• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Waiting Game

Xylric

Inactive
Reaction score
What luck that as a twin, I've participated in a number of research studies which meant I had to lie in an MRI for six hours, explicitly asked to try to not to think of anything. I wrote the CFAT on Feb 8 and passed sufficiently for the roles I was most interested in (NWO and Pilot), and was told that they would get back to me in about four weeks. It's now been seven. Given that I was also told that my CFAT scores were pretty much average for those trying for an officer role, I'm far from surprised if the reason why I haven't been contacted for anything further is because they wanted to prioritize stronger candidates.

Given that one of my core hobbies is military history (especially Canadian Naval history, considering that my paternal great great grandfather was a shipwright who helped build her first line of ships), this is something which I understand perfectly. I just wanted to encourage everyone in a similar position to myself to go find something else to do while you wait. If you spend the time waiting learn a skill which is in high demand, you'll only appear to be a stronger candidate in the long run. As for me, I'm taking a graduate-level class in Cybersecurity.

Heya Xylric,
I'm assuming your waiting on an offer for NWO; same here. I'm currently learning French and whipping myself into shape while I'm waiting for that offer. I can't help myself from getting anxious though: checking my phone every minute, my inbox, these forums if anyone got their call... :Tin-Foil-Hat:

No, actually. All I've done is write the CFAT. I'm waiting for them to get back to me about when to go in for Medical.

Hopefully.

At least if this doesn't pan out, I have my current position as the CEO of a start-up to fall back on. While it's true that to join the CAF, I'd have to give up that role, the reality is that I've set things up to make myself as redundant as possible so that it would survive if I had to appoint a replacement.

Of course, the fact that it's based in the US is likely a problem, but I'll deal with that when it matters.

gazorpazorpfield said:
Heya Xylric,
I'm assuming your waiting on an offer for NWO; same here. I'm currently learning French and whipping myself into shape while I'm waiting for that offer. I can't help myself from getting anxious though: checking my phone every minute, my inbox, these forums if anyone got their call... :Tin-Foil-Hat:
I think starting next week there will be more phone calls with offers. Last I checked for my trade  positions from 17/18 year were still open and the recruiter said selections could have been done this week. It's now Easter weekend so we can rest the weekend knowing we won't get any news until Tuesday at the earliest! I won't have to keep checking my phone for a few days. 😆

unicornteacher said:
I think starting next week there will be more phone calls with offers. Last I checked for my trade  positions from 17/18 year were still open and the recruiter said selections could have been done this week. It's now Easter weekend so we can rest the weekend knowing we won't get any news until Tuesday at the earliest! I won't have to keep checking my phone for a few days. 😆
Time to turn off for a bit. Getting tired of constantly refreshing my inbox and the forums for the latest news. Btw, are there any other resources beside this site? The CF reddit is pretty crap. ???

gazorpazorpfield said:
Getting tired of constantly refreshing my inbox and the forums for the latest news.

Oh boy, do I ever know that feel...

LegioXEquestris said:
Nah, it's the CFRG.  :Tin-Foil-Hat:

I only wish; all I can say is I didn't have gray hair prior to working in recruiting...

Buck_HRA said:
I only wish; all I can say is I didn't have gray hair prior to working in recruiting...

All the stress with raising children magnified significantly, I bet?

Xylric said:
All the stress with raising children magnified significantly, I bet?
No children, it's all on Recruiting :)

I didn't thought it could be real long because I got an offer within weeks back when I applied for ROTP for civilian university. Now I regret waiting a little bit and not applying right away when I graduated.  :'(

I may need to back out of my application - I took a bad spill while running and am waiting to hear back about how badly I injured my knee. While I'm optimistic, the reality is my grandfather had been drafted by the NHL back in the late 1940s, and ended up missing the chance entirely because the rival team from his last college game decided they were sick of him and went directly for his knee, so it's a slightly personal concern on my end. Hockey was, after all, his life (though I will admit that he likely met and married my grandmother because that window closed, so I guess it's a matter of perspective).

Xylric said:
I may need to back out of my application - I took a bad spill while running and am waiting to hear back about how badly I injured my knee. While I'm optimistic, the reality is my grandfather had been drafted by the NHL back in the late 1940s, and ended up missing the chance entirely because the rival team from his last college game decided they were sick of him and went directly for his knee, so it's a slightly personal concern on my end. Hockey was, after all, his life (though I will admit that he likely met and married my grandmother because that window closed, so I guess it's a matter of perspective).

If your experiencing physical issues, definitely wait until you heal up. Don't give up your body for your job.

Remarkable timing - just after I was told that I'd merely pulled a muscle and that I'd be fine in a few days, I got an e-mail telling me that I need to complete air-crew selection. Heh. I'd begun to focus on my NWO application, so this is a very nice surprise.

The waiting game is the worst part. You lose more and more faith in yourself every single day, especially since I am on a timeline that's drawing to a close...

Back