• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Warrant Officer - Roles and Responsibilities

Good day!

I'm looking at transitioning out of the CAF, in doing so I'm trying to explain to civilian employers the Roles and Responsibilities of a Warrant Officer. I don't want to just explain my trade or my specific job but what the rank means, and some of the general things we do at that rank.
I know there use to be a document that outlined it all in general terms but I can't seem to find it, and the BPSO office has said they don't know which direction to point me.

Any points you all have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much.

OutLookingIn said:
Good day!

I'm looking at transitioning out of the CAF, in doing so I'm trying to explain to civilian employers the Roles and Responsibilities of a Warrant Officer. I don't want to just explain my trade or my specific job but what the rank means, and some of the general things we do at that rank.
I know there use to be a document that outlined it all in general terms but I can't seem to find it, and the BPSO office has said they don't know which direction to point me.

start here

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/business-reservist-support/tools-resume-writing-guide.page

Thanks so much.

I cannot find the discussion anymore, but I recall a while back learning a great deal from Infanteer’s insight into where WOs fit in on the supervisory / managerial spectrum. I remember him articulating the role and level of a WO quite precisely. It might be worth shooting him a pm if he doesn’t wander into this thread.

mariomike said:
See also, Army.ca Wiki

Warrant Officers
https://army.ca/wiki/index.php/Warrant_Officers

That info really means nothing outside of the military...

OutLookingIn said:
Good day!

Thanks so much.

Have you tried contacting one of the transition programs?  They talked about this at the SCAN seminar I went to a few years ago, and there was a few different ones where they talked about helping people explain what their skills sets were.

Found the link below, but something like 'Helmets to hardhats' may be helpful as well.

https://www.federalretirees.ca/en/My-Money/For-Veterans/Post-Military%20Employment

OutLookingIn said:
Good day!

Thanks so much.

I wouldn't try to focus so much on training a civilian to understand what a WO does, but focus more on describing 3 or 4 'projects' you were involved in leading that show them your capabilities.

If you can show them that you are good at managing a complex series of activities within the context of a greater strategic plan of some kind, and can describe the measurable results, then I think you'll impress the heck out of them.

As always, within a military context, it's important to set the scene with respect the to relative risks (to life, limb, property, money etc) aas just about everything we do, especially on operaitons, can get someone killed if we don't do it right (Or even if we do!).

Back