• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Was I the youngest instructor ever in the Armed Forces?

jzaidi1

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I know this is a very bold question but I wanted to confirm something here.  I was told by the CO of CFSCE that I was the youngest instructor ever in the Canadian Armed Forces.  I was 20 years old teaching an Information Systems course to new recruits right up to senior level officers.  I was a reservist at the time, was a Corporal and 20 years old.  This was back in summer of 1995 at CFB Kingston as a Class B callout for 6 months (I was with Bravo Squadron).  I (along with other instructors) ran through a class of 60 students/week for the full 6 months.

Can anyone confirm/deny this?  PM me if you think I am off my rocker.  The reason I ask is because I am building up credentials I can present to CFRC for the Pilot MOC.

Thanks,
CPL Jay

No you weren't.  My grandfather served in ww2.  lied about his age (he was 15) And was teaching before he was 20 (different times though).  Many reservists teach well before they are twenty.  There was a person on my JNCO with a less than a year in and was fast tracked and taught the same summer after her course.  i think she was 18 at the time.  Maybe for your branch or trade as it is a reg force course.

Cheers.

Just list the courses you taught on........they will do any math required.

Don't cadets instruct each other in drill and other subjects?  That would put many of them below the 18 YOA line...

CDN Aviator said:
My question is : Who cares ?

You took the words right out of my mouth computer.

Is there a prize or something?  I mean, really.  ::)

HFXCrow said:
Am I the handsomest sailor of all time.?

No.  ;)

to with unimportant awards...

am i the guy who lost the most amoun of weight to get in de CF???

Yep,

Getting lots of negative feedback on this question.  I just wanted to know only because my CO (commanding officer) mentioned it years ago.  Oh and I was in cadets for 6 years prior to the reserves so I'm not counting that as instructional experience although technically it was (I was 2ic of my cadet squadron at the rank of WO2).

I would have imagined if I were the youngest that would be a small but "positive" check mark on the long list of accomplishments required to be accepted for Pilot.  Mind you I'll have to do the CFAT, ACS and interview and pass them with flying colours (no pun intended) in order to be considered.

Thanks,
CPL

Look at it this way.  You could write down that you were selected as an instructor at said age due to your unique abilities etc. etc. That is if your looking for brownie points for you submission resume after all.

jzaidi1 said:
Hey folks,

I know this is a very bold question but I wanted to confirm something here.  I was told by the CO of CFSCE that I was the youngest instructor ever in the Canadian Armed Forces.  I was 20 years old teaching an Information Systems course to new recruits right up to senior level officers.  I was a reservist at the time, was a Corporal and 20 years old.  This was back in summer of 1995 at CFB Kingston as a Class B callout for 6 months (I was with Bravo Squadron).  I (along with other instructors) ran through a class of 60 students/week for the full 6 months.

Can anyone confirm/deny this?  PM me if you think I am off my rocker.  The reason I ask is because I am building up credentials I can present to CFRC for the Pilot MOC.

Thanks,
CPL Jay

Unnnnnfortunatelyyyyyy................

I bore witness to one 19 year-old MCpl (names excluded, obviously) - yes, 19 years old and yes, a Master-Corporal - teaching on a reserve BMQ course.

So........

jzaidi1 said:
I would have imagined if I were the youngest that would be a small but "positive" check mark on the long list of accomplishments required to be accepted for Pilot.  

Age doesn't really matter; you can be the greatest 5 year-old teacher in the world alongside an absolutely terrible 45 year-old teacher. Focus on getting more concrete things to make yourself competitive, i.e., volunteer experience, better grades, join a sports team, etc. Don't get yourself bent around setting records for the purpose of being selected, Jay.

jzaidi1 said:
Getting lots of negative feedback on this question.  

As you can see, great to put on your resume where you are expected to boast of your achievements, but otherwise...

Does it really matter if you were the youngest instructor?  Maybe your CO (how many years ago?) meant youngest in your unit or was just misinformed.  Why not just put on your resume that you were an instructor at a relatively young age?  I personally don't think the CFRC will give a rat's a** about how old you were.  They just want your experience.

BTW, if you're no longer a Cpl, I don't think you need to sign your posts as such.

I joined the Reserves at 15 and was instructing, after my Jr NCO Course at 17. That checkmark may not belong to me, but I'm ahead of you in line ;)

I had an 18 year old female Cpl (jlc trained) teaching on my BMQ in 93.

infamous_p said:
Unnnnnfortunatelyyyyyy................

I bore witness to one 19 year-old MCpl (names excluded, obviously) - yes, 19 years old and yes, a Master-Corporal - teaching on a reserve BMQ course.

So........

Age doesn't really matter; you can be the greatest 5 year-old teacher in the world alongside an absolutely terrible 45 year-old teacher. Focus on getting more concrete things to make yourself competitive, i.e., volunteer experience, better grades, join a sports team, etc. Don't get yourself bent around setting records for the purpose of being selected, Jay.

Was it a short term summer appointment only..e.g. "you're a MCpl until September" kind of thing?

All I can say is wow...I didn't even think that was possible.

The top candidate of the old JLC was promoted to MCpl on grad parade.

So if you were an 18 year old pte and reservist.. and topped your infantry JLC... you
then became an 18 year old MCpl.

popnfresh said:
Was it a short term summer appointment only..e.g. "you're a MCpl until September" kind of thing?

All I can say is wow...I didn't even think that was possible.

Nope, he was fully appointed.. not just a summer appointment. He's a Sergeant now.

Back