• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wanna-be‘s / Posers

• Thread starter Thread starter R_J
  • Start date Start date
(also talking about the other end of the ship)

Most people can tell the difference between a poser that is one card short of a full deck and one that is using the military to further his/her image. I have no problem with the first type, its the second type that bothers me and in my mind are leaving themself open for attack.

As with many people here, we all have appeal hanging in our closets from every campaign or base or unit that we were on or attached to. I seldom wear most of it but I keep it as a reminder of the good old days.

A point was made that some people go around as a walking billboard of their military exploits, though I am not fond of it, I reserve comment on it. If anyone visited me and I invite them to my rec. room they will find all my military souvenirs scattered around the room. Beer glasses, Caps, Pictures, Battledress uniform etc,etc.

Where I display my military life on the walls of my rec. room some display their military life on their person.

To each his own, as long as its done in good taste.

I think that one time a guy thought I was a poser. I have a shirt that was given to me by a very good friend from camp mirage.  Unless you know the logo,  or read it very carefully you'd not know it was Army anything. (even if you read it,  likely you'd not know)  It fits me well, looks good and qualifies as business casual.  One day I wore it - it was on top of the rotation - and in the mess line I was asked when I was there.  I said it was a souvenir from a close friend.  (Who is as I type this in Afghanistan) I received that "I'm annoyed and constipated" look. Honestly, I wasn't trying to pose, it is just a nice tee-shirt.  (And I can't emphasise enough that 99.99% of people would have no clue it was army anything)

Oh well,  I got double chicken from the very next guy,  so it couldn't have been that big of a deal.

What is an military poser, and what are the characteristics of a military wannabe? I've seen these words a few times.

A military poser is someone who pretends they're in the military and are "all that"
A military wannabe is someone who wants to be in the military so bad that they go to the extent of becoming a military poser, but don't actually go and join the military for whatever reason.

Or something like that.

someone like AAAA.

"I'm a former military Captain. LOL "

easily spotted by the use of MSN speak and poor use of grammar.

Some people can't get enough of the military life through the video games and war movies. They have to "become" a military member and be recognized in the military community when obviously they have never been near a recruiting office. You see it often in the media, people saying they were told to shoot civilians; or that they've been to Iraq. I'd equate it to people with a Star Wars fetish and have to convince themselves that they are a Jedi by turning everything (and sadly everyone) around them into something of the Star Wars environment.

Indeed. It's kind of sad when I drive by to a local tactical gear shop to pick something up, and have a kid inside who's bragging about the new Safari dropleg that he's got for his new airsoft pistol. I have nothing against airsoft, I think it's a great training tool (although now simmunition is better  ;D), however, its some of the people that's currently playing the games that I have a problem with.

Some of the individuals playing these games are ranked pretty highly up there as a military wannabe. They've gone to a point where these people think they're Spec Ops guys running around the small paintball range duelling it out with other Spec Ops guys  ??? I just dont get it.

Once I was in the shop this guy kept on goin on and on about how great his shooting skills were and what kind of weapons he owned. Natrually I chirpped in and asked if he's ever though about a career full/part-time with the Forces. You would never believe what this guy said.

'The army is a bunch of LOSERS . It's filled with people who cant get a real job. I'd never join. I'll probably outshoot any of them. Did you know I can put a BB in your head at a 100 meters?'

.......... :o

I shook my head and left. Maybe I was asking for that one?

3rd Herd said:
Not about Posers-But about the uniform issues

Since I am going to be stuck here in Calgary for the next two years I went and again signed on to CI at one of the local PPCLI cadet corps. Having been in this position with all three service branches over the years I have seen quite a few interesting dress codes but this is a new one. So I am seeking some wisdom and thoughts.

The issues here is that the CI's with the Cadet OC's apparent blessing wear the old style combats, berets/cap badge and combat boots on parade nights. Qualification badges and name tags.Think of time warping back to the 1980/90's. This is the first time I have seen this on parade nights, on Fld Ex that is a different story. My usual dress has been Corp shirt and comfortable shoes,slacks and ball cap. Thoughts?
The OD-107 debate is mute but CI's should not be wearing a beret or any type of cap badge and they should be easily identified as a CI. (ie Ci tabs)

Armyvern said:
Hmmm, interesting. Sounds like my grandpa...who started out as a dispatch rider and went on to do many a varied thing before the war was done. And he loves to 'bottoms up' especially at the Hug and Slug. And he lives in New Brunswick.....

Nah, can't be him. He's got pics of his exploits (ohhh and his nice antique Harley) to back up his great tales...Some of them pics even published in books.

It's all beginning to remind me of a certain jumper I know tossing out the irresistible query one Nov 11th at the Kyrenia club to one of the great vets present....The vet asked him how many jumps he had and the jumper responded. Jumper then asked how many jumps the vet had and the answer was "One (and the look of dread crossed my husbands face)....Normandy, June 6th 1944." The look disappeared very quickly and 9er was most definitively....owned.
A few years ago one of my cadets had just passed his jump course a week before and we had brought him to a vets brunch at our local Legion. all was going well till and older vet cornerd him and asked about his jumps. the young cadet was all hoped up and told him how cool it was, at this point the vet informed him about his one and only jump and how uncool it was. He was one of the few they gave basic jump training to before they put them on a plane for Arnhem. needless to say he had a ready audience after that.

Back