• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

The Accidental Guerilla: Fighting Small Wars in the Midst of a Big One by David Kilcullen

BeyondTheNow said:
Wonderful, loved it!

Very entertaining and gives us an insight into life 900 years ago.

Try feeding kids bread and ale for breakfast now and see where it lands you......

Jim Seggie said:
Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet.

Fall of Giants and Winter of the Word is another good series by Ken Follet.  I am waiting for the third book to come out.

Jim Seggie said:

Try feeding kids bread and ale for breakfast now and see where it lands you......

Are we not supposed to be feeding them bread and ale? Oh, uhh... ;)

If you haven't seen in it, the mini-series was done well also. Not as good as the book, of course, but very close.

Jim Seggie said:

You mean you *can't* do that?  I think I'll have to re-think my future parenting strategy.  Next you'll tell me you can't put whiskey in a baby bottle to stop them crying at night.

finished up rereading the MacAuslan trilogy by George McDonald Fraserfor the umpteenth time last week. Amazon care package arrived before start of the weekend,. into Survival Course by Chris Cocks. it's the second part of his autobiography and covers life after his service in the RLI, first with the BSAP and then after the end of the was dealing with PSTD and life in Zimbabwe. So far so good.

Dimsum said:
You mean you *can't* do that?  I think I'll have to re-think my future parenting strategy.  Next you'll tell me you can't put whiskey in a baby bottle to stop them crying at night.

Only if it's an expensive single malt from Scotland. :piper:

Anything else would be child abuse.

Driven: How To Succeed In Business And In Life

Robert Herjavec  (Canadian fellow from Shark Tank / Dragons Den) 

Ugh...I always buy books and then I can't wait to read them so I start them all at the same time, lol
Currently on the go:

The Night Stalker - book about Richard Ramirez
Definitive History of Serial Killers
Tess D'Uberville - Thomas Hardy
Fifty Shades Darker

If you think these are questionable...well, I guess they are all together, but I am taking Criminology right now. :)

skyhigh10 said:
Driven: How To Succeed In Business And In Life

Robert Herjavec  (Canadian fellow from Shark Tank / Dragons Den)

thats a really nice book , it shows how much persistance can get you !

Retired AF Guy said:
Re-reading the last 150 pages of "Towers of Midnight" by Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson to catch-up on events before starting "A Memory of Light;" the final book in Jordan's Wheel of Time series.

Its over. Done. Finito. Kaput. Only took 23 years from the first to the last, but finally finished "A Memory of Light." 

Now I'll be able to read all 14 books* in one continuous slog and without the two-three year interruptions waiting for the next book came, which meant you had forgotten everything that had happened previously.  ;D

* Fifteen, if you count the prequel (which actually came out about mid-way through the series).

Delaney1986 said:
Ugh...I always buy books and then I can't wait to read them so I start them all at the same time, lol
Currently on the go:

The Night Stalker - book about Richard Ramirez
Definitive History of Serial Killers
Tess D'Uberville - Thomas Hardy
Fifty Shades Darker

If you think these are questionable...well, I guess they are all together, but I am taking Criminology right now. :)

I've read several books on serial murderers and profilers. Very interesting stuff.

Halfway through 'Survivors' by James Wesley Rawles. Started it a couple nights ago. Fascinating read.

krimynal said:
thats a really nice book , it shows how much persistance can get you !

I find I can relate a lot of it to the choices I have made regarding my CF app process. I do believe it will pay off. Hold off on the instant gratification / comparing oneself to others and just stick to ones guns. The difference between passion and ambition ; quite the fabulous read.

Have a nice day!

skyhigh10 said:
I find I can relate a lot of it to the choices I have made regarding my CF app process. I do believe it will pay off. Hold off on the instant gratification / comparing oneself to others and just stick to ones guns. The difference between passion and ambition ; quite the fabulous read.

Have a nice day!

yeah I really enjoyed when he told the story about having a job in the computer industry , not knowing anything about computers , working there not getting payed , and still enjoying it as much as he could !

"The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara.

A fictional account of the Battle of Gettysburg from the point of view of the more notable participants.

He based the story on writings (letters, diaries, reports, etc.) of the various notables such as Lee, Longstreet, Buford and Chamberlain.

It was suggested by the husband of a coworker prior to making a visit to the Gettysburg Battlefield. In the 11 plus years I've been down here I've driven past or through the town of Gettysburg heading elsewhere, but have never stopped to visit the battle field. I'm planning to make a point of it this year.

cupper said:
"The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara.

A fictional account of the Battle of Gettysburg from the point of view of the more notable participants.

He based the story on writings (letters, diaries, reports, etc.) of the various notables such as Lee, Longstreet, Buford and Chamberlain.

It was suggested by the husband of a coworker prior to making a visit to the Gettysburg Battlefield. In the 11 plus years I've been down here I've driven past or through the town of Gettysburg heading elsewhere, but have never stopped to visit the battle field. I'm planning to make a point of it this year.

If you like "Killer Angels" then you are in for a treat. While Michael Shaara unfortunately died in 1988, his son Jeff Shaara took up the mantle and wrote several books that complemented "KA". The first is a prequel called "Gods and Generals" which follows the same key characters in the first few years of the war leading up to Gettysburg. Another is a sequel to "KA" called "Last full Measure" which follows the same historical characters subsequent to Gettysburg for the rest of the war.

A third book which will also interest you is the book "Gone for Soldiers" which takes place during the Mexican-American War of 1847/8 where virtually any general of note in the Civil War learned their trade as subalterns and young captains.

These books are not truly fiction because they are more properly called Historical Novels because they concern actual historical persons and the writing uses historic facts but with a bit of licence in the novel format. Jeff's writing is every bit as good as his dad's and very much the same style. They've both written other books as well but these four are all connected.

As an aside, Ted Turner (of CNN and Turner Broadcasting and Jane Fonda fame) is a Civil War buff and had Killer Angels made into a four hour movie called "Gettysburg". He followed that up with "Gods and Generals" (3.6 hours) (He played a bit part in each. Both movies are well worth watching although I think "G" is much better (mostly because I think Martin Sheen played a better Lee than Robert Duvall. Both films bombed miserably at the box office and lost scads of money but don't let that dismay you. The subject matter only appeals to a small audience group and if you liked the books you'll like the movies.

:pop:

Back