• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Voluntary Occupational Transfer ( VOT )

• Thread starter Thread starter wackymax
  • Start date Start date
Castus said:
My offer came in for Int Op (Air). I'm hoping that I can switch the element to Land but, if not, I'm going for it. Good luck for all those still waiting!

Congrats.  I have a buddy who was a Herbie and went Int Op (Air), seems to not mind it so far, on his 2nd posting.  WRT to the RCAF, after awhile you get used to the naps, hugging and pillows mints.

Eye In The Sky said:
Congrats.  I have a buddy who was a Herbie and went Int Op (Air), seems to not mind it so far, on his 2nd posting.  WRT to the RCAF, after awhile you get used to the naps, hugging and pillows mints.

Not to mention the 5 star accommodations when deployed.  :nod:

The Accn are definitely better on TDs, and on deployments the accn standards (for aircrew) are as good as it gets with A/C, hard shelters (where I was) with blacked-out windows and 'quiet areas', 2 to a room.

The  F9 Key on the keyboard is Send/Receive when you have email open.

So I have placed a bottle of water upside down on the F9 key, now its checking emails at an alarming rate.

Eye In The Sky said:
The Accn are definitely better on TDs, and on deployments the accn standards (for aircrew) are as good as it gets with A/C, hard shelters (where I was) with blacked-out windows and 'quiet areas', 2 to a room.

True. That being said, I am far more comfortable with land and land doctrine. I'm more inclined towards it and I have a year's OJE training as a pseudo-Int Op in an infantry battalion. I want to go Army Int O, at some point - assuming that I was not selected for this year (which appears to be the case, though I've not heard back WRT UTPNCM yet). So while RCAF may be gucci, I'd be a better asset to the CAF in the Army. I'm not sure how one goes about requesting a DEU change, if it's before or after one accepts an OT offer, but I'm going to look into it.

I got my offer last week and accepted.... but now I'm waiting for the final "yup its real, go ahead and take your army stuff back" message. It won't feel final until I get that message...

In the meantime I have linked up with my base's BTL and they gave me the low-down as to what to do. I also stopped at base clothing and got my list of kit to return when that last message does come in. The change over is dated for July 15th. Since summer block leave starts June 27th, that doesn't leave much time to get it all sorted out (getting air force due's, blue name tags, etc) since most people on base will be on leave after that.

Speaking of which....has anyone seen any ATIS guys with BLUE RCCS epaulettes? I'm guessing I'll have to try to get some blue "Signals" or CANADA ones in the meantime... just not sure where to find any of that in Petawawa...

Isn't RCCS Army-DEU only? I've only ever seen blue or black Canada for Navy/AF Sigs types.

Castus said:
True. That being said, I am far more comfortable with land and land doctrine. I'm more inclined towards it and I have a year's OJE training as a pseudo-Int Op in an infantry battalion. I want to go Army Int O, at some point - assuming that I was not selected for this year (which appears to be the case, though I've not heard back WRT UTPNCM yet). So while RCAF may be gucci, I'd be a better asset to the CAF in the Army. I'm not sure how one goes about requesting a DEU change, if it's before or after one accepts an OT offer, but I'm going to look into it.

The colour of your DEU does not matter much in INT.  I have a friend who CT'd to INT OP as Air and his first posting: 3 PPCLI.  The fact that you may feel more comfortable in the Army as INT makes no difference as you will be expected to know all three Elements.

I never saw an ATIS Tech with Army Signals type slip ons.  Canada was all I wore as a 226er.  You are in a bit of a weird spot, part of the C & E branch but thought of as RCAF.

George Wallace said:
The colour of your DEU does not matter much in INT.  I have a friend who CT'd to INT OP as Air and his first posting: 3 PPCLI.  The fact that you may feel more comfortable in the Army as INT makes no difference as you will be expected to know all three Elements.

Part 2 of the 5s is (was?) environmental specific though, and was supposed to prep the mbr for their first posting.  Has this changed?

George Wallace said:

Understood. I have a friend who OTed to Int Op, did the air phase and is now employed at an Army based collection centre in Ottawa. That being said - beyond the common phase, there is element specific training. If I could stick with Army and further enhance that knowledge, I do think I'd be more useful. Ultimately, it is unlikely to be up to me.

Castus said:
Understood. I have a friend who OTed to Int Op, did the air phase and is now employed at an Army based collection centre in Ottawa. That being said - beyond the common phase, there is element specific training. If I could stick with Army and further enhance that knowledge, I do think I'd be more useful. Ultimately, it is unlikely to be up to me.

INT Branch can not make up its mind.  Currently, only the Reserves are actually Army centric.  The Reg Force is constantly swaying back and forth between being totally "Purple" and covering all Elements and separating into three distinct Elements.  Every course they run is a "Pilot Course".  No two crses will be the same.

Interesting - I didn't know that, although I've heard that there are "changes" going on within the branch. Whatever that means.

Eye In The Sky said:
I never saw an ATIS Tech with Army Signals type slip ons.  Canada was all I wore as a 226er.  You are in a bit of a weird spot, part of the C & E branch but thought of as RCAF.

I just assumed that they would have a "Signals" epaulette at least...and I assumed since they were part of the branch that they may also become RCCS.... 

That's what I like about Air... they don't feel a need to waste money on something that ain't broken.

Daywalker said:
That's what I like about Air... they don't feel a need to waste money on something that ain't broken.

Just wait until you get your pearl grey ranks. The RCAF (<--- another) is not immune from buttons and bows changes.

Back