and distinguished himself in hand-to-hand combat. He was killed in a hunting accident in Abyssinia in 1868 and lay in a neglected grave in Senafe, Eritrea, until Canadian troops from CFB Gagetown, serving with a United Nations‘ peacekeeping mission in Ethiopia and Eritrea, discovered his gravesite and restored it.

HEROISM UNDER FIRE

Able Seaman William Hall, 30, a Nova Scotia Negro, was the first coloured recipient of a VC. He was decorated for heroism under fire at Lucknow during the Indian Mutiny on Nov. 16, 1857. His was one of 24 Victoria Crosses won on the same day.

Campbell Mellis Douglas, a 26-year old assistant surgeon from Quebec City serving with the South Wales Borderers, was decorated for risking his life saving soldiers from his regiment who were marooned on Little Andaman Island in the Bay of Bengal in East India in 1867.

An Irish born private, Timothy O‘Hea, serving with the British Army Rifle Brigade, won the first Victoria Cross on Canadian soil on June 9, 1866. He exhibited extreme courage extinguishing a fire in a railway car carrying a ton of ammunition in Danville, Quebec.

At Gallipoli in 1915, six soldiers of the Lancashire Fusiliers won Victoria Crosses before breakfast. Eleven VCs were awarded at the Battle of Rorke‘s Drift in South Africa.

The Victoria Cross is in danger of becoming extinct. Only 11 have been awarded since the end of World War II. The last VCs were awarded posthumously to two British soldiers -- Sergeant Ian McKay and Colonel "H" Jones -- in the Falkland Islands. Two members of Britain‘s elite SAS may be denied the VC for bravery in Afghanistan because of the strict rules governing the award. In one case, a superior officer did not witness the action.

The VC has been awarded to 90 Canadians and three Americans serving with Canadian units. Three recipients -- Fred Hall, Leo Clarke and Robert Shankland -- all lived on Pine St. in Winnipeg. The City of Winnipeg renamed the street Valour Rd.

Four sets of brothers and three father-son combinations have won Victoria Crosses. Three men have Bars to their Crosses -- two medical officers and an infantry officer. They won the VC twice. New Zealand sheep rancher Charles Upham was the only combat soldier with a Bar to his Cross. He won his first VC in Crete and a second in the Western Desert in WW II. He died in 1994.

During the Second World War 180 Victoria Crosses were awarded. There were 32 awarded in the air but only one went to a fighter pilot. RAF pilot Eric Nicolson flew a Hurricane during the Battle of Britain and was decorated for heroism in August 1940. He was killed in action over the Bay of Bengal May 2, 1945.

There are 500 VCs in public or regimental museums, 300 held privately and 500 unaccounted for. A private British collector has spent an estimated #10 Million assembling a collection of 100 VCs. The Canadian War Museum owns two dozen and one, a WW I award to Ottawa soldier Filip Konowal, has gone missing.

A VC awarded to a New Zealand Liberator bomber pilot in WW II was recently sold at auction for #120,000. A First World War Cross brought #92,000 and a Boer War VC won at Rorke‘s Drift during the Zulu War realized #80,000.

Canada does not stand alone in treating war heroes shabbily or neglecting their last resting places. British military historians estimate that at least 180 VC winners are in unknown paupers‘ graves. Two years ago, the burial place of a hero of Inkerman in the Crimean War was found in a mass grave in Portsmouth. The gravesite is now a car park.

RESTORED GRAVESITES

In the last 10 years alone, military historians, researchers and veterans‘ groups have found and restored the gravesites of 10 VC winners originally committed to paupers‘ graves.

The 16th Battalion, Manitoba Regiment, (Canadian Scottish) was awarded 12 Victoria Crosses in the First World War -- double any other unit.

Canadian Private William Johnstone, serving with the Canadian Scottish, was killed at Vimy Ridge on April 9, 1917. He was awarded a posthumous VC. He has no known grave. His name is inscribed on the Vimy Memorial.

Canadian Scottish Col. Cyrus Wesley Peck was awarded a VC for courage at Villers-les-Cagnicourt, France, on Sept. 2, 1918. Colonel Peck is the only man in the world to win a VC while serving as an elected legislator. He was elected to the Canadian House of Commons in 1917.

Around the world there are only 17 living recipients -- seven in England, four Gurkhas in Nepal, two Australians, two Indians, one South African and one Canadian -- "Smokey" Smith. Their average age is 84.

Next week: "Smokey" Smith VC

Some Additions:
The Victoria Cross. The highest order of bravery is required to win this elusive medal. Three were won by the members of the Royal Canadian Dragoons at the Battle of Leliefontein in South Africa.

Lieutenant H.Z.C. Cockburn
Lieut. Cockburn, with a handful of men, at a most critical moment held off the Boers to allow the guns to get away; to do so he had to sacrifice himself and his party, all of whom were killed wounded, or taken prisoners, he himself being slightly wounded.

Lieutenant R. E. W. Turner
Later in the day when the Boers again seriously threatened to capture the guns, Lieut. Turner, although twice previously wounded, dismounted and deployed his men at close quarters and drove off the Boers, thus saving the guns.

Sergeant E.J. Holland
Sgt. Holland did splendid work with his Colt gun, and kept the Boers off the two 12-pounders by its fire at close range. When he saw the enemy were too near for him to escape with the carriage, he calmly lifted the gun off and galloped away with it under his arm.

Yes, but now it‘s a completely Canadian version, minted by Canada. I believe it‘s inscribed "Pour Valour" (I think I got that right).

It is my impression that the standard required for the award of the VC has been pushed from a high one at its inception to an almost mythological one now.

Any thoughts?

Smokey Smith was from my regiment, he still comes around for all the eents. His full time job now is travelling the world for VC and war events (and he wears our Glengarry and cap badge verywhere he goes. He keeps losing them in strange places, and has to get new ones all the time).
It‘s amazing how pompous the Order of Canada looks beside the Victoria Cross. The VC is the most unassuming medal I‘ve ever seen.

Interetsing tho - Smokey was demoted something like 6 times in WW2. The vets that served with him still speak of him with awe, he was an amazing combat soldier.
I‘ve been told he fought most of the Italian campaign for free because he was on charge for most of it, and when they were going to give him his VC in Rome he had to be locked up because he kept sneaking out the bars. He‘s regarded as a true junior ranker.

There‘s still friction between him and the CO of the unit at that time, 60 years later.
Smokey‘s an amazing guy, and still going strong.

then again, all the vets are amazing.

The Canadian version of the VC is inscribed with the Latin "Pro Valore".
I think we have one of Jack Mahony‘s sitting in our Museum. It is so plain, yet it will captivate any soldier‘s gaze.

Further to the VC winners.
There are two buried in Fort MacLeod, Alta.
One is General Harvey. His grave is not well cared for as it is in the old section of the cemetery. About 6 grave sites from him is another vet and we believe him to be a VC winner as well. However, since he has no headstone we can not come up with his name. Anyone have any ideas?

Mr Walford,

Go to:

http://www.chapter-one.com/vc/default.asp

The Victoria Cross Reference.

If you cannot find the relevent information on the site, send them a message.

Yours,
Jock in Sydney

'Top honour' now cast in Canada
MURRAY CAMPBELL

From Saturday's Globe and Mail

E-mail Murray Campbell | Read Bio | Latest Columns
A Victoria Cross medal has been produced in Canada for the first time and sources believe it will be presented by the Queen at a ceremony in April marking the 90th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge.

The launch will not only restore the decoration to the top of Canada's military honours system, but also end a controversy that raged in the 1980s and 1990s about whether an award of British origin had a place in Canada.

The VC has been awarded just 1,350 times since it was instituted by Queen Victoria after the Crimean War in the 1850s. Of those, 94 were handed out to people serving with the Canadian military – the first in 1856 and the last in 1945. Canada's last living recipient, Ernest (Smokey) Smith, died last year.

Each of the Canadians received a VC cast by Hancock, a jewellery store in London. Canada assumed responsibility for the decoration in 1993 but it has not been awarded or even produced in that time.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070302.wxcross03/BNStory/Front/home

Great news! :cdnsalute:

The only way a person will get the Canadian VC now, in my opinion will be posthumously.

Top military honour now cast in Canada: report

Updated Sat. Mar. 3 2007 9:40 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A Victoria Cross medal has been produced in Canada for the first time, and there are reports it will be presented by the Queen in April.

The Globe and Mail reported Saturday that Queen Elizabeth will present the medal at a ceremony marking the 90th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge in France.

The move would restore the medal -- awarded just 1,350 times since it was installed by Queen Victoria in the 1850s after the Crimean War -- to the top spot in Canada's list of military decorations.

Only 94 Canadians have received the medal.

The Victoria Cross was first awarded to a Canadian in 1856, and most recently in 1945. None of the recipients are still living.

In the past, the medals were cast by Hancock, a London jewellery retailer, but a source has told The Globe the medal has now been designed and produced in Canada for the first time.

Emmanuelle Sajous, deputy herald chancellor at Rideau Hall, said it would be at least a couple of weeks before final decisions are made about how the made-in-Canada Victoria Cross will be presented to the public.

"Nothing is confirmed," Sajous said. "We don't have any details about how and who and where and when. There are a lot of options and a lot of different events being planned."

The departments of Veterans' Affairs, Defence, Canadian Heritage and Natural Resources - along with the Royal Canadian Mint have all been involved in the design.

Military historian Jack Granatstein told The Globe the physical reinstatement of the Victoria Cross is a milestone for Canada.

"There is clearly an attachment to the VC as a pretty scarce gallantry award," said the former director-general of the Canadian War Museum.

"It will be a continuation of the past and it will be done in a Canadian context. I guess in a sense it's the capping of the Canadian honours system so I think it's a good thing."

Government sources have told The Globe the medal will be presented to Prime Minister Stephen Harper by the Queen at the Vimy Ridge ceremony in recognition of the gallantry of the Unknown Soldier, whose remains rest in a tomb next to the National War Memorial in Ottawa.

The soldier, whose body was exhumed from a cemetery near Vimy Ridge in 2000, was one of 1,603 unidentified Canadian troops who died in the First World War battle.

The battle, which took place on April 9, 1917, is often considered a key moment in Canada's military history. Roughly 10,000 Canadians were wounded and 3,598 of those succumbed to their injuries.

The ceremony in April will serve two purposes. It will commemorate the anniversary of the battle and serve as the dedication for the newly restored Canadian National Vimy Memorial.

The Royal Canadian Legion has lobbied the government for years to reinstate the medal which was put aside in 1972 in favour of a Canadian honours system.

The move to design and cast the medal in Canada should put an end to years of controversy over whether Canadian soldiers should receive an award that has British origins.

The Canadian VC is awarded for "most conspicuous bravery, a daring or pre-eminent act of valour or self-sacrifice or extreme devotion to duty in the presence of the enemy."

There are few differences between the Canadian and British medals. The Canadian decoration can be revoked and it bears the Latin inscription Pro Valore rather than For Valour.

The British medals are cast from bronze of Chinese origin that was used in Russian cannons captured at the conclusion of the Crimean War, but there is no word yet on what type of metal will be used to make the Canadian medals.

i thought this might be of interest to some here, i wonder who is casting it and what it will be made of, and if and when the first one will be awarded to a Canadian soldier.

Sometime ago I wrote the RCL about the possible awarding of a Canadian VC to the Unknown Soldier. Seemed appropriate to me at least but the legion was adamant about not awarding any honours to the Unknown Soldier. While I respect the wishes of the Legion on this it does seem like a missed opportunity.

AJFitzpatrick said:
Sometime ago I wrote the RCL about the possible awarding of a Canadian VC to the Unknown Soldier. Seemed appropriate to me at least but the legion was adamant about not awarding any honours to the Unknown Soldier. While I respect the wishes of the Legion on this it does seem like a missed opportunity.

A thoughtful jester AJ but you have to think of the symbolic representation. The unknown soldier has already been 'given' an honour which could arguably surpass the significance of the VC. The unknown now rests at Canada's most important war monument and represents all the war dead of Canada. In essence he is no longer an individual, but a tangible and respectable link to all those which have lost their identity.

Now contrast that to the nature of the VC which rewards individuals for "most conspicuous bravery, a daring or pre-eminent act of valour or self-sacrifice or extreme devotion to duty in the presence of the enemy". Key words here being individual and act. Off the top of my head I can't think of a single instance where the VC was awarded to a unit, and I am not to comfortable with breaking that tradition and awarding the VC to all of Canada. I think it demeans the value of the VC (just my opinion).

Now going back to the Unknown Soldier. What we celebrate with the unknown soldier is not an individual nor an individual act, but the collective deeds, of thousands of our ancestors which helped shaped this country. Gathering to remember is the highest honour (IMHO of course) we could give those soldiers. Going beyond this honour seems like an act of vanity

I respect that viewpoint but consider that the British Unknown Soldier was awarded the VC (as well as the US medal of Honor) as was the American WWI unknown soldier so there is precedence. Also, consider it an award for the unrecorded acts deserving of the VC of which there were many.

EDIT:
"Government sources have told The Globe the medal will be presented to Prime Minister Stephen Harper by the Queen at the Vimy Ridge ceremony in recognition of the gallantry of the Unknown Soldier, whose remains rest in a tomb next to the National War Memorial in Ottawa."

One of these days I'll actually read an entire article  :-[

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070303/victoria_cross_070303/20070303?hub=Canada

Top military honour now cast in Canada: report

Updated Sat. Mar. 3 2007 9:40 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A Victoria Cross medal has been produced in Canada for the first time, and there are reports it will be presented by the Queen in April.

The Globe and Mail reported Saturday that Queen Elizabeth will present the medal at a ceremony marking the 90th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge in France.

The move would restore the medal -- awarded just 1,350 times since it was installed by Queen Victoria in the 1850s after the Crimean War -- to the top spot in Canada's list of military decorations.

Only 94 Canadians have received the medal.

The Victoria Cross was first awarded to a Canadian in 1856, and most recently in 1945. None of the recipients are still living.

In the past, the medals were cast by Hancock, a London jewellery retailer, but a source has told The Globe the medal has now been designed and produced in Canada for the first time.

Emmanuelle Sajous, deputy herald chancellor at Rideau Hall, said it would be at least a couple of weeks before final decisions are made about how the made-in-Canada Victoria Cross will be presented to the public.

"Nothing is confirmed," Sajous said. "We don't have any details about how and who and where and when. There are a lot of options and a lot of different events being planned."

The departments of Veterans' Affairs, Defence, Canadian Heritage and Natural Resources -- along with the Royal Canadian Mint -- have all been involved in the design.

Military historian Jack Granatstein told The Globe the physical reinstatement of the Victoria Cross is a milestone for Canada.

"There is clearly an attachment to the VC as a pretty scarce gallantry award," said the former director-general of the Canadian War Museum.

"It will be a continuation of the past and it will be done in a Canadian context. I guess in a sense it's the capping of the Canadian honours system so I think it's a good thing."

Government sources have told The Globe the medal will be presented to Prime Minister Stephen Harper by the Queen at the Vimy Ridge ceremony in recognition of the gallantry of the Unknown Soldier, whose remains rest in a tomb next to the National War Memorial in Ottawa.

The soldier, whose body was exhumed from a cemetery near Vimy Ridge in 2000, was one of 1,603 unidentified Canadian troops who died in the First World War battle.

The battle, which took place on April 9, 1917, is often considered a key moment in Canada's military history. Roughly 10,000 Canadians were wounded and 3,598 of those succumbed to their injuries.

The ceremony in April will serve two purposes. It will commemorate the anniversary of the battle and serve as the dedication for the newly restored Canadian National Vimy Memorial.

The Royal Canadian Legion has lobbied the government for years to reinstate the medal, which was put aside in 1972 in favour of a Canadian honours system.

The move to design and cast the medal in Canada should put an end to years of controversy over whether Canadian soldiers should receive an award that has British origins.

The Canadian VC is awarded for "most conspicuous bravery, a daring or pre-eminent act of valour or self-sacrifice or extreme devotion to duty in the presence of the enemy."

There are few differences between the Canadian and British medals. The Canadian decoration can be revoked and it bears the Latin inscription Pro Valore rather than For Valour.

The British medals are cast from bronze of Chinese origin that was used in Russian cannons captured at the conclusion of the Crimean War, but there is no word yet on what type of metal will be used to make the Canadian medals.

Interesting indeed.

Can anyone shed some light on why there would be a revocation clause with the presentation of this award?

Up to the 1920's the original could be revoked as well for "discreditable acts". This was changed by George V by Royal fiat and the 8 revoked VC were subsequently reinstated. The majority of the "discreditable acts" were theft, although there was a case of bigamy and two cases of desertion.

No idea why the Canadian version should be revokable but perhaps since the Order of Canada can be revoked (Hello Alan Eagleson and David Ahenakew) the VC needs to potentially be revokable as well.

AJFitzpatrick said:
Up to the 1920's the original could be revoked as well for "discreditable acts". This was changed by George V by Royal fiat and the 8 revoked VC were subsequently reinstated. The majority of the "discreditable acts" were theft, although there was a case of bigamy and two cases of desertion.

I agree with the King that even if a man was to die for any crime (other then treason or high Treason) he should be allowed to wear the VC to the Hanging

I wonder if the presentation of this medal will open the gates to awarding some to our heros in the Afghanistan op? It certainly sounded like some of the guys who got the Star of Valour qualified.

Back