• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Voluntary Occupational Transfer ( VOT )

Eye In The Sky said:
WRT to the LDA...regardless of where you are employed, you will (should/could) be posted to the BTL, unless the format has changed it should be detailed in Para 2 of your VOT Instruction.  If that holds true, you won't get the LDA regardless of where you are doing OJE.

Not according to the BTL clerk. If she attach posts me to the construction troop at 2CER I will get to keep my LDA, hence the reason she informed me that she could post me there if I could find someone willing to take me on as an apprentice. If not, she said I'd likely be tasked with Base CE as they are in need of help and I would not get LDA. Nevertheless, I will confirm that she has her facts straight. I appreciate the heads up.

Bradboy said:
Not according to the BTL clerk. If she attach posts me to the construction troop at 2CER I will get to keep my LDA, hence the reason she informed me that she could post me there if I could find someone willing to take me on as an apprentice. If not, she said I'd likely be tasked with Base CE as they are in need of help and I would not get LDA. Nevertheless, I will confirm that she has her facts straight. I appreciate the heads up.

From what the IC BnOR told me a few days ago, you're only eligible for LDA if your attached posting goes beyond 6 months. I was hoping the same!

I would like to know where they are getting the 6 months from as its not in the CBI.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits/ch-205-officer-ncm-allowance-rates.page

205.33 – Land Duty Allowance (LDA)

205.33(1) (Definition) The definitions in this paragraph apply to this instruction.

accumulated eligible service - means any period during which a member was posted to a field unit or serving in a position designated by the Chief of the Defence Staff – or by an officer designated by the Chief of the Defence Staff - for the purpose of this instruction to the standard established in orders or instructions issued by the Chief of the Defence Staff. In addition, periods of service prior to 1 April 2007 with a field unit will also count toward eligible service calculation when determining level of Land Duty Allowance.

Field unit - means a unit, whose primary role is combat manoeuvre and training for operations or combat support and combat service support to the combat manoeuvre units. Canadian Forces personnel in these units can expect, as part of their normal duties, to be exposed to austere environmental and work conditions for extensive periods of time on a regular basis. These units will be equipped with field equipment, vehicles and stores for this role.

Posted means posted to, attach posted to, called out or serving on full-time service.

205.33(2) (Eligibility) A member of the Regular Force or the Reserve Force on Class B or C Reserve Service posted to a field unit or any such unit, or serving in a position designated by the Chief of the Defence Staff – or by an officer designated by the Chief of the Defence Staff - or serving in a position designated by the Minister for the purpose of this instruction, is entitled to Land Duty Allowance at the monthly rate set out in the Table to this instruction for the member's accumulated eligible service.

205.33(3) (Limitation) A member who is paid an allowance under CBI 10.3.05 (Hardship Allowance) or CBI 10.3.07 (Risk Allowance) is not entitled to be paid Land Duty Allowance under this instruction unless the member occupies a position designated by the Chief of the Defence Staff in accordance with CBI 10.3.08 (Environmental Allowances).

205.33(4) Repealed by TB, Effective 1 April 2011

205.33(5) (Points) The calculation of points corresponding to accumulated eligible service in the Table to this instruction shall be determined in accordance with paragraphs (3) and (4) in CBI 205.015 (Interpretation).

205.33(6) (Start and End Dates) Entitlement to Land Duty Allowance starts on the day on which the member reports for duty and ends on the earliest day on which the member:

departs the unit as defined in CBI 205.015 (Interpretation is assigned a permanent medical category with medical employment limitation indicating unfit field environment; begins retirement leave; is posted to the Service Personnel Holding List; sick leave is extended for more than 180 days; or is subject to paragraph 3, attach posted in excess of 6 months.

(TB, effective 1 April 2007)

Eye In The Sky said:
I would like to know where they are getting the 6 months from as its not in the CBI.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits/ch-205-officer-ncm-allowance-rates.page

205.33 – Land Duty Allowance (LDA)

205.33(1) (Definition) The definitions in this paragraph apply to this instruction.

accumulated eligible service means any period during which a member was posted to a field unit or serving in a position designated by the Chief of the Defence Staff – or by an officer designated by the Chief of the Defence Staff - for the purpose of this instruction to the standard established in orders or instructions issued by the Chief of the Defence Staff. In addition, periods of service prior to 1 April 2007 with a field unit will also count toward eligible service calculation when determining level of Land Duty Allowance.

Field unit means a unit, whose primary role is combat manoeuvre and training for operations or combat support and combat service support to the combat manoeuvre units. Canadian Forces personnel in these units can expect, as part of their normal duties, to be exposed to austere environmental and work conditions for extensive periods of time on a regular basis. These units will be equipped with field equipment, vehicles and stores for this role.

Posted means posted to, attach posted to, called out or serving on full-time service.

205.33(2) (Eligibility) A member of the Regular Force or the Reserve Force on Class B or C Reserve Service posted to a field unit or any such unit, or serving in a position designated by the Chief of the Defence Staff – or by an officer designated by the Chief of the Defence Staff - or serving in a position designated by the Minister for the purpose of this instruction, is entitled to Land Duty Allowance at the monthly rate set out in the Table to this instruction for the member's accumulated eligible service.

205.33(3) (Limitation) A member who is paid an allowance under CBI 10.3.05 (Hardship Allowance) or CBI 10.3.07 (Risk Allowance) is not entitled to be paid Land Duty Allowance under this instruction unless the member occupies a position designated by the Chief of the Defence Staff in accordance with CBI 10.3.08 (Environmental Allowances).

205.33(4) Repealed by TB, Effective 1 April 2011

205.33(5) (Points) The calculation of points corresponding to accumulated eligible service in the Table to this instruction shall be determined in accordance with paragraphs (3) and (4) in CBI 205.015 (Interpretation).

205.33(6) (Start and End Dates) Entitlement to Land Duty Allowance starts on the day on which the member reports for duty and ends on the earliest day on which the member:

departs the unit as defined in CBI 205.015 (Interpretationis assigned a permanent medical category with medical employment limitation indicating unfit field environment;begins retirement leave;is posted to the Service Personnel Holding List;sick leave is extended for more than 180 days; oris subject to paragraph 3, attach posted in excess of 6 months.

(TB, effective 1 April 2007)

I have no idea, to be honest, where the 6 months figure was coming from, but I've heard it from a few different folks.

The CBI seems pretty clear to me.  I highlighted the relevant parts yellow.  I'd go get the OR to check their ref's.

Seems like there reading too much into the last line, which read in its whole means your LDA stops if youre attach posted OUT for more than 6 months, not starting after 6 months of being there. For ATTENTION Roto 1, they made sure everyone was properly attach posted to 2RCR so they could get LDA for all of the predeployment, and it started day 1.

Thanks for the reference Eye.

The BTL clerk didn't get into any specifics about how long I would be attach posted to the construction troop. She was just giving me the heads up that she had the ability to attach post me there if that's what I would prefer and that I would keep my LDA. So I assume that I would be attach posted there until I go onto the Const Tech Apprentice course in Gagetown. It looks like there's a course starting this September so I may very well be loaded onto that course, meaning I probably won't get an attach posting and lose my LDA. If I'm not course loaded for this September, I'm hoping for the attach posting to 2CER construction troop until the following September. I believe they only run one course a year according to the Army National Calendar.

Anywho, I've got some questions to ask the clerk on Monday at least. While I'm prepared to lose LDA, it'd be nice to keep it. Especially because I go to level 3 next month!  ;D

Get the AP even if you are on the 3s in Sept.  LDA is LDA, and now you have the ref to show you get it if you are attached posted to 2 CER on the day you RFD.  8) 

Will do. I'll post up what the outcome is for future reference. Thanks again for the info.

WRT LDA or on the navy side of the house for SDA, If you are attached to a field going unit or sea going unit you are eligible for the pay, the 6 month thing however is if you are attached out of said unit for longer than 6 months then you lose the allowance. Usually effective immediatley.

Poor Clerk, im hoping it comes soon for you

Anyone receive their Official "Instruction yet"

Bradboy said:
No VOT instruction for me yet. I hope it comes soon dammit!

Agreed. If there was something I could do about it, I would totally do that thing, but there's no thing so I'll just sit here and do my own thing.

Nothing yet CBR. Im guessing those will be fired off a hell of a lot quicker though. Inside a week or two

Good morning fellow trade hoppers

Funny story, someone once called me a trade hopper because I CT'd from armoured reserves to armoured reg force.

Anyway... nothing in Edmonton.

FML

Back