• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

Thanks FJAG. I had seen parts of both "Gettysburg" and "Gods and Generals" as mini-series when the first came out. I was aware that G&G was adapted from Shaara's novel, bit didn't realize Gettysburg had been adapted from Shaara as well.

I've enjoyed "Killer Angels" thus far, about half way through, just before Longstreet's attack on the second day. I'll have to keep an eye out for the other books you note as well.

cupper said:
I'll have to keep an eye out for the other books you note as well.
They're all available through Amazon and are on Kindle.
:salute:

Spoiler alert.  The Confederates lose.

Great books, great films.  Gettysburg is worth the visit, but almost too touristy.  I much preferred Antietam; the U.S. Parks service does a phenomenal job with these places.

Infanteer said:
Spoiler alert.  The Confederates lose.

Great books, great films.  Gettysburg is worth the visit, but almost too touristy.  I much preferred Antietam; the U.S. Parks service does a phenomenal job with these places.

I've been to Antietam, and live only a few minutes from the Manassas Battlefield. The local Museum has some excellent displays of life in the area during the war.

And you would never know that the South lost, based on the number of streets, schools, and other points of interest named after various Confederate Generals and Politicians.

This is probably going to sound very little kiddish, but the book I've been reading for the past week is "Inheritance" by Christopher Paolini. You never get to old for dragons and sword fights I guess :) I've also recently read "The Last Templar" by Raymond Khoury, it was a pretty interesting read if you're into mystery novels.

Just finished Cloud Atlas (which got made into the strange movie with Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, etc.) 

I'm torn whether I liked the book or not; the bits in the future are definitely better than the movie and makes more sense, but the way that the book is structured (like a set of Russian nesting dolls) just made me think the story didn't "finish". 

Cupper Shaara has also written a historical Novel on WW1, which I read last month, not too bad. He also has a series of WW2 novels out as well.

Just finished Fox on the Rhine and Fox at the Front, a two part Alternate History that has Rommel in charge at the Battle of the Bulge and Operation Valkeryie succeeding. Nice little time waster for the subway ride.

Down side is they were the last two in my latest bulk order form Amazon. I put a new order in from my ever growing wish list, but that's at least a week away. Hopefully the copy of The Elite (A History of the Rhodesian SAS) arrives today; otherwise I'll be making a resupply run to the nearest chapters or forced to play games on my BB during my commute.

Danjanou said:
Just finished Fox on the Rhine and Fox at the Front, a two part Alternate History

If you like alternative history, you might like to try any of the numerous books by Harry Turtledove.  I particularly liked the "Worldwar" series which has as a plot an alien invasion of Earth in the midst of World War II.

Another series which was surprisingly good were the Newt Gingrich co-authored "Gettysburg Trilogy" which posits a Confederate victory at Gettysburg. He's written other stuff as well (which I haven't read yet) although I think they are more in the line of Shaara-like historical novels rather than alternative history.

FJAG said:
If you like alternative history, you might like to try any of the numerous books by Harry Turtledove.  I particularly liked the "Worldwar" series which has as a plot an alien invasion of Earth in the midst of World War II.

Read most of his stuff. Some is good, others crap. Only consistent thing in them is his Canada bashing.

Just finished "The Ghosts of Medak Pocket" by Carol Off and just picked up "How To Grow More Vegetables, Eighth Edition" by John Jeavons.

Messorius said:
Just finished "The Ghosts of Medak Pocket" by Carol Off

I just finished that a couple of weeks ago.  Not bad, but I think some of her comments regarding the CF were a little off and needed more research.

Since then, I have read two fiction novels, the last one being The Sixth Man by David Baldacci.  I think it would make a pretty good movie.

Just about to start Race to Dakar by Charley Boorman and may alternate with Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon (just because I really enjoy reading it).

PMedMoe said:
Since then, I have read two fiction novels, the last one being The Sixth Man by David Baldacci.  I think it would make a pretty good movie.

I've read pretty much all of David Baldacci's novels. I've enjoyed them all, and can recommend them as excellent reads. Since he sets the majority of them in Virgina, I'm familiar with a lot of the locations, and his geography is pretty spot on. Even The Sixth Man with it's setting in Maine I've found accurate. And I get the sense that he hates driving through Maine as much as I do. ;D

cupper said:
I've read pretty much all of David Baldacci's novels. I've enjoyed them all, and can recommend them as excellent reads. Since he sets the majority of them in Virgina, I'm familiar with a lot of the locations, and his geography is pretty spot on. Even The Sixth Man with it's setting in Maine I've found accurate. And I get the sense that he hates driving through Maine as much as I do. ;D

Any others with the King and Maxwell pairing?  I suspect there are, given their history.

PMedMoe said:
Any others with the King and Maxwell pairing?  I suspect there are, given their history.

He has 5 in that series. Starts with "Split Second", then "Hour Game", "Simple Genius", "First Family" and finally "The Sixth Man".

You may also like "The Camel Club" and the others in that series as well.

I'm looking to pick up his new one "The Hit" which was just released this week.

Thanks! Guess it's time to go get a library card.  :nod:

PMedMoe said:
Thanks! Guess it's time to go get a library card.  :nod:

You're gonna need it if you get hooked on Baldacci. I did a quick check on Wikipedia to refresh myself with everything I've read over the years, and not including the children's books, he's put out 26 novels, and I've read 22 of them.

Here's a link to his web site:

http://davidbaldacci.com/

The Rise of China vs. The Logic of Strategy by Edward Luttwak

Discussion on the future of China and his sense that China cannot pursue goals of  economic, military and diplomatic preeminence concurrently without beginning to seriously fail along some of those paths.  Some amusing review of the application of Sun Tzu to the modern world contained within as well. 

Messorius said:
Just finished "The Ghosts of Medak Pocket" by Carol Off

I read it a few years back. If memeory serves a lot of "technical errors"  in it. Mind it is an improvement over what i picked up in the bargain bin (under $5.00) this week at a place on Yong Street.  Tested Mettle by everyone's fav Cpl turned publisher.  About a third of the way in and I remember why I never read it when it came out.  Same sort of errors as in Off's book but while we can excuse her there should be no reason for a former CF member to make such errors, example RCEME did not exit in FYR.

Also we get it you don't like the Brass, no need to mention some imflamatory sensationalist little tidbit every couple of pages.

Unintended consequences.

Kinda reminds me of Pillars of the earth, but with an anti government/pro gun message.

Operation Mincemeat: How a Dead Man and a Bizarre Plan Fooled the Nazis and Assured an Allied Victory
by: Ben Macintyre

The subject has the potential to be really dry and text-bookish but the author has done a brilliant job of bringing this eclectic cast of real people to life and it's a very enjoyable read.
51SIG7wZLaL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU15_.jpg

Back