• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing Of Contact Lenses While On Duty

pte.allen said:
so what if you when you wear glasses, you cant use peripheral vision during a patrol, does that not complicate your awareness?

Despite what many people think, to see movement out of your peripheral vision does not require perfect vision. Nor are people who wear glasses completely blind outside the edges of thier glasses.

And given the autonomic response to movement in your periphery is turn your head to the 'threat'...it is a moot point.

Sukintu said:
Hi,
Currently I am wearing contact lenses called OK lens (Orthokeratology lenses), where you sleep with them on at night, and it corrects your cornea to 20/20 vision. Basically I clean them when I wake up and put them on at night. I am joining the reserves this winter, and most likely doing a Weekend BMQ, and I was wondering if it would be good to wear these contacts on course, or should I go to my eye doctor and get a pair of glasses?

Thanks.

Hey,
I realize this post is a little old, but I'm using the same contacts and am in the application process for the infantry reserve. I am fine without the contacts for a weekend, but feel they might not be so great on summer courses.
I noticed a post about being issued glasses, and am wondering if you are required to have prescription glasses already before being issued a pair? or if i can just get a hold of my prescription and get a set of glasses issued off that?
I would probably never use a pair of glasses outside excercises and such, and if I'm going to be issued a pair anyways I might as well save myself the hassle. thanks.

As a reservist, you won't qualify to get a free pair of glasses issued to you unless you work on a full time class B contract of 180 days or more

The CF will provide glasses, under any circumstance will they provide contact lenses?

I wear contacts if I am in garrison, PT and sometimes on course if I have time to put them on.  Ive been wearing contacts for about 8 years since highschool.  Just my experience with them:

DO NOT wear them in the field.  You WILL get crud under them and it will scratch the shit out of your eye and feel like sand is in your eye for a good week until it heals.
They also get dry and sticky if you are dehydrated or doing alot of movement, and will dry up in your eyes and fall out on you, not the best thing to happen during the middle of a section/platoon attack.  They are impossible to sleep with even if they are the so called "30 day lenses".  You have to take them out to get a good sleep.  If you get sweat in your eye they BURN.  If you have to go into the water with them (ie assault boat drills, river crossings) they will become off center in your eye, or fall out....

Contacts are for looking good...not for field use.

Wear your ballistic eyewear with inserts or save up the cash for prescription oakley SI M frames and never take them off your face on ex.

ArmyVern said:
:rofl:

Pardon me??? I think an edit may be in order!!   ;D

OMG... I have tears streaming down my face...I can just picture you!!  ;D

So, you don't need any help with visualizing it then?

>:D

Hi, I just have a quick question. I am going to be doing reserves summer bmq, and my question is, out of the hard lenses which you wear at night and dont wear during the day, and the soft lenses which u wear during the day but not at night, which would be better. I know wearing any kind of contact lens near the gas hut is a bad idea, but I mean any other time. The night time ones sound better, but then the thing is, what if you are woken up early or something, and you dont have time to take them out. The day time ones are risky just incase they pop out, get dry, go to the corner of your eye, etc. Then glasses arent so much a problem, its just my glasses hurt my nose I dont know why. I heard that the ballistics glasses with the inserts make the wearer dizzy due to the angle of the lens and curviture of the ballistics glasses. So I will take my glasses with me, but I would like to know whether the night time contact lenses are better then the day time contact lenses, or vice versa. Thanks.

The CF will provide glasses, under any circumstance will they provide contact lenses?
I know for the navy they will supply contact lenses for personnel standing periscope watches on a submarine.

I.M.A.J don't even bother wearing contact lenses on course. It's short but you might as well wear some flexible glasses. You'll be betteroff. Wear the contacts when you get back to your weekend training. It won't hinder you at all since it's only a month of training.

i.m.a.j.
Did you even bother to read the post from GRUNT that immediately preceeds your post ?
it says it all.....

Beadwindow 7 said:
As a reservist, you won't qualify to get a free pair of glasses issued to you unless you work on a full time class B contract of 180 days or more

NOT TRUE!
Class A, Class B or class C reservists AND regs

We are all issued BEW to wear in the field and Regular eyeglasses do not fit under the BEW.
All troops are entitled to the ophthalmic insert that fits into the BEW - see your Orderly room for details.

Also, if you are not provided the ophthalmic inserts for fieldwork & are obliged to wear your regular glasses in the field...
If you break em, the CF must replace,
If you lose them, the CF must replace.

You can also get inserts made for your gas mask, if you are entitled to have one on your scale of issue.

PuckChaser said:
You can also get inserts made for your gas mask, if you are entitled to have one on your scale of issue.

Ummm... Inserts?  I thought they were still issuing the wobbly framed glasses with the D ring for the ears.

geo said:
Ummm... Inserts?  I thought they were still issuing the wobbly framed glasses with the D ring for the ears.

Are you complaining about the lack of birth control glasses? ;D

geo said:

I surprised you have never heard of them being refered to as "Birth Control Glasses".  They were for a while there, until they became "fashionable".  ;D

musta been hanging round Valcatraz at that point in time - bitchin about em in french

Back