• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

*waves* Starting the Reserve recruiting process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandora114

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm a SAHM.  My husband is an AESOP.  I'm starting the process of joining the local Army Reserve *Airforce one doesn't have any openings..but the more I research the more "fun" Army seems to be*  as an RMS Clerk.  Hopefully to go Reg Force once  DH's career mangler err manager points him in a direction.

ANYWAY My main reason for posting here is about hair.  I have waist length hair.  It is very fine and likes to fly away.  I can style it when wet with copious amounts of gel to keep it from doing so, BUT....here's the kicker...what is training like in Gagetown?  That's where I'll probably be heading for BMQ and SQ.  Any ladies have any hints on how to keep my hair under control to make the MCPL somewhat happy? (My husband is a MCPL..and if I chop it off HE will be very unhappy..he likes my long hair)

Will I have time to wet it down in the mornings so I can slick it and bun it? 

All the rest of the BMQ Process I've gotten some good tips from my husband.  He just can't help me on the hair thing.

I know the regulations.  I just need hints and tips to keep my hair within regulations (except a cut..that's not gonna happen).  Like no fly aways when up in a bun...and if I'll have *time* to get my hair inspection ready.  It's waist length right now.  I have no problems getting it into a bun and I can get it into an english braid in 5 minutes after a shower...I just want to know if there are showers in the morning or I have to figure out how to wet my hair down another way in the morning to get it to behave...in time for the ordered chaos.

Husband does *not* want me cutting my hair off. 

I know they'll get on me for something.  That's their job.  I just want to know what the training life is like in Gagetown.  Do they do PT before or after breakfast usually...stuff like that.  Shoulda put it more plainly to be honest...sorry about that. 

I know I'll be the *freak* on the course anyway...I'm an unashamed nerd/geek.  I have a thick skin for crass humour as well... I know I should stay at home and make sammiches for my Powderpuff guy...but the economy has other plans...and my kids are school age,  jobs around here like to let people go before the 3 months are up.  I'm tired of it.  I want to start a career...finally, while I'm still young enough (almost 34) and my kids are young enough (9 and 6) to adapt.  The Military has been a constant (near constant) presence in my life,  I was born a base brat, dad being AIR DET on various supply ships, then my husband...It's a constant, and I find it comforting...and reliable.  I wouldn't want to live any other way to be honest, and face it, if anything happens to my husband, (He is flight crew after all..at least he's not on a Sea King..) I want something that can support my family with minimum transition. 

Long term goals...I've thought this through.

The thread titles may state "regulations" but there are posts in there with tips to control hair, IIRC. 

There is a search function on the site but maybe someone with more experience at controlling "fly away" hair will come along to offer more advice.

Just curious:

This is a part of your long term goals because of economic reasons and you feel the pull of family history - yet a haircut is out of the question?

Sorry - me no get that. No, don't explain, I understand fine enough.

Best of luck with your fashion choices.

This should do fine for your hair. Don't forget to give your local Costco a call.

Hmm...

So if I have to shower at night, invest in a sleep cap to keep the braid from getting shredded and slather gel and hair spray as needed in the morning.  *from looking at the threads* 

And yeah,  fighting a hair cut seems rather stupid, I know, especially to people who don't have any background knowledge about the relationship to begin with.  I'm not going to get into it because frankly it's no one's business.  Husband does understand it's a possibility that I might be ordered to chop it during BMQ He just won't like it when I get back.

Pandora114 said:
Hmm...

So if I have to shower at night, invest in a sleep cap to keep the braid from getting shredded and slather gel and hair spray as needed in the morning.  *from looking at the threads* 

And yeah,  fighting a hair cut seems rather stupid, I know, especially to people who don't have any background knowledge about the relationship to begin with.  I'm not going to get into it because frankly it's no one's business.  Husband does understand it's a possibility that I might be ordered to chop it during BMQ He just won't like it when I get back.

You get to shower in the morning just like the rest of us do.

I have mid-back length ultra-curly hair; it's thin too and fly-away, but I have shitloads of those hairs.  I shower, braid my hair into a single braid and then twist the braid into a bun to pin it up.  Then slick the gel onto my hair not included in the bun to keep it from flying away during the day.  I don't require hairspray if I use the gel.  It works.

PT is before breaky.  After PT, you will normally have 1 hour to shower, dress, do hair and eat prior to reporting for work/class.

Hope that your relationship isn't as "hair-dependent" as you are attempting to make it seem; that's just sad.

ArmyVern said:
You get to shower in the morning just like the rest of us do.

I have mid-back length ultra-curly hair; it's thin too and fly-away, but I have shitloads of those hairs.  I shower, braid my hair into a single braid and then twist the braid into a bun to pin it up.  Then slick the gel onto my hair not included in the bun to keep it from flying away during the day.  I don't require hairspray if I use the gel.  It works.

PT is before breaky.  After PT, you will normally have 1 hour to shower, dress, do hair and eat prior to reporting for work/class.

Hope that your relationship isn't as "hair-dependent" as you are attempting to make it seem; that's just sad.

Dude,  I got a mom chop when my son was starting to get those grabby yanky hands as a baby, and my husband nearly put me out on the couch, (Told me it was like a kick to the nuts to him) he kinda got over it, but I kinda like getting some action so it's best that I try to keep the status quo as best as I can.  He does know that I might be told to cut it off if it repeatedly gives me grief during inspections.  He knows it'll grow back.  It grew back after the mom chop.  He might have grown up between then and now, can only hope.

Honestly I'm kinda looking forward to BMQ because it might help me differentiate a bit more.  Thanks for the outline of the BMQ in Gagetown. 

I just know how BMQ goes in St. Jean because my brother in law recently went through it, and my husband was on his PLQ course just recently (He had to be recoursed because he broke his leg during a run..don't ask...I don't know either.  He said it might be different in Gagetown.  Since the Canex is all the way in Oromocto, and not on base proper, do I have to stock up on stuff until I'm allowed off base for the weekend?  I just want to be prepared so I don't run out of essential stuff. 

Pandora114 said:
Dude,  I got a mom chop when my son was starting to get those grabby yanky hands as a baby, and my husband nearly put me out on the couch, (Told me it was like a kick to the nuts to him) he kinda got over it, but I kinda like getting some action so it's best that I try to keep the status quo as best as I can.  He does know that I might be told to cut it off if it repeatedly gives me grief during inspections.  He knows it'll grow back.  It grew back after the mom chop.  He might have grown up between then and now, can only hope.

Honestly I'm kinda looking forward to BMQ because it might help me differentiate a bit more.  Thanks for the outline of the BMQ in Gagetown. 

I just know how BMQ goes in St. Jean because my brother in law recently went through it, and my husband was on his PLQ course just recently (He had to be recoursed because he broke his leg during a run..don't ask...I don't know either.  He said it might be different in Gagetown.  Since the Canex is all the way in Oromocto, and not on base proper, do I have to stock up on stuff until I'm allowed off base for the weekend?  I just want to be prepared so I don't run out of essential stuff.

I'm not a f'n dude.

Until 4 years ago, I had a number 4 clippers cut.  If I chopped mine off today and went back to the #4 (which I often feel like doing on freezing & lazydays), I'd still get laid.  Yours would be the first man I've ever met who wouldn't take any and all opportunity to get laid made available to him.  You need to learn that hair length has nothing to with it; word up:  with one of these we can get as many of those as we want.

Canex is ON base in CFB Gagetown.  CFB Gagetown is IN Oromocto. 

oh ok cool.  I was just looking at google maps and got a different mental picture.  My bad.  Glad I'm getting it all cleared up now.

(I call everyone dude, regardless of gender btw) 

And yeah, my husband is definitely an odd duck, to put it as respectfully as I can, but I am too.

When he was giving me hints on how to avoid recoil during a conversation about gun handling last night he said "You have to hug the gun" and I'm like "Aww hug the gun? I love you gun, you're my best friend...don't listen to any of the other guns..I didn't mean it when I said it to them"  He's like "if you say that out loud during your training they will hate you.." I can still think it though  >:D

Yes...I am weird.  No worries, I can keep my weirdness canned until the appropriate time.

Pandora114 said:
Dude,  I got a mom chop when my son was starting to get those grabby yanky hands as a baby, and my husband nearly put me out on the couch, (Told me it was like a kick to the nuts to him) he kinda got over it, but I kinda like getting some action so it's best that I try to keep the status quo as best as I can. 

Tell your husband not to worry. You won't be surrounded by hundreds of horny 20 year old guys who don't care what you look like let alone if you have a shaved head.

ObedientiaZelum said:
Tell your husband not to worry. You won't be surrounded by hundreds of horny 20 year old guys who don't care what you look like let alone if you have a shaved head.
Oohhh.......evil.  >:D

I like it.  :nod:

I had a friend who was a Sgt. She had fine, black, waist length hair. She could slap that puppy up into a bun in about five minutes tops. Stayed put all day with no strands or stray fly away hairs. Didn't use any goops or sprays either.

It can be done. Same as everything, it takes practice. Get started.

Just checked with 9r, who had thick medium length hair.

It takes her 5min max to get her hair up for work.

If she was timed from waking to walking out the door, within 30min.

Yeah takes me no time to get my hair whipped up into a braid then a bun especially if it's damp.  Just throw some pomade/gel in it to keep the frizzies at bay in the bun and voila.  I could just use coconut oil, but I'll check to see if Mane and Tail (My brand..yes I know neeeiiiggghhh) has anything good to go with the conditioner I use. 

Trust me, I know they'll get on me for something.  That's their job as BMQ instructors. 

Just was hearing from my brother in law, that hair fly aways was the most common thing girls got jacked up on during his course.  So I'll do what I can to at least minimize it so they can focus on other stuff to jack me on like boots, or my "wonderful" cleaning.. (Housekeeping isn't my forte....BMQ will fix that I know)

There is no regulation for sleep gear in the shacks is there? Just out in the field I'm guessing.  Like If I wanted to bring Rainbow Dash or Batman Footie PJ's with a hood there wouldn't be an issue, as long as it was stashed in my foot locker for inspection? (and a stuffy toy... >.>)

Pandora114 said:
Trust me, I know they'll get on me for something.  That's their job as BMQ instructors. 

Their job is to teach you the skills, academic material, etc to the standard you must achieve in order to successfully complete BMQ and become a member of the Canadian Forces. 

Pandora114 said:
Like If I wanted to bring Rainbow Dash or Batman Footie PJ's with a hood there wouldn't be an issue, as long as it was stashed in my foot locker for inspection? (and a stuffy toy... >.>)

How old are you?

-Skeletor- said:
Their job is to teach you the skills, academic material, etc to the standard you must achieve in order to successfully complete BMQ and become a member of the Canadian Forces. 

How old are you?

33...almost 34.  I told everyone I was weird a few posts up. 

The footie PJ's are to keep me warm. Outside in the field being cold is a given, and one is usually being kept active enough to not get cold, and for sleeping the sleeping bags are top notch, kept my DH alive during his BSEAR course in Winnipeg Winter.  I don't like being cold when inside...hence why the footie jammies.  Cozy and warm, and the hood acts like a sleep cap, and Friendship is Magic damnit...  >:D  Ponies are cool, like bowties and Fez's.

The stuffed toy is habit, I sleep with one for the first three or four nights when my husband deploys.  Helps me get to sleep.  After that I'm good.  Used to have a cat when I was single.  Cat used to sleep with me.  It's just a habit thing,  as I said, I just need it for the first few nights then it'll go in the foot locker til home time.

Ever hear of not doing anything to draw more attention to yourself?

Methinks not.

Scott said:
Ever hear of not doing anything to draw more attention to yourself?

Methinks not.

I think if I open my mouth to talk to anyone I'd draw attention to myself due to my nerdiness.  So unless I go through BMQ as a mute except for "Yes MCPL" "No MCPL" I think it's a given I'll stick out like a sore thumb regardless what I wear or don't wear...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9qYF9DZPdw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back