• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing Sunglasses While On Duty

nsmedicman

Inactive
Reaction score
What is the official party line regarding wearing sunglasses while on duty? Is there a specific type that is permitted? Is it up to the unit level to decide what is allowed?

11. Eyeglasses and sun-glasses shall be
conservative in design and colour.

12. Subject to any restrictions which may be
imposed by commanding officers on occasions of
wear, the following sun-glasses are authorized for
wear with CF orders of dress:

a. Designated Duty Personnel. Personnel
serving in aircrew, field and other
designated positions may obtain from the
CF Supply System and wear:

A-AD-265-000/AG-001
2-2-7
(1) Sun-glasses (aircrew) 8465-21-870-

(2) Sun-glasses (field force) 8465-21-104-
7821, and

(3) Sun-glasses (special) 8465-21-874-

b. All Personnel. Personnel who normally wear
eyeglasses, may wear either conventionally
framed prescription sun-glasses or
conservatively styled clip-on sun-glasses,
when conditions and circumstances dictate.
Others may wear conservatively styled sunglasses
which conform in general
appearance to those previously noted.

13. The following types of lenses are not
authorized for wear with CF orders of dress:

a. Photochromic. These lenses act as a light
filter and possess the property of darkening
when exposed directly to ultraviolet light and
lightening when the ultraviolet is withdrawn.

b. Mirrored. These lenses, also referred to as
half-silver mirrors, have a highly reflective
metallic substance deposited upon the
surface of the lenses, thereby creating a
mirrored effect.

Hope that helps.

MM

they are issuing the new "balistic shield" glasses with the green & clear lenses.
as long as they are of a dark (black, navy or green) colour, as long as they do not look wilder than the balistic shields... you should be good to go.

If at all in doubt... ask.

The only dumb question is the one you did not ask IMHO

Now the new push is for all land force units who have been issued the new ballistic glasses, to only where those sunglasses while in uniform.

figures.... "uniform"... cuts out the guesswork & individualism

I know LFAA standard is those nifty green sun glasses are the norm. LoL...

Except for those of us requiring perscription eyewear...

Just a Sig Op said:
Except for those of us requiring perscription eyewear...

Uhm, nope...I need to go get mine and have then for after Christmas leave.

The perscription eyewear or the new sunglasses? Or perhaps the perscription version of the new sunglasses?

Just a Sig Op said:
The perscription eyewear or the new sunglasses? Or perhaps the perscription version of the new sunglasses?
You have to go to Clothing Stores and get issued your BEW just like everyone else. Then you book an appointment at your Base Hosp, and when you go to that appt you take your BEW with you. They send away for the prescription insert that goes into your issued BEW.

I wonder if you can get prescription inserts for the gas mask?

fed up with those floppy frames/

I hear about the gas mask idea before... and the perscription version of the new sunglasses is what they are doing for those folks.

armyvern said:
You have to go to Clothing Stores and get issued your BEW just like everyone else. Then you book an appointment at your Base Hosp, and when you go to that appt you take your BEW with you. They send away for the prescription insert that goes into your issued BEW.

Or if you had an eye refraction (thats what the appt at the base hosp is for) done in the last 12 months, take your BEW and the copy of your last refraction from your med docs to the base hosp and they will send away for your Rx lenses.

geo said:
I wonder if you can get prescription inserts for the gas mask?
I am sure there is a thread here about this...
The new gas mask glasses are Rx lenses with a friction fit frame that sits inside your gas mask, you do not "wear" them. They will not replace the actual lenses from the gas mask.

armyvern said:

Not entitled to it, reservist. Guess I get to keep my stylin' shades ;) (Not entitled to the perscription part that is, never bothered to get the ballastic eyewear as a result, just more junk to have sitting around unused)

armymedic.......
new friction fit???
will have to talk to my friends.........

I have a crooked nose so I won't wear glasses of any kind unless ordered to but I don't know why photocromatic lenses aren't allowed? Maybe pyro flashes have enough power in the UV spectrum to darken them??? Which I guess could be a good thing if they change quickly enough.

If you move from a lit area into a darkened one, you would be at a disadvantage, as you would be wearing sunglasses in doors.

ie - walking into dense bush or into a darkened building from outside.

Wear EYEPRO at all times -- it will save you eyes...

I wear Oakleys cuz I'm cool though  ;D

The issue glasses are nice - but with some units offering nice Oakley rates - look good too  ;)

Seamus449 said:
I have a crooked nose so I won't wear glasses of any kind unless ordered to but I don't know why photocromatic lenses aren't allowed? Maybe pyro flashes have enough power in the UV spectrum to darken them??? Which I guess could be a good thing if they change quickly enough.
Photochromatic lenses are a nono
for drivers... if you drive into a tunnel during daylight the lenses can't follow the light shift fast enough.

if you are just wearing straight sunglasses... you can strip em off and see again
if you are wearing prescription glasses, you have to fumble around and change glasses OR wait for the photochromatic thingie to take effect....
NOT what I fell comfortable doing when barreling into a tunnel OR when someone is shooting at me.

Yeah, wouldn't be a good situation. I've never worn them though so I thought the change in tinting might happen almost instantaneously, appearently not though eh? I don't mind wearing goggles though, if only they were allowed.

Back