• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing Uniform in Public (merged)

I have read a few posts here, and I feel that if you go out and conduct yourself in a military manner, everything should be fine.    I can see a problem if you are getting hammered and stumbling out of bars attracting negative attention to yourself, then sure, there would be a problem.  If you stop at a bar on the way home, for a drink or two, I dont think that there is any problem with that.

If you stop at a bar on the way home, for a drink or two, I dont think that there is any problem with that.

Well...that would depend if you were driving or not. IMHO, stopping for a meal while on duty is fine, as is necessary shopping. If you are intending to go drinking, change into civvies.

Cheers

hopefully airborne soon said:
If you stop at a bar on the way home, for a drink or two, I dont think that there is any problem with that.

Considering the low tolerance many provinces have for alcohol consumption and driving, be careful...it may become a problem.

Edit: PBI kinda beat me to it.

Well put...common sense should prevail.
2 options could be presented here....

1)  If you have your car keep, a change of clothes in the trunk if you have a routine get together for a couple drinks and food.  and wise to take a cab after if you don't feel like taking a gamble after having more than intended. 

2) Go home first get changed and then meet somewhere after.

If you must be in uniform to have a drink, here's a thought,  I don't see any police officers having a beer in uniform nor ambulance attendants either. 

Something to think about.

Cheers!!
-Buzz

Speaking of giving the public a bad impression....

A guy that lives near me is a major in the reserves.  Coming home one day, what do I see but the major lazing about in his front yard in full uniform (minus beret) WATCHING his friends do all the hard work in his front yard.

Now I'm sure some will say I don't know the whole situation but this is not an isolated incident (although he's not always in uniform).

Anyone been to a Tim Hortons? Geez they should just rename ARMY Hortons. Here is something to think about, most of the CF personnell are living away from their families (Mom, Dad etc) I know in my family any time one flys home to see the family they want to see us in DEU's etc, they don't get to see it every day and It is a warm feeling seeing the pride on the faces of ones family. So I say; worn with pride is ok with me.

Haha. Tim Hortons in St Jean saw more people in Cadpat than in civilian attire. At least so the clerk told me. :)
(and this is an off-ASU Timmies).

RMC used too (I believe still does) require that their 1st year Cadets wear their uniforms until a set time in the evening, and on Saturdays. This included if you needed to go into town, etc. I believe the point was to instill pride in the uniform, and to get used to wearing one even when you dont want to. Could be wrong on the point.

---

I work as a doorman/security part time at a nightclub in Ottawa... and we have bimonthly (roughly) visits from local reservists (generally the Camerons) after mess dinners, CO's parades, etc... and they usually close the night in their full dress uniforms, kilts and all.  Honestly, I dont know whats worse, to see a bunch of drunk service personnel stumbling out onto one of ottawa's busiest streets at 3am drunk and horny as all hell; or seeing one of them being physically thrown out the door by doorstaff after causing a significant scene inside.

I should note that the highest rank Ive seen in the bar was 2LT for officers and MCpl for NCM. The MCPL seemed to be babysitting everyone at first, but I received several complaints that "the old guy in uniform is grabbing my ass".

Wonderful.

that is not right at all, if you know you are going to a bar to get hammered,  go get changed.  if you are going for a drink or two, then go home, there should not be a problem. and as for officers not drinking that is BS.  i know of many officers that drink in the bars,  you think they are walking around with tim hortons all the time?  lol

Meridian, up until Christmas this year, we had to wear uniform from 0800 to 1930 hrs, 7 days a week. Since the start of second semester, that has dropped to 0800-1930 Monday-Thursday, 0800-1630 Friday and no uniform until Monday morning after that. As well, on weeknights if we go into town, we have to go in uniform, just not on weekends. As you stated, it is to get us used to wearing a uniform even when we don't want to and to instill a feeling of pride in the uniform. Very good policy as far as I'm concerned.

to clarify, I was stating what ranks Ive seen at the bar I work at...  just the fact that I know their ranks/have seen them, should be issue enough, especially since we open at 9PM. (And dont get going till 11-12)

The highest rank Ive seen in the bar was a thick stripe, or two chevrons and a leaf.

Big Foot: If I recall correctly, I think I saw a photo a while back of a bunch of RMC cadets in full ceremonial #1s, complete with pillbox at a hockey game... vs. Westpoint, I think. (I think one of them had painted their face in RMC colours as well) Is this still in practice?

As for wearing of uniforms, I've seen some regimental ruck marches with combat pants and boots with Regimental t-shirt. No problems, as long as it has the permission of those in charge. I think it's pretty much common sense for anything - get permission. I know a kid who wore DEU to his grad, another wore his for a school presentation about the military, others get married in theirs. They all sent in a memo asking for permission, and it was given (with the provision of being professional while wearing it). If you're unsure about wearing something, just frikkin ask! No one expects you to know everything, and I'm sure your RSM would rather explain dress regs to you rather than having to jack you up later for mixing kit, or wearing DEU out of working hours.

combat_medic = Yeah, that photo appears in Truth, Duty, Valour. (The book on RMC).

The Westpoint game alternates between Kingston and Westpoint, each year, doesnt it BigFoot?

The folks doing the Naval Electronics courses etc at Marine Institute here in st.john's have to wear their uniforms to school, it's mandatory.

I've got a question, if lets say your were attending your brothers wedding, could you attend wearing your dress uniform. Once again I don't know much about the dress code and regulations of the CF.

Meridian said:
combat_medic = Yeah, that photo appears in Truth, Duty, Valour. (The book on RMC).

The Westpoint game alternates between Kingston and Westpoint, each year, doesnt it BigFoot?
Meridian: Yeah, it does. I really can't comment on this practice as I have never been to an RMC vs. West Point game, although you can ask me next year. Next year's game is up here at RMC.

Not to add anything productive, more to confess...

I wear my old green combat pants regularly... they're the most comfortable pair of pants I own, and they are, or at least were, somewhat stylish (American Eagle was selling a knock-off copy of them last season).

Of course, I have no plan to ever turn them in... so...

Back