• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Was Admiral Robertson that bad at raising the Navy's profile?

Would it be correct to assume that is an eventual replacement to the CPF?

ltmaverick25 said:
Would it be correct to assume that is an eventual replacement to the CPF?

and 280s

Its been discussed here before if you search around.....

I will be sure to search around later tonight when I am not at work, but for now, your responces told me what I wanted to know :)

Ex-Dragoon said:
you mean the DDHs....
its been discussed here before but its Single Class Surface Combatant

I'ev always seen it as DDH, but the nice "Here are our ships" poster the Navy put out a number of years ago clearly labels them as DDG.  PAffOs strike again...

My ballcaps from the Athabaskan and Iroquois has them as DDH...any official correspondences from either ship lists them as DDH...Janes has them as DDH....for some reason the navy of the west has Algonquin as a DDG(go figure). If we had Tomahawks then I could see us as DDGs

Ex-Dragoon said:
You don't think the SM2 is a guided missile?

Never meant it like that Ex.

Found this tidbit on wiki:

Algonquin completed a refit known as the Tribal Class Update and Modernization Project (TRUMP) on 11 October 1991. At this time her classification changed from Destroyer Helicopter (DDH) to Destroyer Guided Missile (DDG).

But we classify DDG as Area Air Defence Destroyer (according to this page)

Understandable NS...when you have so many sources saying different classifications its easy to say one or the other.

True that Ex-D and the last time I was at HM Dockyard the ball caps I saw used DDH .....

Dolphin_Hunter said:
They are sitting behind closed doors trying to figure out how to break it to the people of Canada that they are going to by from another country.... 
If dawdling around till the cows come home AND our ships are stuck in port yearround, then I would propose that buying partly or fully abroad is not necessarily a bad idea.

That is only half the problem though.  Even if we did get all these new ships tomorrow, it would only exacerbate the manning situation.  We need more sailors and without more, the ones we have will keep burning out and leaving and more ships will be stuck alongside.

I hope with the new change in command we will get new energy into the manning situation in addition to the new ships.

maverick...
we need new ships to replace the old ones... but we don't want em all at the same time.
we need new ships to gradualy replace the ships we currently have....one by one... over a long period of time.

No arguments there, but a steady shipbuilding industry like that would make far too much sence for the Canadian tax payer or politician to go along with..

The only reason why long term projects like that are so difficult is that they are beyond the terms of service of the politicians. If there was only one party in power continuously for, say, twenty years or more, it would be a lot easier to reach long terms goals such as that.

As it stands now, I'm hoping to do my part about the personnel shortage, signing up as a marine systems engineer. Maybe with any luck I could be able to help design our next generation of ships, I was thinking about naval architecture before deciding on the Navy, so it would be like a dream come true for me.

I have to agree with what some of the other posters are saying, we need to focus on getting more people into the navy before we get the new ships, if you can't staff them they are useless. I also agree that if you mention the fact that the navy is a little more comfortable, ie. hot food, hot shower, warm bed a few more young men and women may be interested. On that note though, you have to be careful because with the quality of recruit that is starting to come thru, it is getting difficult to find the hardworking people we need. Most of them are smart, but they really don't want to work any harder that they absolutely have to. What we need is a couple of really high profile incidents with pirates off the coast of Africa to push us to the front page of the news.
Marc

You have to have the ships ready for when the troops get there.... else they won't have anything to work with.
You can't wait 5 or 10 years before you start the process..... from concepts to design to laying of the keel to delivery of new ships takes a long, long time

Back