• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Walts, posers & wannabes (merged)

Chief Stoker said:
This doesn't seem to be a problem in AUS or NZ where the practice is accepted and encouraged. People should stop being so self righteous and mind there own business unless its a clear case of exposing a Walt and even then some who have every right to wear their honors are being called out by the "experts".

Australia has no real policy on the subject, but accepts it by convention (http://www.rsl.org.au/Our-Services/Medals/The-Wearing-of-Medals-and-Decorations)

New Zealand accepts it and seems to have codified it (http://medalsreunitednz.co.nz/wearing-medals/)

The Royal British Legion accepts the practice, but does not encourage it.  From one of their websites:

The official position is that they should not be worn. However, it was generally accepted soon after the Great War that widows of the fallen wore their late husband's medals on the right breast on suitable occasions.

More recently it has become the custom for any family member to wear medals of deceased relations in this way, sometimes trying to give a complete family military history by wearing several groups.

Although understandable, it is officially incorrect. When several groups are worn, it does little for the dignity of the original owners.

The Legion takes a pragmatic view, and our Ceremonial Rules state:

'The official rules for wearing medals allow only official awards to be worn. Unofficial purchased medals and foreign medals which do not have the Sovereign's permission to be worn are not allowed. Standard Bearers, Parade Marshals and other officials on Legion duty are bound by this ruling and unofficial medals must not be worn when on Legion duty. The medals awarded to a deceased Service/ex-Service person may be worn on the right breast by a near relative (mother, father, sister, brother, wife, husband, daughter and son). Not more than one group should be worn by any individual'.

No action will be taken officially if anyone wears a relation's medals. In the Legion, this is banned for:

Standard Bearers
parade officials, and
as stated above for other members.

An alternative is to have the medals framed.

This is my grandson. Those are my miniatures. It is my duty to teach my grandson about Remembrance Day. Not the Legion's or his school's and not the government's job. It's my tasking and I'll do it as I think it should be done. Laws do not create or sustain Remembrance. That will be left to our children.

In the long run, that's what it's all about. Remembrance. Not someone's idea of what we should do, how we participate or what anyone else is wearing.

This, of course, does not include Walts.

Attachments

• Aiden Remembrance Day.jpg
    Aiden Remembrance Day.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 408
recceguy said:
This is my grandson. Those are my miniatures. It is my duty to teach my grandson about Remembrance Day. Not the Legion's or his school's and not the government's job. It's my tasking and I'll do it as I think it should be done. Laws do not create or sustain Remembrance. That will be left to our children.

In the long run, that's what it's all about. Remembrance. Not someone's idea of what we should do, how we participate or what anyone else is wearing.

Well said :remembrance:

recceguy said:

Better hope the Legion doesn't find out your grandson is guilty of copyright infringement with that poppy.... ::)

Lumber said:
Better hope the Legion doesn't find out your grandson is guilty of copyright infringement with that poppy.... ::)

That is a British poppy. A friend sourced them from the British Embassy if I'm not mistaken. I still maintain my 35+ year Legion membership and give the Branch $20\year for the Poppy Fund. Right now though, I'm severely pissed with the Legion, so this is my little protest.

Lumber said:

Actually, the RCL poppy trademark is specific to a design with four petals and a black centre.

Color is claimed as a feature of the mark. The petals are red and the center portion is black

http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/vwTrdmrk.do?lang=eng&status=OK&fileNumber=1094997&extension=0&startingDocumentIndexOnPage=11

Chief Stoker said:
This doesn't seem to be a problem in AUS or NZ where the practice is accepted and encouraged. People should stop being so self righteous and mind there own business unless its a clear case of exposing a Walt and even then some who have every right to wear their honors are being called out by the "experts".

I love the common sense approach here. I tried to justify this practice on here years ago but apparently I didn't have enough midpoints to be allowed to voice such an opinion.

X_para76 said:
I love the common sense approach here. I tried to justify this practice on here years ago but apparently I didn't have enough midpoints to be allowed to voice such an opinion.
You better put an emoticon with your post. Someone might think that you're being serious. Next thing  you know, you'll be getting grid references to lawn dart safe spaces and air force counselors.  [:p

BBC Magazine has a new (25 Nov 2016) article on Walts.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38085998

recceguy said:

RG I'm not sure that I'm 100% getting your sarcasm but I love your approach here. I couldn't agree more with everything you've said here.  :salute:

X_para76 said:
RG I'm not sure that I'm 100% getting your sarcasm but I love your approach here. I couldn't agree more with everything you've said here.  :salute:

Cheers everyone. :salute:

One more ...
A Smithville Legion executive member is expressing deep remorse as an investigation takes place over medals he wore that he didn’t earn.

Curtis Roush has resigned from his position as first vice president of the branch and volunteered to not enter any Royal Canadian Legion branch after it was discovered he likely didn’t earn two United States Navy medals he was pictured wearing.

“They’re probably right,” Roush said when asked about allegations he wore the Navy’s Purple Heart and U.S. Navy and Marine Corps Medals, despite not earning them.

“It’s something I deeply regret,” he said. “There are a lot of people there (at the Legion) that I respect.”

The local branch sent out letters to ordinary members – those who served for the Canadian military – in early December informing those members that Roush had been removed from his position and suspended while investigators look into whether or not he wore medals that he did not earn. Doing so can be a criminal offence under the Criminal Code of Canada. Roush was a First Vice President of the branch.

While Roush isn’t denying he wore the medals, he did say he doesn’t believe he broke the law.

In 2012 the U.S. Supreme Court struck down a law that made it a misdemeanor to wear medals one didn’t earn. The court ruled the law was a violation of the First Amendment for free speech. “I’m not saying what I did was right or wrong,” Roush said. “In a lot of ways it probably wasn’t.”

Stolen Valour Canada, with the help of its United States counterparts, conducted a review of all available records after being tipped off about Roush. Stolen Valour is a non-profit organization made up of veteran volunteers who aim to expose military imposters.

“Our findings indicate that Roush appears to be wearing medals, awards, military insignia and accouterments without meeting the legal requirements or having the qualifying service,” said the Stolen Valour Canada research team in an email.

Brent O’Connor, president of the Smithville Legion, declined comment ...
WL_DEC15_legion_fraud_SUB___Gallery.jpg

>:D

Attachments

• stolen valour payback.png
    stolen valour payback.png
    254.4 KB · Views: 391
"Sgt" Art Leonard.

This is blowing up on the facebook group Stolen Valour Canada.

His "story" is just incredible.
http://www.ipacanadaregion2.com/Roundup%20March%202016.pdf

This guy is the king of Canadian posers.  Barrie police held fundraisers to get this wanker a PTSD service dog.  He speaks all over the region, gives interviews etc. etc.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21728045@N08/sets/72157643392687973

Attachments

• art-leonard.jpg
    art-leonard.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 315
Tarlouth said:
"Sgt" Art Leonard.

This is blowing up on the facebook group Stolen Valour Canada.

His "story" is just incredible.
http://www.ipacanadaregion2.com/Roundup%20March%202016.pdf

This guy is the king of Canadian posers.  Barrie police held fundraisers to get this wanker a PTSD service dog.  He speaks all over the region, gives interviews etc. etc.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21728045@N08/sets/72157643392687973

He had quite a career. 

It appears that this guy joined in the navy and was a MP for a few years. Looks like some of the claims he made are true.

Jesus, I never realized I was Airborne material before....  stone cold.  :nod:  I have more canopy time in one of those than you can shake a stick at.  ;D

Back