• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Walts, posers & wannabes (merged)

I was looking at some guys a while ago who were clearly military, but in civilian dress. I had a thought pass through my mind; "Military walting as civilians", almost worth it's own thread.  :)

Colin P said:
I was looking at some guys a while ago who were clearly military, but in civilian dress. I had a thought pass through my mind; "Military walting as civilians", almost worth it's own thread.  :)

It's been a blog for a couple years.

http://lookatmyfuckingarmybag.blogspot.ca/

Colin P said:

I know who you're talking about. Those guys that hang out like mall rats, dressed with their course t-shirts, or in the case of officers out at the pub, in their nice khaki slacks.

Walking around Kingston they are easy to spot.

Brihard said:
It's been a blog for a couple years.

http://lookatmyfuckingarmybag.blogspot.ca/
Forgotten how harsh this guy can be ...

I'd be interested to see how this would play out if it goes to the Supreme Court.

Non of this helps when anyone can walk into an Army Surplus and walk out with a full set of CF Greens and in many cases, with Rank still on them. I've seen it and all that one needs are the buttons and if you know what you need, they are easy to get too.

Poser alert:

http://battlefordsdailynews.com/afghan-war-vet-from-hafford-says-canadians-made-a-positive-difference-there/

Sadly, there is a clear element of sketchy attached to this persons story. It even burns me more that he is wearing the RCMS cap badge.

Anybody know this fellow? I know many of the medical folk from 2009 / 10 and do know know this chap... Why is he wearing UN Cyprus before his Sacrifice Medal? Anyone care to share with with the RCMS Association for comment? (as I am not on Facebook). 

If you have an e-mail for him, I would enjoy shooting him an e-mail asking for clarification. 

MC

Hunter said:
Poser alert:

http://battlefordsdailynews.com/afghan-war-vet-from-hafford-says-canadians-made-a-positive-difference-there/

The Diamond Jubilee Medal
Rodriguez, Master Corporal Byron, C.D.

TILBURY, Ontario [CANADA]

MedCorps said:
Sadly, there is a clear element of sketchy attached to this persons story. It even burns me more that he is wearing the RCMS cap badge.

Anybody know this fellow? I know many of the medical folk from 2009 / 10 and do know know this chap... Why is he wearing UN Cyprus before his Sacrifice Medal? Anyone care to share with with the RCMS Association for comment? (as I am not on Facebook). 

If you have an e-mail for him, I would enjoy shooting him an e-mail asking for clarification. 

MC

It's getting lots of play in the RCMS group. The gist: he's over stating history.

His Facebook does have 2 tours of pictures, and I have mutual friends who I know deployed on TF1-10. The Cyprus medal is curious, because he would have been born in 1962. When did we leave Cyprus? The medals are clearly in the wrong order regardless. 3 tours should be 2 bars on GCS-SWA as well, unless he hit the minimums or was med repat (likely if sacrifice medal was legit).

Here are my concerns...

1) Cyprus medal before the SM.

2) If you enlarge the photo, under his hand, it looks like there is even another medal before Cyprus.

3) Tours in 2009 and 2010... again, I know a lot of people in who deployed in this time period as I was quite active in this space during these dates.  I do not know this fellow.  If notable wounding occurred ("got my nose partially amputated, I got shot in the leg") during this period, I am truly surprised I do not know him / of his situation. The nose amputation is very Cpl. Topham, a story which most Med Tech's know from their time at the School.

4) His quote, "Oh my goodness. In 2008 I lost 15 good friends. Twelve of them I put in bodybags to send home"... meh... I am skeptical of this.... 12 is a lot of good friends to have placed in body bags, and I have personally placed / handled a number of people in body bags in Afghanistan. Now, don't get me wrong, 2008 was a bad year for the CAF in Afghanistan with 32 killed (including two from the RCMS), the chance at putting 38% of these folks in body bags personally is low.

Now... I would like to be proven wrong (as I have countless times before)... so please do... and I will publicly recant my skepticism. 

MC 

He would be entitled to CPSM if he's entitled to Cyprus, and its a senior medal to all but sacrifice and GCS.

Hunter said:
Poser alert:

The math is what got me. While I do know a few guys that did multiple tours none did three years in a row. What he did a tour in 2008 came home straight to 6 months work up training for the next tour in 2009 to do it over again for 2010. Is it even possible to do three straight tours year after year

With waivers and a CO to sign them, yes. Quite a few Sigs folks ended up with multiple tours in a short time-span, because we were so short.

fake penguin said:
The math is what got me. While I do know a few guys that did multiple tours none did three years in a row. What he did a tour in 2008 came home straight to 6 months work up training for the next tour in 2009 to do it over again for 2010. Is it even possible to do three straight tours year after year

Certainly not as a reservist. There's some suggestion he never served RegF.

PuckChaser said:
With waivers and a CO to sign them, yes. Quite a few Sigs folks ended up with multiple tours in a short time-span, because we were so short.

Really?, that's crazy. Never knew that.

PuckChaser said:
He would be entitled to CPSM if he's entitled to Cyprus, and its a senior medal to all but sacrifice and GCS.

What about the Special Service Medal?

Could be a SSM, but should have CPSM if awarded Cyprus (which we can see). His public profile on Facebook doesn't show any medals pictures to verify the 6th medal. It's also odd that the medals were not mounted overlapping of he has 6, as unless you're a NFL linebacker, most don't have the chest space to display 6 without overlapping. Also seems to be a small gap between Cyprus and Sacrifice, possibly indicating they were not mounted together (or are incredibly poorly mounted).

PuckChaser said:
Could be a SSM, but should have CPSM if awarded Cyprus (which we can see). His public profile on Facebook doesn't show any medals pictures to verify the 6th medal. It's also odd that the medals were not mounted overlapping of he has 6, as unless you're a NFL linebacker, most don't have the chest space to display 6 without overlapping. Also seems to be a small gap between Cyprus and Sacrifice, possibly indicating they were not mounted together (or are incredibly poorly mounted).
The mostly-obscured one's edge looks about the right tone for the CPSM, looking at the DH&R site, and there's the bottom edges of two letters visible - perhaps C and E.

Back