• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wanna-be‘s / Posers

• Thread starter Thread starter R_J
  • Start date Start date
I guess you wouldn't call them posers but the guys who wear from head to toe army PT gear or tour memorabilia.I have not problems with a guy wearing a shirt or a hat etc.I'm guilty of throwing on a old tour shirt or PT gear to go to the store.

One summer we were going to NFLD and on the ferry was this guy with SFOR hat SFOR coat SFOR shirt and SFOR pants and honestly we even thought we saw SFOR socks.I mean how much of it do you have to wear?Even if you were there I'm sure a armoured crest on a coat or a SFOR hat would be sufficient.

My wife said he looked like he fell in a bucket of SFOR.

Although he was most likely there,he rubbed me the wrong way.Sort of "look at where I've been".

Hey... did you think that maybe his name is SFOR?
(I know his cousin Sforza...)

Not unless his family crest happened to look a lot like the shape of Bosnia with a star on it! ;D

This goes back years but, would come across this old gent every rememberance day... wearing an old RCAF uniform with medals galore and rank badges coming out of the kazoo.  Having just gotten into the CF I bristled all over and was prepared to tell the guy off when one of the RCAF ass'n types told me his story... Was in the resistance and helped airmen out of some tight places - many of these airmen gave him some of their service medals, rank badges, items of their service dress, etc....

At that point, I got off my high horse and figured it was just as well to ignore the WW2 vet.

Hang on now. I will not stand idly by and let someone recommend medical help, when the time-honoured method of public humiliation is still available.  Let public mockery run its course, I say!  Medical help, indeed - - like I care about the poser's feelings or whatever.

I disagree.  I will admit, most (and I do mean MOST) cases are just some young punks who want to impress the ladies, or old guys who want to brag about things they never did.  A public humiliation is fully warranted.  However, there are cases, one of which I saw on TV about a year ago, where a man would dress up in full military dress and attend parades (I believe he was from Washington), and when finally confronted, he actually, really thought he was a former meber of the US army.  Now call me crazy, but that sounds more like a sickness, than something that warrants a public humiliation.

OK OK.....I posted my comment with ALL the authority that the Mess requires/deserves.  ::)

Yes, if some guy is a poser because of mental problems, get help. But even then, only if necessary. If he's some harmless old guy posing;  move along - nothing to see here.

If it's some punk wearing a combat jacket with his Sk8tr Boi hat on backwards - - well, if you've got time in your life to jack up every dipshit that's dressed stupidly....go for it.

If, however, it's some wad in a bar, telling the ladies that he HALO jumped off the USS Ohio, landing in Gaddafi's strawberry sorbet.....then by all means, out him....with extreme sarcasm.

If, however, it's some wad in a bar, telling the ladies that he HALO jumped off the USS Ohio, landing in Gaddafi's strawberry sorbet.....then by all means, out him....with extreme sarcasm. 

LMFAO

Journeyman said:

Just make sure you're right.

if he's wrong and poser is not a poser..... will be wearing egg on face soon enough

Michael O'Leary said:
Just make sure you're right.
Come on Mike. I'm always right.  ;D

OK, one time I was wrong.......but the divorce lawyer sorted that one out. ;)

I think I posted this link earlier,  a while ago  http://www.anzmi.net

I wonder if there is a similar site for Canada.  :-)  Super funny stories (and some sad ones) about posers.

Actually a friend decided to chat with a vet here in new brunswick about 5 years ago.He started out the night as a dispatch rider and pretty well covered every trade you could think of by nights end and bottoms up.(Nov 11th 2001)

A South African friend of mine moniters this site. Not as colouful as the Aussi/Kiwi site but they used to post if known full addresses
http://www.recce.co.za/index.php?module=ContentExpress&func=display&ceid=19&bid=31&btitle=Bogus%20Operators&meid=86

099* said:
Actually a friend decided to chat with a vet here in new brunswick about 5 years ago.He started out the night as a dispatch rider and pretty well covered every trade you could think of by nights end and bottoms up.(Nov 11th 2001)

Hmmm, interesting. Sounds like my grandpa...who started out as a dispatch rider and went on to do many a varied thing before the war was done. And he loves to 'bottoms up' especially at the Hug and Slug. And he lives in New Brunswick.....

Nah, can't be him. He's got pics of his exploits (ohhh and his nice antique Harley) to back up his great tales...Some of them pics even published in books.

It's all beginning to remind me of a certain jumper I know tossing out the irresistible query one Nov 11th at the Kyrenia club to one of the great vets present....The vet asked him how many jumps he had and the jumper responded. Jumper then asked how many jumps the vet had and the answer was "One (and the look of dread crossed my husbands face)....Normandy, June 6th 1944." The look disappeared very quickly and 9er was most definitively....owned.

Armyvern said:
Hmmm, interesting. Sounds like my grandpa...who started out as a dispatch rider and went on to do many a varied thing before the war was done. And he loves to 'bottoms up' especially at the Hug and Slug. And he lives in New Brunswick.....

Nah, can't be him. He's got pics of his exploits (ohhh and his nice antique Harley) to back up his great tales...Some of them pics even published in books.

But I'm sure to some people even though he has proof and pics to back him up it may sound far fetched.Hence how easy it would be to make an idoit of yourself.(It was in Grandfalls IIRC)

Calling a real vet a liar....your going to the fire furnace for the afterlife. ;)

At the end of the day, in my opinion, I think anyone who poses or fantasises about military service, or worse, active service, has some potential mental/identity problems at hand.

I feel its disrespectful not only to those who have done their time, but more so to those who have been on active service, and have paid the ultimate price, by never coming back, and secondly for those that have seen the horrors men should never have to see and experience.

Posers are a fact of life these days, and deserve to be PUBLICALLY humiliated by being named if and when caught.

My 2 cents,

Wes

Sometimes some of the older folks don't remember very well, and feel obligated to fill in when that information is missing.  I recall one old sailor who was sure that there was a 6" gun on his corvette.  When I tactfully corrected him, he readily agreed.  As he said, he was a stoker, not a gunner.  That's not being a poser, that's just memory failing.

Back