• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wanna-be‘s / Posers

• Thread starter Thread starter R_J
  • Start date Start date
don't make fun of someones beret you look stupid if you do instead help the forces and Canada look better by telling him how to do it properly..............pro patria

Pallleease!   Some Capitals and punctuation.  It would have been so much easier to figure out what you said, if you would have used some.

redleafjumper said:
I believe that it is Cadet Instructors Cadre, not "corps".  The shaping berets comment is really an unfair sweeping generalization; not forming a beret properly is not limited to members in any one trade or component.

Correct on all three points.

George Wallace said:
Pallleease!   Some Capitals and punctuation.  It would have been so much easier to figure out what you said, if you would have used some.
And maybe some proper spelling also please ("Palleease"). ;) ;D ;D ;D

On the issue of CI's in uniforms, my understanding is that it is only authorized for summer training centers when the CI's are working under a longer term contract.  Throughout the normal training year at the LHQ, CI's should be dressed in appopriate civilian attire to present a polished and professional image while ensuring they are not mistaken for members of the CF, no different than any other contractor employed by the CF or DND.  The difference for employment at the CSTC's is the duration and nature of the contracts.  If a unit is asking the CI's to wear OG107 I'd be hard pressed to find justification for it, but ultimately the OC of the unit will make the determination on what they want to see.

Huh, funny I should stumble onto this topic.  I met my first "imposter" about a month ago.  Was taking my uncle to the mechanic to pick up his car.  Anyway, it wasnt ready yet, but we sparked a chat with one of the mechanics.  My uncle mentioned that I was in the military, and the mechanic says "That's great.  One of our guys is ex-JTF2"

I didn't think much of it, just said "oh yea?  Thats nice"  But then he calls the guy over.  So I start asking him how his service was in JTF2, and what years he was in.  He tells me he got in JTF2 in 1987 and left in 1991 right after serving in the first Gulf War.

I reminded him that JTF2 wasn't formed until 1993, at which point he winked and said "Thats what they want you to believe"

Didn't want to get into an argument since this was a garage my uncle went to all the time, so I just shook my head and walked away...

Lost_Warrior said:
He tells me he got in JTF2 in 1987 and left in 1991 right after serving in the first Gulf War.

I reminded him that JTF2 wasn't formed until 1993, at which point he winked and said "Thats what they want you to believe"

During the First Gulf War, that was JTF 1-  Clearly you didn't get the memo...... ;)

The definitive reference I have used in the past is QR&O (Cadets) 5.21 - the quote at the end of the noted section (single para.) is "civilian instructors shall not wear uniforms"

During the First Gulf War, that was JTF 1-  Clearly you didn't get the memo.....

I must have missed it while I was on covert_super_ninja_commando_sniper operations in Farnham ;)

Oh crap, wait...that wasnt the first time I met a poser!

davidhmd's reference to "SEAL" just reminded me of a LONG while ago.  I was strapped for cash and in between jobs so I did one of those weekend pharma studies (one where they test a drug for effects...crap like that..) for 1500$...long story, not proud of it, but when rent is due, it happens.

Anyway, one of the guys doing the study, probably around 40 some odd years old.  His waist was about the size of one of my legs.  Probably one of the most scrawney people I have ever met in my life.  the guy wasn't more than 5"4...and about 120 pounds.  The guy walked around with a SEAL cap on, telling stories about his times in the NAVY SEALS.

What struck me as funny was, a few weeks before, there was a special on TLC about some operation where the SEALS were in South America, and took some airport at night.  Cant remember exactly where, or what the mission entailed, but the guy must have seen it because he was going on and on about the operation, how hard it was...etc etc.

At the time I wasn't in the forces yet, but this guy had bull$hit written all over him.  What was funny was, one of the doctors who was in charge was talking with me and my buddy and says "this guy is full of crap...he's a frenchman from Verdun" 

Not that we needed it to seal the deal (no pun intended ;) ), but it was funny none the less.

Do you know who the worst kind of "wanna-be's" and "posers" are?

People(I just can't call them soldiers) who spent less than a year in the military and go around as if they are still in.

I keep running into this guy, who can talk Christ off the cross. This guy looks only 35/40 but if you add up his years of experience(so he says) he has to be 60/70 years old.

Everytime I try to ask a question so I can disprove his BS, he has to be somewhere.

I finally nailed him last Armed Forces Day when he was bragging to some civilians about his military background.

It was not a pretty sight ( I kind of lost my cool) exposing this guy. Had to be done.

End result, have not seen or heard of him since.

I think in some cases though, these people "posing" as military really need medical help more than they need to be publicly humiliated.  In some cases it's a sickness like any other and must be treated as such. 

ah...posers... I've got one. I was with a buddy of mine who had just returned from Iraq as a member of the Marine's Force Recon (This was when it first started...yes the second Iraq War), there was this goof at the bar commenting on how hard it was for him to be the first ones into Baghdad, and how tough he was to be in Force Recon blah blah blah blah blah, and it was a miracle that he had survived and now he was back to Canada, on leave, visiting his parents. All the ladies were all like 'awww' 'that must've been harsh'! My buddy had this incredulous look on his face (I'd bet most of us would be if we had a poser claiming he just came back from Afghanistan, was a member of a Jump company, and didn't know the difference between a pistol and a rifle). So my buddy smiled at me, and said 'watch this!' He walked up to the guy, slapped him on the back, produced the challenge coin and had the ritual spiel. The guy looked dumbfounded, and when asked about his challenge coin, he mumbled something about leaving it at home. So my buddy, being the good natured guy that he was, asked him if the goof knew a few guys that my buddy had served with, while in Force Recon in Iraq. The guy, looking a little panicked now, shook his head, and mumbled something else incoherently, stood up, pale as a ghost and quickly walked out of the restaurant. We laughed. Hard.

Then there was silence where we both pondered upon the stupidity of individuals who pretend to be, what many have fought so hard to become, and so many who have bled and died for, in order to make that thing proud.

I hate posers.

Lost_Warrior said:
I think in some cases though, these people "posing" as military really need medical help more than they need to be publicly humiliated.  In some cases it's a sickness like any other and must be treated as such.   
Hang on now. I will not stand idly by and let someone recommend medical help, when the time-honoured method of public humiliation is still available.  Let public mockery run its course, I say!  Medical help, indeed - - like I care about the poser's feelings or whatever.  ::)

...but if you're going to be a poser, it's best to know the colour of the boathouse ;)

Journeyman said:
Hang on now. I will not stand idly by and let someone recommend medical help, when the time-honoured method of public humiliation is still available.  Let public mockery run its course, I say!  Medical help, indeed - - like I care about the poser's feelings or whatever.  ::)

+1 and many other numerical figures.

What I find more irritating than the "street" posers is those that are still in uniform.

Last year I was interviewing applicants for a Class B job here at NDHQ.  One, a Bosnia vet, had noticed that he and I wore some of the same salad.  When I asked him about his experience, he went on to describe his part on an operation in Bosnia.  Unknown to him, we were both on the same Roto.  I was on that op as CSM and, I think, I had a pretty good handle on who was in and attached to my company at the time.

He didn't get the job.

I have run into more Posers than I could keep track of in my life.  I'd say 90% of them are mentally ill.  Seriously,  some strange chemical imbalance or serious abuse issue which is making them do that.  I don't get angry when an epileptic has a seizure and knocks over my pop,  nor can I be too upset with the person who honestly believes they were a soldier.  Neither of them can help their illness.

For me the measurements I use are personal choice(degree of controll over the situation), intent of malice and level of harm.  If the epileptic chose not to take his medication hoping that he'd have a seizure while driving and kill himself and others... well I'd be upset.  If a malicious person was, for example, claiming to be an airborne trooper and was saying things that would bring intense disrepute to that group.... I'd be livid three ways from Sunday.  Now if a crazy frail old man is claiming to be an ex navy seal,  praising them and hoping that some of that warm light would reflect on him positively... I find it sad,  but not something to be angry about.

Now for guys who claim to do stuff that they didn't in order to impress women,  yes there is harm there.  They are taking praise that is not theirs,  and yes the best punishment for them is a good old fashioned humiliation. 

Zell_Dietrich said:
Now for guys who claim to do stuff that they didn't in order to impress women.... the best punishment for them is a good old fashioned humiliation.
Well, if a guy is that inadequate that his only hope of hooking up with a woman is claiming to be a SEAL....I suspect that the humiliation may be inevitable - - shame the woman has be disappointed, in the process of the guy's self-humiliation though  >:D

Back